    disable.
    HP Pavillion t770
    windows XP

    Chris Turner, Oct 19, 2005

  2. Chris Turner

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 16:45:58 +0100, Chris Turner wrote:

    >Can anyone tell me what I can remove from start up and running in the
    >background programmes as there are so many I am not sure what I should
    >disable.
    >HP Pavillion t770
    >windows XP

    You do see it's difficult to make suggestions, not knowing how your
    startup differs from millions of other PCs.

    As it's Win XP, first go with
    http://www.aumha.org/
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/
    2 very good XP reference sites.

    How to see what is in startup, well if you look in past posts in 24HSHD

    Ripped from a Mike post

    Microsoft Windows XP - Understanding the Startup Process
    https://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/prmc_st...

    Control your startups:
    ----------------------
    StartupList
    http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

    Startup Monitor
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml

    Startup Control Panel
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    Check what's necessary and what isn't
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_all.php

    Ripped from a why? post

    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml
    This utility, which has the most comprehensive knowledge of
    auto-starting locations of any startup monitor (A starting list of
    auto-run locations was obtained from David Solomon's "Windows Internals"
    seminar), shows you what programs are configured to run during system
    bootup or login

    Ripped from another why? post

    First 4 found from a search using www.google.com

    http://www.theeldergeek.com/prevent_programs_loading_at_startup.htm

    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_starttrack.htm
    This small GUI (Graphical User Interface) utility will check the Start
    Menu and the System Registry for items that load at startup. It will
    also check for Disabled Startup items and changes to the default "Shell"
    value. Support for listing all running Processes and Services has been
    added.

    http://www.arstechnica.com/tweak/win2k/xp/sgp-tweaks-1.html

    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/n1074208469
    Hi! I have a question that maybe one of you savvy people can answer! I
    have WAY too many programs starting up when I start my computer.

    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml

    Me

    why?, Oct 19, 2005