Slow computer -- power supply related?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by DC, Oct 16, 2005.

  1. DC

    DC Guest

    This is just a preliminary post, a wee bit short on details (as I do not
    have subject PC in front of me), to try and troubleshoot the following
    problem:

    My Mom's computer is running gawdawful slow and I cannot figure out why.

    Programs take forever and a day to load, screen slow to redraw at times,
    etc.

    It's a very basic HP Pavilion mini-ATX system with no bells or whistles.
    It has a Celeron 700MHz processor.

    It has always run slowly, whether under Windows98SE and (now) SuSE Linux
    9.3 Pro.

    In an effort to speed it up, I recently upgraded her to 512MB RAM. No
    joy. What I did learn, however, upon opening up the case is that her PC
    only has a *100W* power supply. HP is a cheapass outfit, dontcha know?

    So, until I gather more details on her system (tonight), I'd like to
    know if an underpowered system (which, at 100W, I feel that it is) would
    actually appear to run slowly.

    I'll get back to the group with more details as I gather them/or as
    requested to help solve this vexing problem.

    Thanks.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Viruses, Instability, Spyware, Trojans, Adware -- Pre-order today!
    -= http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx =-

    DC, Oct 16, 2005

  2. DC wrote:

    > This is just a preliminary post, a wee bit short on details (as
    > I do not have subject PC in front of me), to try and
    > troubleshoot the following problem:
    >
    > My Mom's computer is running gawdawful slow and I cannot figure
    > out why.
    >
    > Programs take forever and a day to load, screen slow to redraw
    > at times, etc.
    >
    > It's a very basic HP Pavilion mini-ATX system with no bells or
    > whistles. It has a Celeron 700MHz processor.
    >
    > It has always run slowly, whether under Windows98SE and (now)
    > SuSE Linux 9.3 Pro.

    *Mom*'s running Linux? You go, Mom! :)

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all Google Groups posts.

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 16, 2005

  3. DC

    DC Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > DC wrote:

    >> This is just a preliminary post, a wee bit short on details (as
    >> I do not have subject PC in front of me), to try and
    >> troubleshoot the following problem:

    >> My Mom's computer is running gawdawful slow and I cannot figure
    >> out why.

    >> Programs take forever and a day to load, screen slow to redraw
    >> at times, etc.

    >> It's a very basic HP Pavilion mini-ATX system with no bells or
    >> whistles. It has a Celeron 700MHz processor.

    >> It has always run slowly, whether under Windows98SE and (now)
    >> SuSE Linux 9.3 Pro.

    > *Mom*'s running Linux? You go, Mom! :)

    As her admin, I didn't exactly leave her the choice. };O)

    After one of her neighbour's kids came over, one afternoon, and went to one
    dicey site too many, Windows was completely fubar, overrun with spyware and
    viruses. I had just done a service call for routine maintenance and updates
    (and free roast beef dinner <g>) *the weekend prior* and gave it a clean bill of
    health.

    Enough of this shit, I sez.

    My baby sister was kinda choked up that she couldn't have genuine MSN Messenger
    with all of
    its built-in IncrediMailness. Boo fricken hoo.

    I installed it about 2 months ago, now. Not a single complaint -- homework is
    getting done, she's always online chatting with my kids, business as usual...

    Oh, and I've lost 8 lbs. }:O)

    DC, Oct 16, 2005
  4. DC wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> DC wrote:

    >>> This is just a preliminary post, a wee bit short on details
    >>> (as I do not have subject PC in front of me), to try and
    >>> troubleshoot the following problem:

    >>> My Mom's computer is running gawdawful slow and I cannot
    >>> figure out why.

    >>> Programs take forever and a day to load, screen slow to redraw
    >>> at times, etc.

    >>> It's a very basic HP Pavilion mini-ATX system with no bells or
    >>> whistles. It has a Celeron 700MHz processor.

    >>> It has always run slowly, whether under Windows98SE and (now)
    >>> SuSE Linux 9.3 Pro.

    >> *Mom*'s running Linux? You go, Mom! :)

    > As her admin, I didn't exactly leave her the choice. };O)

    Power can be a good thing, if applied wisely. :)

    > After one of her neighbour's kids came over, one afternoon, and
    > went to one dicey site too many, Windows was completely fubar,
    > overrun with spyware and viruses. I had just done a service
    > call for routine maintenance and updates (and free roast beef
    > dinner <g>) *the weekend prior* and gave it a clean bill of
    > health.

    Ouch.

    > Enough of this shit, I sez.

    Aye!

    > My baby sister was kinda choked up that she couldn't have
    > genuine MSN Messenger with all of
    > its built-in IncrediMailness. Boo fricken hoo.

    Indeed.

    > I installed it about 2 months ago, now. Not a single complaint
    > -- homework is getting done, she's always online chatting with
    > my kids, business as usual...

    Bitchin'.

    > Oh, and I've lost 8 lbs. }:O)

    Caught something from the roast beef? :)

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 16, 2005
  5. DC

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > DC wrote:
    >
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> *Mom*'s running Linux? You go, Mom! :)

    >> As her admin, I didn't exactly leave her the choice. };O)

    > Power can be a good thing, if applied wisely. :)
    >
    >> After one of her neighbour's kids came over, one afternoon, and
    >> went to one dicey site too many, Windows was completely fubar,
    >> overrun with spyware and viruses. I had just done a service
    >> call for routine maintenance and updates (and free roast beef
    >> dinner <g>) *the weekend prior* and gave it a clean bill of
    >> health.

    > Ouch.
    >
    >> Enough of this shit, I sez.

    > Aye!
    >
    >> My baby sister was kinda choked up that she couldn't have
    >> genuine MSN Messenger with all of
    >> its built-in IncrediMailness. Boo fricken hoo.

    > Indeed.
    >
    >> I installed it about 2 months ago, now. Not a single complaint
    >> -- homework is getting done, she's always online chatting with
    >> my kids, business as usual...

    > Bitchin'.
    >
    >> Oh, and I've lost 8 lbs. }:O)

    > Caught something from the roast beef? :)

    I bet it's just the lack of service calls <g>

    like an idiot.

    Toolman Tim, Oct 16, 2005
  6. Toolman Tim wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> DC wrote:

    >>> As her admin, I didn't exactly leave her the choice. };O)

    >> Power can be a good thing, if applied wisely. :)
    >>
    >>> After one of her neighbour's kids came over, one afternoon,
    >>> and went to one dicey site too many, Windows was completely
    >>> fubar, overrun with spyware and viruses. I had just done a
    >>> service call for routine maintenance and updates (and free
    >>> roast beef dinner <g>) *the weekend prior* and gave it a clean
    >>> bill of health.

    >> Ouch.
    >>
    >>> Enough of this shit, I sez.

    >> Aye!
    >>
    >>> My baby sister was kinda choked up that she couldn't have
    >>> genuine MSN Messenger with all of its built-in
    >>> IncrediMailness. Boo fricken hoo.

    >> Indeed.
    >>
    >>> I installed it about 2 months ago, now. Not a single
    >>> complaint -- homework is getting done, she's always online
    >>> chatting with my kids, business as usual...

    >> Bitchin'.
    >>
    >>> Oh, and I've lost 8 lbs. }:O)

    >> Caught something from the roast beef? :)

    > I bet it's just the lack of service calls <g>

    Figured that out after I posted. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 16, 2005
  7. DC

    DC Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:

    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>> DC wrote:

    [...]

    >>> Caught something from the roast beef? :)

    >> I bet it's just the lack of service calls <g>

    > Figured that out after I posted. :)

    We had spaghetti, tonight. Mmmm. }:O9

    DC, Oct 17, 2005
  8. DC

    Dan Evans Guest

    "DC" <> wrote in message

    > So, until I gather more details on her system (tonight), I'd like to
    > know if an underpowered system (which, at 100W, I feel that it is) would
    > actually appear to run slowly.

    More likely that componants would manage, just, on the available power, then
    just stop - though it's possible that if the HDD motor isn't receiving
    enough power it will slow down. Try putting a new HDD cable in. Also make
    sure that the hard drive isn't sharing its cable with the CD.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Oct 17, 2005
  9. DC

    DC Guest

    Dan Evans wrote:

    > "DC" <> wrote in message

    >> So, until I gather more details on her system (tonight), I'd like to
    >> know if an underpowered system (which, at 100W, I feel that it is) would
    >> actually appear to run slowly.

    > More likely that componants would manage, just, on the available power, then
    > just stop - though it's possible that if the HDD motor isn't receiving
    > enough power it will slow down. Try putting a new HDD cable in. Also make
    > sure that the hard drive isn't sharing its cable with the CD.

    Thanks, Dan. I'll try a new cable next time I go over there. As far as
    sharing the cable, you wouldn't believe how jam packed that case is.
    It's doubtful that I could get a new cable in there, provided there is
    even a second IDE receptacle on the mobo.

    I'll let you know.

    DC, Oct 17, 2005
  10. DC wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> DC wrote:

    >>> This is just a preliminary post, a wee bit short on details (as
    >>> I do not have subject PC in front of me), to try and
    >>> troubleshoot the following problem:

    >>> My Mom's computer is running gawdawful slow and I cannot figure
    >>> out why.

    >>> Programs take forever and a day to load, screen slow to redraw
    >>> at times, etc.

    Since you already know that computer, you surely have a "lshw" or
    "lspci" or (windows) "hwconfig" outprint?
    Looks somehow like only generic chipset support resulting in no dma,
    or/and no graphic acceleration.
    Which chipset, which kernel?

    >>> It's a very basic HP Pavilion mini-ATX system with no bells or
    >>> whistles. It has a Celeron 700MHz processor.

    >>> It has always run slowly, whether under Windows98SE and (now)
    >>> SuSE Linux 9.3 Pro.

    You cannot expect miracles. What GUI did you give mom? Probably unwise
    to change it now since she's already used to it ... but even kde or
    gnome can be a bit "slipstreamed" by turning off unneeded "services".

    To your original question: unless it's a laptop on batteries, there is
    no psu dependent throttling. However, a overheated cpu will slow down
    (check fan running and blow the dust bunnies off the heatsink, also
    check correct plain seat) and processes racing away (top in linux
    should show).

    >> *Mom*'s running Linux? You go, Mom! :)

    > As her admin, I didn't exactly leave her the choice. };O)

    > Oh, and I've lost 8 lbs. }:O)

    *g*
    to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
    Linux woodpecker.fdns.net 2.6.12-mm2[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Oct 17, 2005
  11. DC

    PC Guest

    "DC" <> wrote in message
    > This is just a preliminary post, a wee bit short on details (as I do not
    > have subject PC in front of me), to try and troubleshoot the following
    > problem:
    >
    > My Mom's computer is running gawdawful slow and I cannot figure out why.
    >
    > Programs take forever and a day to load, screen slow to redraw at times,
    > etc.
    >
    > It's a very basic HP Pavilion mini-ATX system with no bells or whistles.
    > It has a Celeron 700MHz processor.
    >
    > It has always run slowly, whether under Windows98SE and (now) SuSE Linux
    > 9.3 Pro.
    >
    > In an effort to speed it up, I recently upgraded her to 512MB RAM. No
    > joy. What I did learn, however, upon opening up the case is that her PC
    > only has a *100W* power supply. HP is a cheapass outfit, dontcha know?
    >
    > So, until I gather more details on her system (tonight), I'd like to
    > know if an underpowered system (which, at 100W, I feel that it is) would
    > actually appear to run slowly.
    >
    > I'll get back to the group with more details as I gather them/or as
    > requested to help solve this vexing problem.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001
    >
    > Viruses, Instability, Spyware, Trojans, Adware -- Pre-order today!
    > -= http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx =-

    DC

    No the 'capacity' of the power supply will not make the PC run slow.
    If the powersupply is 'underpowered' the PC will simply not start, or will
    tend to be flakey when pushed (playing a CD while defragging and playing a
    graphics heavy game at the same time).
    BTW those 100W HP power supplies have a reputation of expiring fairly early
    in the PC's life cycle and, they are usually custom size (read to small for
    a 'normal' power supply) and possibly custom wiring as well.

    I think you will find the answer is in your statement:
    "It's a very basic HP Pavilion mini-ATX system with no bells or whistles.
    It has a Celeron 700MHz processor."
    In general basic PC's cut back in things like onboard cache, fast hard
    drives etc.
    Combined with a Celeron which were never more that 'leasurely' in their
    performance you have the equivalent of a car with the 'smallest' engine
    option.

    Continuing the Car analogy; looked at from the other angle the smaller
    option usually means smaller wheels/tyres, lighter brakes, and other
    'economies' that simply mean the thing just won't go as fast.
    Put a bigger fuel tank in it and it'll go furthur (=more Ram) but it won't
    go any 'faster'

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Oct 17, 2005
  12. On 16 Oct 2005 18:54:50 GMT, DC <> wrote:

    >This is just a preliminary post, a wee bit short on details (as I do not
    >have subject PC in front of me), to try and troubleshoot the following
    >problem:
    >
    >My Mom's computer is running gawdawful slow and I cannot figure out why.
    >
    >Programs take forever and a day to load, screen slow to redraw at times,
    >etc.
    >
    >It's a very basic HP Pavilion mini-ATX system with no bells or whistles.
    >It has a Celeron 700MHz processor.
    >
    >It has always run slowly, whether under Windows98SE and (now) SuSE Linux
    >9.3 Pro.
    >
    >In an effort to speed it up, I recently upgraded her to 512MB RAM. No
    >joy. What I did learn, however, upon opening up the case is that her PC
    >only has a *100W* power supply. HP is a cheapass outfit, dontcha know?
    >
    >So, until I gather more details on her system (tonight), I'd like to
    >know if an underpowered system (which, at 100W, I feel that it is) would
    >actually appear to run slowly.
    >
    >I'll get back to the group with more details as I gather them/or as
    >requested to help solve this vexing problem.
    >
    >Thanks.

    Is there a "bloatware" anti-virus program?
    My puter slowed right down after an virus update.For years VirusScan
    worked unobtrusively in the backgrouns then all at once it slowed
    things down to a crawl.

    valeofbelvoirdrinker, Oct 18, 2005
  13. DC

    Dan Evans Guest

    "valeofbelvoirdrinker" <> wrote in message

    > Is there a "bloatware" anti-virus program?
    > My puter slowed right down after an virus update.For years VirusScan
    > worked unobtrusively in the backgrouns then all at once it slowed
    > things down to a crawl.

    I think this part of the origianl post is pertinant.

    >>It has always run slowly, whether under Windows98SE and (now) SuSE Linux
    >>9.3 Pro.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Oct 18, 2005