    Win98se
    Regards
    Bill
    Bill Purvis, Nov 5, 2003

  2. Bill Purvis

    °Mike° Guest

    Basic computer maintenance

    On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 15:17:21 -0000, in
    <bob476$v4s$>
    Bill Purvis scrawled:

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD
    °Mike°, Nov 5, 2003

  3. Bill Purvis

    Bill Purvis Guest

    Thanks Mike
    I use HDValet regularly,reduced My Documents content,empty recycle bin
    after every session,empty cache and delete temp files after every
    session, scan disc and defrag weekly but the problem persists.
    Regards
    Bill

    Bill Purvis, Nov 5, 2003
  4. Bill Purvis

    °Mike° Guest

    What about cleaning your registry? How about all of the
    other applications you have open? Have you streamlined
    your startups?

    On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 20:08:16 -0000, in
    <bobl8l$n2t$>
    Bill Purvis scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Nov 5, 2003
  5. Bill Purvis

    Bill Purvis Guest

    I use Regcleaner frequently.
    The other apps that are open are the same as long before the problem
    started.
    I'm going to look at startups now.

    Bill Purvis, Nov 5, 2003
  6. Bill Purvis

    Bill Purvis Guest

    I think the startups are OK.
    The computer is not running slow except for the folder closing problem.
    It is most noticeable after I come off the internet and I then use
    Norton Clean Sweep to temporally cure the problem.
    Regards
    Bill

    Bill Purvis, Nov 6, 2003
  7. Bill Purvis

    °Mike° Guest

    You use Norton CleanSweep to cure the problem? How so?

    On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 09:42:50 -0000, in
    <bod4vs$p87$>
    Bill Purvis scrawled:

    °Mike°, Nov 6, 2003
  8. Bill Purvis

    Bill Purvis Guest

    I just open Norton System Works, select Clean Sweep and clean whatever
    is available to clean. The problem is cured and folders close
    instantaneously, but it is only temporary and it comes back after a
    session on the net. Folders then take about 2 secs to close.

    Bill Purvis, Nov 6, 2003
  9. Bill Purvis

    °Mike° Guest

    I'm not familiar with Clean Sweep, or what it does, but it
    sounds like cleanup maintenance, as I originally suggested.
    How large is your temporary internet files cache? Try
    reducing it. Do you have IE set to clear history and temporary
    internet files on exit? Could that be what's causing the
    delay on closing?

    On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 21:37:07 -0000, in
    <boeer6$ppi$>
    Bill Purvis scrawled:

    °Mike°, Nov 6, 2003
  10. Bill Purvis

    Bill Purvis Guest

    I'll try what you suggest and post back.

    Bill Purvis, Nov 6, 2003
  11. Bill Purvis

    Bill Purvis Guest

    Temp internet file cache = 300mb
    Didn't have IE set to clear history/temp files on exit but I do now.

    Bill Purvis, Nov 6, 2003
  12. Bill Purvis

    Bill Purvis Guest

    So far so good.
    Clearing temp int files on exit seems to have worked.
    Have left cache at 300mb at the moment. Is this too big?
    > Temp internet file cache = 300mb
    > Didn't have IE set to clear history/temp files on exit but I do now.
    > "Bill Purvis" <> wrote in message
    > > I'll try what you suggest and post back.
    > >
    > > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > > > I'm not familiar with Clean Sweep, or what it does, but it
    > > > sounds like cleanup maintenance, as I originally suggested.
    > > > How large is your temporary internet files cache? Try
    > > > reducing it. Do you have IE set to clear history and temporary
    > > > internet files on exit? Could that be what's causing the
    > > > delay on closing?
    > > >

    > > > On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 21:37:07 -0000, in
    > > > <boeer6$ppi$>
    > > > Bill Purvis scrawled:

    > > whatever

    > use

    message

    Bill Purvis, Nov 6, 2003
  13. Bill Purvis

    °Mike° Guest

    Three hundred megabytes for temporary internet files?
    That's not necessary, particularly if you perform regular
    maintenance. I have mine set to 10 MB. I don't see
    the point in a larger cache, unless you visit the same
    pages regularly, AND those pages do not change content.

    Would you clarify a couple of things; is this "folder" problem
    with Internet Explorer, or with Windows Explorer? And do
    you browse with Windows Explorer, or strictly IE?

    On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 22:13:24 -0000, in
    <boegv6$ccr$>
    Bill Purvis scrawled:

    >Temp internet file cache = 300mb
    >Didn't have IE set to clear history/temp files on exit but I do now.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Nov 6, 2003
  14. Bill Purvis

    °Mike° Guest

    See my other reply; yes.

    On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 22:37:17 -0000, in
    <boeic2$eh$>
    Bill Purvis scrawled:

    °Mike°, Nov 6, 2003
  15. Bill Purvis

    Bill Purvis Guest

    I browse with IE but the folder problem was with any Windows folder.
    I say was because it seems to be sorted since I have elected to clear
    Temp Internet files on exit.
    I will reduce temporary internet file cache to 10 MB as you suggest.
    Many thanks for your help.
    Regards
    Bill

    Bill Purvis, Nov 7, 2003
  16. Bill Purvis

    °Mike° Guest

    Excellent. And you're welcome.

    On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 09:43:06 -0000, in
    <bofpcb$js0$>
    Bill Purvis scrawled:

    >I browse with IE but the folder problem was with any Windows folder.
    >I say was because it seems to be sorted since I have elected to clear
    >Temp Internet files on exit.
    >I will reduce temporary internet file cache to 10 MB as you suggest.
    >Many thanks for your help.
    >Regards
    >Bill

    <snip>