Slow boot

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Jello, Mar 29, 2009.

  1. Jello

    Jello Guest

    I have a P4 HT 3.06 GHz with 3 GB ram and xp pro corp
    power on to ready just under 2 mins

    I bought a dell Inspiron 1545 this week

    Core 2 duo6400 2GHz
    4GB ram and vista home premium 64 bit
    power on to ready 5 mins

    i havent installed any progs yet because i still have one more week to
    decide if im gonna keep it, so its exactly the same when it left dell's
    factory

    isnt vista bootup supposed to be faster than xp bootup?

    any ideas on what i can turn off?

    could aero be the problem?

    thx in advance

    Jello, Mar 29, 2009

  2. Jello

    Jane C Guest

    "Jello" <> wrote in message
    >I have a P4 HT 3.06 GHz with 3 GB ram and xp pro corp
    > power on to ready just under 2 mins
    >
    > I bought a dell Inspiron 1545 this week
    >
    > Core 2 duo6400 2GHz
    > 4GB ram and vista home premium 64 bit
    > power on to ready 5 mins
    >
    > i havent installed any progs yet because i still have one more week to
    > decide if im gonna keep it, so its exactly the same when it left dell's
    > factory
    >
    > isnt vista bootup supposed to be faster than xp bootup?
    >
    > any ideas on what i can turn off?
    >
    > could aero be the problem?
    >
    > thx in advance

    What software came preloaded by Dell? What is set to run at startup? Are
    there any indications in Event Viewer as to what is causing the system to
    load slowly?

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    MVP - Windows Desktop Experience

    Jane C, Mar 29, 2009

  3. As Jane suggests, I'd look at what c-r-a-p-w-a-r-e Dell has preloaded.
    Another possibility is a hardware issue that Dell is somehow having to time
    out on. If this includes a new wireless cell card, for example, it may need
    to be configured before it will boot quickly. Almost any networking can slow
    down boot if there's an issue, so that tends to be where I start first.

    IME, Vista boots faster than XP for similar equipment and similar programs
    loaded. I don't know that it's significantly different, but the end user
    perception is faster. But all of that depends on the actual hardware and
    software.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 29, 2009
  4. Jello

    Carlos Guest

    And the OP might want to install Autoruns
    (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx) in order to
    check thoroughly what is being loaded during boot.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 29, 2009
  5. Jello

    Jello Guest

    i turned off the system restore service that runs when windows boots
    plus some extra services that only use on corporate networks
    and that god awfull sidebar (whose smart idea was that monstrosity :p)
    it shaved the time down to just under 2 mins
    now it seems alot better

    thanks guys for answering!!!!
    namaste

    Jello, Mar 30, 2009