Slow Boot?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Chris Jahn, Sep 9, 2007.

  1. Chris Jahn

    Chris Jahn Guest

    (Anthony Martinez ) wrote in

    > My computer was infected with a virus. I removed it with
    > anti-spyware software. Now my computer icons takes forever to
    > populate the screen. Sometimes I wonder if the icons are going
    > to appear at all when I reboot. How can I speed up the
    > population of my sceen icons? My computer was infected the
    > Trojan.W32.Looksky virus.

    Time to do some housekeeping; do a scandisk, then defragment your
    harddrive.

    --
    Mozilla & Netscape FAQs: http://www.ufaq.org/
    Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird/Seamonkey solutions: http://ilias.ca/

    Are you still here? The message is over. Shoo! Go away!

    Chris Jahn, Sep 9, 2007

  2. Chris Jahn

    Buffalo Guest

    "Anthony Martinez " <> wrote in message
    > My computer was infected with a virus. I removed it with anti-spyware
    > software. Now my computer icons takes forever to populate the screen.
    > Sometimes I wonder if the icons are going to appear at all when I
    > reboot. How can I speed up the population of my sceen icons? My
    > computer was infected the Trojan.W32.Looksky virus.

    What OS, 98?2000?XP?Vista?

    Anthony Martinez, Sep 9, 2007
  4. Chris Jahn

    > On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 11:57:37 -0600, "Buffalo" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Anthony Martinez " <> wrote in message
    > >> My computer was infected with a virus. I removed it with anti-spyware
    > >> software. Now my computer icons takes forever to populate the screen.
    > >> Sometimes I wonder if the icons are going to appear at all when I
    > >> reboot. How can I speed up the population of my sceen icons? My
    > >> computer was infected the Trojan.W32.Looksky virus.

    > >What OS, 98?2000?XP?Vista?

    > 2000 Professional..

    Try deleting your "shelliconcache" located at (C:\Winnit\shelliconcache)
    and reboot. Upon reboot, it will be rebuilt.
    This will at least eliminate the problem of a corrupted 'ShellIconCache' .
    A decent 'free' program to try is 'SuperAntiSpyware' for malware
    problems.
    Download the free version, install it, update it and then run it in
    'Complete' scan mode.
    Gotta run.
    Hopefully someone else will help if your problem continues.

    Buffalo, Sep 9, 2007
  5. On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 11:57:37 -0600, "Buffalo" <>
    wrote:

    >"Anthony Martinez " <> wrote in message
    >> My computer was infected with a virus. I removed it with anti-spyware
    >> software. Now my computer icons takes forever to populate the screen.
    >> Sometimes I wonder if the icons are going to appear at all when I
    >> reboot. How can I speed up the population of my sceen icons? My
    >> computer was infected the Trojan.W32.Looksky virus.

    >What OS, 98?2000?XP?Vista?

    2000 Professional..

    Anthony Martinez, Sep 9, 2007
  6. Chris Jahn

    ProfGene Guest

    Anthony Martinez wrote:
    > My computer was infected with a virus. I removed it with anti-spyware
    > software. Now my computer icons takes forever to populate the screen.
    > Sometimes I wonder if the icons are going to appear at all when I
    > reboot. How can I speed up the population of my sceen icons? My
    > computer was infected the Trojan.W32.Looksky virus.

    Run msconfig and see what your computer loads on boot and remove all
    essential programs. Run an anti-spyware program, delete cookies and
    files and history. Defrag the hard disk.

    ProfGene, Oct 5, 2007