Slow boot up

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Lee Davison, Sep 20, 2005.

  1. Lee Davison

    Lee Davison Guest

    Win 2k, ie6, oe6

    Hey all,
    My computer takes around 4 mins to boot up. Ive taken to bringing a book
    with me to read while it does. I once even fell asleep (and fell off the
    chair) while waiting for it to boot.
    I dont have any major problems / massive files / programs etc and im spyware
    and virus free.

    Any idea how I could speed things up a little, as far as i remember its
    always been like this.

    I dont know if this helps:

    Time of this report: 9/20/2005, 19:36:47
    Machine name: XXX
    Operating System: Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195) Service
    Pack 4
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: GBT___
    System Model: GA-7VAXP
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2200+, ~1.8GHz
    Memory: 512MB RAM
    Page File: 333MB used, 911MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINNT
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.0001.0904 32bit Unicode

    Thanks
    Lee
    --
    "Okay Scotty, now beam down my clothes."
    www.geocities.com/ldavison10
    Lee Davison, Sep 20, 2005

  2. Lee Davison

    philo Guest

    Lee Davison wrote:
    > Win 2k, ie6, oe6
    >
    > Hey all,
    > My computer takes around 4 mins to boot up. Ive taken to bringing a book
    > with me to read while it does. I once even fell asleep (and fell off the
    > chair) while waiting for it to boot.
    > I dont have any major problems / massive files / programs etc and im spyware
    > and virus free.
    >
    > Any idea how I could speed things up a little, as far as i remember its
    > always been like this.
    >
    > I dont know if this helps:
    >
    > Time of this report: 9/20/2005, 19:36:47
    > Machine name: XXX
    > Operating System: Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195) Service
    > Pack 4

    you may have too many apps in startup.
    win2k does not have msconfig like most other windows versions...
    but if you have access to an XP machine you could copy it over...
    it makes editing your startup menu easy...
    and most apps can be removed .

    otherwise you may google for other easy to use startup managers...
    philo, Sep 20, 2005

  3. Lee Davison

    Lee Davison Guest

    I have System Mechanic installed which comes with a windows start up
    manager. I have 13 applications enabled, and 22 disabled. Does this seem
    excessive? Some of the ones which are enabled I do not know what they do eg
    NVMediaCenter, SunJavaUpdateSched, NvCplDaemon, Nwiz, TKBellExe.

    I could probably disable some of these if I knew what they were!

    Thanks for the post,
    Lee

    Lee Davison, Sep 20, 2005
  4. Lee Davison

    Rich Wilson Guest

    "Lee Davison" <> wrote in message
    > Win 2k, ie6, oe6
    >
    > Hey all,
    > My computer takes around 4 mins to boot up. Ive taken to bringing a book
    > with me to read while it does. I once even fell asleep (and fell off the
    > chair) while waiting for it to boot.

    LOL :)

    > I dont have any major problems / massive files / programs etc and im
    > spyware
    > and virus free.

    Did your computer get a clean install of Windows or was it an upgrade?
    Sometimes upgraded copies of Windows seem to do this sort of thing.

    Also, do you have any network cards that aren't actually plugged into a
    network? Try disabling them if you do.
    Rich Wilson, Sep 21, 2005
  5. Lee Davison

    Guest

    I think you have too many apps in startup.
    You can carry on an underneath a few steps:
    1)"Start"--"Run" enter "regedit" open the regedit.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\Setup

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    search unconventionality programme.
    but, it so troublesome, i recommend "Security expert" with you.
    it can light loose of resolve these problems,Your needs to be click
    "Autorun manage" ,
    Not only such, you can go to http://securityexpert.cnns.net/startup.htm
    to know more.
    The system can also protect you isn't attackstoned with hacker by
    virus.
    Website: http://securityexpert.cnns.net
    , Sep 21, 2005
  6. Lee Davison

    philo Guest

    Lee Davison wrote:
    > I have System Mechanic installed which comes with a windows start up
    > manager. I have 13 applications enabled, and 22 disabled. Does this seem
    > excessive? Some of the ones which are enabled I do not know what they do eg
    > NVMediaCenter, SunJavaUpdateSched, NvCplDaemon, Nwiz, TKBellExe.
    >
    > I could probably disable some of these if I knew what they were!
    >
    > Thanks for the post,
    > Lee
    >

    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Lee Davison wrote:
    >>
    >>>Win 2k, ie6, oe6
    >>>
    >>>Hey all,
    >>>My computer takes around 4 mins to boot up. Ive taken to bringing a book
    >>>with me to read while it does. I once even fell asleep (and fell off the
    >>>chair) while waiting for it to boot.
    >>>I dont have any major problems / massive files / programs etc and im

    > spyware
    >
    >>>and virus free.
    >>>
    >>>Any idea how I could speed things up a little, as far as i remember its
    >>>always been like this.
    >>>
    >>>I dont know if this helps:
    >>>
    >>>Time of this report: 9/20/2005, 19:36:47
    >>> Machine name: XXX
    >>> Operating System: Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195) Service
    >>>Pack 4
    >>>

    >>you may have too many apps in startup.
    >>win2k does not have msconfig like most other windows versions...
    >>but if you have access to an XP machine you could copy it over...
    >>it makes editing your startup menu easy...
    >>and most apps can be removed .
    >>
    >>otherwise you may google for other easy to use startup managers...

    I'd take everything out except your virus checker and firewall
    philo, Sep 21, 2005
  7. Lee Davison

    Rich Wilson Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I think you have too many apps in startup.
    > You can carry on an underneath a few steps:
    > 1)"Start"--"Run" enter "regedit" open the regedit.
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\Setup
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    > search unconventionality programme.

    Yep, that'd work, but why not use the System Configuration Utility? (Start,
    Run, type "msconfig" and click OK).
    Rich Wilson, Sep 21, 2005