Slow Boot-up

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by WeeWilly, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    I have XPpro... pretty quick machine with plenty of memory..
    Somewhat recently.. can't pinpoint the time.. maybe about the time of the MS
    update that caused my scrolling to come up with problems.. I've been having
    a pretty slow boot-up.

    I keep temp files cleared as well as temp internet files.. IE.. do pretty
    regular maintenance on the rig.

    When I boot up.. most things seem to load pretty fast.. but the last items
    take about 45+ seconds to show up in the task bar.
    The last things to pop up.. at the same time will be ZoneAlarm and AVG as
    well as a thermometer that tells you the temp of the processor.

    I don't know where to go to possibly clean up the start system.. used to be
    autoexec.bat and sys.ini??? can't remember.

    But, I'd like help removing junk that might be causing this slowdown.

    Thanks to anyone who is willing to help me...

    Bill

    WeeWilly, Dec 17, 2003

  2. WeeWilly

    Unk Guest

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:13:42 -0800, "WeeWilly" <> wrote:

    >I have XPpro... pretty quick machine with plenty of memory..
    >Somewhat recently.. can't pinpoint the time.. maybe about the time of the MS
    >update that caused my scrolling to come up with problems.. I've been having
    >a pretty slow boot-up.
    >
    >I keep temp files cleared as well as temp internet files.. IE.. do pretty
    >regular maintenance on the rig.
    >
    >When I boot up.. most things seem to load pretty fast.. but the last items
    >take about 45+ seconds to show up in the task bar.
    >The last things to pop up.. at the same time will be ZoneAlarm and AVG as
    >well as a thermometer that tells you the temp of the processor.
    >
    >I don't know where to go to possibly clean up the start system.. used to be
    >autoexec.bat and sys.ini??? can't remember.
    >
    >But, I'd like help removing junk that might be causing this slowdown.
    >
    >Thanks to anyone who is willing to help me...
    >
    >Bill

    You could enable bootlogging. Press F8 after the BIOS post, select "Enable
    Bootlogging". After Windows starts, the file to examine is
    "C:\Windows\ntblog.txt".

    Maybe some help here: http://tinyurl.com/26y3k

    Unk, Dec 17, 2003

  3. WeeWilly

    Unknown Guest

    Of course. The big question is why did you install it in the first place?

    Unknown, Dec 17, 2003
  4. WeeWilly

    Dribbler Guest

    "WeeWilly" <> wrote in message
    > I have XPpro... pretty quick machine with plenty of memory..
    > Somewhat recently.. can't pinpoint the time.. maybe about the time of the

    MS
    > update that caused my scrolling to come up with problems.. I've been

    having
    > a pretty slow boot-up.
    >
    > I keep temp files cleared as well as temp internet files.. IE.. do pretty
    > regular maintenance on the rig.
    >
    > When I boot up.. most things seem to load pretty fast.. but the last items
    > take about 45+ seconds to show up in the task bar.
    > The last things to pop up.. at the same time will be ZoneAlarm and AVG as
    > well as a thermometer that tells you the temp of the processor.
    >
    > I don't know where to go to possibly clean up the start system.. used to

    be
    > autoexec.bat and sys.ini??? can't remember.
    >
    > But, I'd like help removing junk that might be causing this slowdown.
    >
    > Thanks to anyone who is willing to help me...
    >
    > Bill

    ---

    Dribbler, Dec 17, 2003
  5. WeeWilly

    °Mike° Guest

    Basic computer maintenance

    Install, update and use the following:

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/
    SpyBot S&D guide

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Spyware Blaster

    HijackThis
    http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

    CWShredder

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:13:42 -0800, in
    <>
    WeeWilly scrawled:

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD

    °Mike°, Dec 17, 2003
  6. WeeWilly

    trout Guest

    Unknown wrote:

    > Of course. The big question is why did you install it in the first
    > place?

    "Of course"? What's this supposed to mean? It might *seem* to speed
    things up if, for example, a spyware program was allowed to call home at
    will, instead of having repeated attempts blocked.
    Likewise; any program that's been given permission to update to its
    heart's desire; while being refused permission by the firewall.
    It is the people that run into problems because they don't know how
    to properly configure a firewall, and the programs that may access it,
    that probably have the greatest need of one. That tracks both incoming
    and *outgoing* traffic.

    --
    "My car seems to go faster, now that I've had the brakes removed."

    trout, Dec 17, 2003
  7. WeeWilly

    M Mullen Guest

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 21:36:49 -0000, "Dribbler"
    <> wrote:

    |> I know next to nothing about computers, but when my XP using computer slowed
    |> down (and I mean SERIOUSLY slowed down), I removed zonealarm and it
    |> miraculously speeded up again.

    This was a serious problem with ZoneAlarm and has been addressed in the recent
    versions, vsmon.exe was taking all the cpu it could get.
    --
    ,,
    ( "> w

    M Mullen, Dec 18, 2003
  8. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    > You could enable bootlogging. Press F8 after the BIOS post, select
    "Enable
    > Bootlogging". After Windows starts, the file to examine is
    > "C:\Windows\ntblog.txt".
    >
    > Maybe some help here: http://tinyurl.com/26y3k

    Thanks.. I've done both.. I created the boot log you suggested.. but don't
    know how to analyze it. Is this a place for that kind of help? I could
    copy and paste the bootlog if that would be helpful.

    I've also asked a question at the above URL you gave.

    WeeWilly, Dec 18, 2003