    in the equivalent C:\ dir and change the path. Where can I change this path?

    Thanks in advance.

    Elmo.
    Johnny B Good, Jul 27, 2006

  2. Johnny B Good

    David Guest

    Johnny B Good wrote:
    > Got an XP box that takes longer than usual to boot. Some of the slow booting
    > apps are on the second drive eg D:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    > Why there is a win dir in the second hdd I don't know. Can I put the file/s
    > in the equivalent C:\ dir and change the path. Where can I change this path?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Elmo.

    I don't think you can have parts of an xp install on a different drive.
    Where does %systemroot% point? (Type it in the run box and see which
    folder pops up to find out.)
    David, Jul 27, 2006

  3. system root is indeed c:\ but why the partial install and use of said dir
    for boot purposes?
    71 sec for boot up. My old laptop is faster with XP.

    Johnny B Good, Jul 27, 2006
  4. In message <ea9ed8$3fc$>, Johnny B Good wrote:

    > Got an XP box that takes longer than usual to boot. Some of the slow
    > booting apps are on the second drive eg D:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

    If it's not part of your regular Dimdows install, then perhaps it's a Trojan
    <http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/svchost.exe.html>,
    <http://www.klake.org/~jt/malware/svchost/>.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 27, 2006