    PC. Was looking forward to a lightning fast machine! Am at a loss.

    Any help??

    Chuck

    Chuck, Jul 13, 2005

  2. Chuck

    Amduh1 Guest

    "Chuck" <> wrote in message
    news:%23thNM1$...
    > Am in the process of replacing a WinXP with 2@ 732 MHz processors and 512
    > MB of RAM with a new WinXP x64.
    > The WinXP x64 has 2@ 3.2GHz processors and 4 GB of RAM. But it takes ages
    > to bring up applications. And in Photoshop Bridge it took tens of minutes
    > to create psd thumbnails. This is all much slower than my old
    > under-powered PC. Was looking forward to a lightning fast machine! Am at
    > a loss.
    >
    > Any help??
    >
    > Chuck

    Have you checked the BIOS settings and/or jumpers on that new mobo? .

    Amduh1, Jul 13, 2005

  3. Chuck

    Sean M Guest

    Also check the disk controllers in Device Manager -- make sure they are
    using Ultra DMA.

    Sean M, Jul 13, 2005
  4. Chuck

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    "Chuck" <> wrote in message
    > Am in the process of replacing a WinXP with 2@ 732 MHz processors and 512
    > MB of RAM with a new WinXP x64.
    > The WinXP x64 has 2@ 3.2GHz processors and 4 GB of RAM. But it takes ages
    > to bring up applications. And in Photoshop Bridge it took tens of minutes
    > to create psd thumbnails. This is all much slower than my old
    > under-powered PC. Was looking forward to a lightning fast machine! Am at
    > a loss.
    >
    > Any help??
    >
    > Chuck

    Have you loaded chipset, motherboard and processor drivers?
    Does your BIOS support the installed CPUs?
    What type of drives are installed (IDE, RAID)?

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Jul 14, 2005
  5. Did you check the event viewer to see if anything did not load properly or
    any errors?
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 14, 2005
  6. Gee, everyone else wants you to check BIOS and chipset drivers. BIOS,
    certainly. Chipset drivers? never used them yet. But have a slightly
    misconfigured network connection and you get exactly this behaviour. Or a
    drive controller that has to time out to find something.

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 14, 2005
  7. A friend ended up with the same problem after installing x64 LAN-drivers. Try
    deactivating devices, and check when it starts to run smoothly again. I guess
    it takes ages for it to start to? Alternatively you reinstall, and then
    install drivers one by one (perhaps reboot between each) and you'll see which
    device or driver causes the problem. If you find out it is a driver, just
    download the latest from the manufacturers homepage; nevermind the
    "BETA"-mark on the drivers, just try them all...

    =?Utf-8?B?SmVpbmhvcg==?=, Jul 14, 2005
  8. Thanks, all! I did a couple of things suggested but do not understand all.

    I looked at the bios. It all looked good!? But hyper-threading was
    disabled. Is there a reason for that? Could it have to do with having 2
    cpu's? Would it be best to enable?

    In the process of looking at the bios, I rebooted several times. Today the
    system was much faster for the Photoshop functions but took ages again to
    load Microsoft Outlook and the Control module 'Add or Remove Programs'. I
    rebooted and re-executed Microsoft Outlook ... this time it came up
    immediately. Any thoughts?

    Is there a way to measure the speed of the 2 PC's? - one with and one
    without x64.

    Chuck

    Chuck Goldstein, Jul 14, 2005
  9. For Benchmark testing, SiSoftware seems like an appropriate solution:
    SiSoftware extends 64-bit EM64T support to Intel-based workstations &
    servers

    London, UK, June 1 2004 - SiSoftware announced today that it has unveiled
    its 64-bit software technology update, optimised for both AMD's AMD64
    platform as well as Intel's EM64T platform - including the newly released
    Intel Xeon processor with 64-bit extension technology. This version has been
    designed to provide native performance benchmarking on both 32-bit and
    64-bit platforms enabling users to compare and contrast the benefits of
    transitioning from a 32-bit to a 64-bit environment. The Sandra common code
    base ensures ease of support and coverage for all benchmarks, diagnostics
    and features to operate across multiple platforms and architectures
    effortlessly.

    Available to download now, the award winning Sandra 2004 SP2 now covers all
    current Windows platforms from the existing Win32 (x86), Win64 IA64
    (Itanium), Win64 x641 (AMD64/EM64T) to WinCE (ARM: Pocket PC 2000, 2002,
    2003, 2003SE; Smart Phone 2002, 2003, 2003SE).

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 14, 2005