    5-10k speed difference.
    Speed change should be instant shouldnt it ? No weening in period required ?
    :)

    XPD, Jun 8, 2005

  2. XPD wrote:
    > Well, Im now on whats supposedly a 2MB connection...... and Im only seeing a
    > 5-10k speed difference.

    so what are you getting total?
    it should bo somewhere near 250Kbytes/sec

    > Speed change should be instant shouldnt it ? No weening in period required ?
    > :)

    correct.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 8, 2005

  3. XPD

    XPD Guest

    > XPD wrote:
    > > Well, Im now on whats supposedly a 2MB connection...... and Im only

    seeing a
    > > 5-10k speed difference.

    > so what are you getting total?
    > it should bo somewhere near 250Kbytes/sec
    >
    > > Speed change should be instant shouldnt it ? No weening in period

    required ?
    > > :)

    > correct.

    From Jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/

    Below is the data used to calculate your download speed:

    * Download time: 28.594 seconds
    * Size of file: 1000 Kilobytes
    * Estimated line speed: 285.4 (kilobits/second)
    * Estimated line speed: 35 (kilobytes/second)

    My router :

    DSL status: OK (upstream 160, downstream 2560 kbit/s)
    PPP status: OK (QSI)
    Ethernet status: OK (10Base-T)
    Uptime: 0 days, 00h 42m 41s

    XPD, Jun 8, 2005
  4. XPD wrote:
    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>XPD wrote:
    >>
    >>>Well, Im now on whats supposedly a 2MB connection...... and Im only

    > seeing a
    >
    >>>5-10k speed difference.

    >>so what are you getting total?
    >>it should bo somewhere near 250Kbytes/sec
    >>

    >>>Speed change should be instant shouldnt it ? No weening in period

    > required ?
    >
    >>>:)

    >>correct.

    > From Jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/
    >
    > Below is the data used to calculate your download speed:
    >
    > * Download time: 28.594 seconds
    > * Size of file: 1000 Kilobytes
    > * Estimated line speed: 285.4 (kilobits/second)
    > * Estimated line speed: 35 (kilobytes/second)
    >

    > My router :
    >
    > DSL status: OK (upstream 160, downstream 2560 kbit/s)
    > PPP status: OK (QSI)
    > Ethernet status: OK (10Base-T)
    > Uptime: 0 days, 00h 42m 41s

    wow, weird, you seem to be getting 256kbit connection.

    Ring ISP.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 8, 2005
  5. XPD

    Craig Sutton Guest

    ?
    > :)

    Most likely Telecom have stuffed things up yet again...many Ihug customers
    got put on 256k rather than 2mbitt .....

    Craig Sutton, Jun 9, 2005
  6. XPD

    XPD Guest

    > > From Jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/
    > >
    > > Below is the data used to calculate your download speed:
    > >
    > > * Download time: 28.594 seconds
    > > * Size of file: 1000 Kilobytes
    > > * Estimated line speed: 285.4 (kilobits/second)
    > > * Estimated line speed: 35 (kilobytes/second)
    > >

    > > My router :
    > >
    > > DSL status: OK (upstream 160, downstream 2560 kbit/s)
    > > PPP status: OK (QSI)
    > > Ethernet status: OK (10Base-T)
    > > Uptime: 0 days, 00h 42m 41s

    > wow, weird, you seem to be getting 256kbit connection.
    >
    > Ring ISP.

    Well, tried ringing them, got put on Q as expected...gave up.
    Reset router again, showing same line speed... tried Jetstreamgames again
    and actually got a decent result this time. Tried a few other tests etc and
    it seems fine (approx 2mb connection) for local traffic however all
    international traffic is still the same speed as yesterday (256k).
    So off to the Q I go anyway :)

    XPD, Jun 9, 2005
  7. XPD

    Mark. Guest

    In article <d88k35$22c$>,
    "Craig Sutton" <> wrote:

    > "XPD" <> wrote in message
    > > Well, Im now on whats supposedly a 2MB connection...... and Im only seeing

    > > 5-10k speed difference.
    > > Speed change should be instant shouldnt it ? No weening in period required

    > ?
    > > :)
    > >

    > Most likely Telecom have stuffed things up yet again...many Ihug customers
    > got put on 256k rather than 2mbitt .....

    XPD- I just got switched over today as well from 256k to 2MB on Orcon.

    Local (NZ sites) speed tests show I am getting approx 2Mb speeds, but
    most overseas sites I download from are at 256K speeds, or just slightly
    faster, ironic because I never got full 256K speeds when on that
    connection.

    Mark., Jun 9, 2005
  8. Mark. wrote:

    > XPD- I just got switched over today as well from 256k to 2MB on Orcon.
    >
    > Local (NZ sites) speed tests show I am getting approx 2Mb speeds, but
    > most overseas sites I download from are at 256K speeds, or just slightly
    > faster, ironic because I never got full 256K speeds when on that
    > connection.

    Sounds about right. 2MB national/256K international. What does the
    small print say?

    Stewart Fleming, Jun 9, 2005
  9. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "Stewart Fleming" <> wrote in message

    > Mark. wrote:
    >
    > > XPD- I just got switched over today as well from 256k to 2MB on Orcon.
    > >
    > > Local (NZ sites) speed tests show I am getting approx 2Mb speeds, but
    > > most overseas sites I download from are at 256K speeds, or just slightly
    > > faster, ironic because I never got full 256K speeds when on that
    > > connection.

    > Sounds about right. 2MB national/256K international. What does the
    > small print say?

    Mine says.....

    4GB International traffic limit
    FREE National Traffic
    No Excess Usage charges EVER
    Speed will be reduced to 64k when traffic limit is reached

    Nothing about speed being limited for international. Friends of mine on Xtra
    get great speed via 2mb DSL (or at least were last time I spoke to them)

    XPD, Jun 9, 2005
  10. XPD

    Craig Sutton Guest

    > Mark. wrote:
    >
    > > XPD- I just got switched over today as well from 256k to 2MB on Orcon.
    > >
    > > Local (NZ sites) speed tests show I am getting approx 2Mb speeds, but
    > > most overseas sites I download from are at 256K speeds, or just slightly
    > > faster, ironic because I never got full 256K speeds when on that
    > > connection.

    > Sounds about right. 2MB national/256K international. What does the
    > small print say?

    I get around 1800k on local stuf and around 700k on international via Ihug
    2mbitt

    Craig Sutton, Jun 9, 2005
  11. Suddenly, XPD sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > Well, Im now on whats supposedly a 2MB connection...... and Im only seeing a
    > 5-10k speed difference.
    > Speed change should be instant shouldnt it ? No weening in period required ?

    I dunno. Mine only changed over on the end of the billing period.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, Jun 9, 2005
  12. XPD

    XPD Guest

    Well, been onto my ISP, they ant see any issue on their end so will
    heck into it further.... the guy I spoke to said he was getting similar
    issue on his own connection.
    And if this is happening to other ISPs, then... well... I wonder whos
    at fault ;)

    XPD, Jun 10, 2005
  13. XPD

    C_Lyon Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > Well, Im now on whats supposedly a 2MB connection...... and Im only seeing a
    > 5-10k speed difference.
    > Speed change should be instant shouldnt it ? No weening in period required ?
    > :)

    Cable connection from Australia to Jetstream in NZ:
    * Download time: 1.937 seconds
    * Size of file: 1000 Kilobytes
    * Estimated line speed: 4212.7 (kilobits/second)
    * Estimated line speed: 516.3 (kilobytes/second)

    C_Lyon, Jun 10, 2005
  14. XPD

    Mr Scebe Guest

    >> DSL status: OK (upstream 160, downstream 2560 kbit/s)
    >> PPP status: OK (QSI)
    >> Ethernet status: OK (10Base-T)
    >> Uptime: 0 days, 00h 42m 41s

    > wow, weird, you seem to be getting 256kbit connection.
    >
    > Ring ISP.

    I may be having a bad hair day, but the last time i looked 2560kbps was more
    than 2Mbps, not 256k.

    --
    Mr Scebe
    ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

    Mr Scebe, Jun 14, 2005
  15. Mr Scebe wrote:
    >>>DSL status: OK (upstream 160, downstream 2560 kbit/s)
    >>>PPP status: OK (QSI)
    >>>Ethernet status: OK (10Base-T)
    >>>Uptime: 0 days, 00h 42m 41s

    >>wow, weird, you seem to be getting 256kbit connection.

    >>Ring ISP.

    > I may be having a bad hair day, but the last time i looked 2560kbps was more
    > than 2Mbps, not 256k.

    thats the link speed, not the actual speed he's getting.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 14, 2005
  16. XPD

    Mr Scebe Guest

    >>>wow, weird, you seem to be getting 256kbit connection.

    >>>Ring ISP.

    >> I may be having a bad hair day, but the last time i looked 2560kbps was
    >> more than 2Mbps, not 256k.

    > thats the link speed, not the actual speed he's getting.

    Ah, so it is - my bad.

    BTW, i've been looking at your script, and think i may be able to rework
    it - especially so that it doesn't have to rely on WINS. I may post if i get
    a chance.

    --
    Mr Scebe
    ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

    Mr Scebe, Jun 17, 2005
  17. Mr Scebe wrote:
    > BTW, i've been looking at your script, and think i may be able to rework
    > it - especially so that it doesn't have to rely on WINS. I may post if i get
    > a chance.

    cool.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.