Slot 1 CPU's?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Russell Smithies, Feb 9, 2004.

  1. What's the difference between slot 1 Pentiun 2 and slot 1 Pentium 3 CPU's?
    I accidently bought a P3 550 on Trademe ($60) when my motherboard
    (apparently) only supports P2 and Celeron.
    I stuck it in anyway and it runs fine.
    It posts as a P2 but Fedora reports it as a P3 running at 5531Mhz with 512KB
    cache so no problems there.
    Motherboard is an old BX (TMC T16NB) that I didn't want to waste.

    Russell
     
    Russell Smithies, Feb 9, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Russell Smithies

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Russell Smithies" <> wrote in
    news:QWTVb.39562$:

    > What's the difference between slot 1 Pentiun 2 and slot 1 Pentium 3
    > CPU's? I accidently bought a P3 550 on Trademe ($60) when my
    > motherboard (apparently) only supports P2 and Celeron.
    > I stuck it in anyway and it runs fine.
    > It posts as a P2 but Fedora reports it as a P3 running at 5531Mhz with
    > 512KB cache so no problems there.
    > Motherboard is an old BX (TMC T16NB) that I didn't want to waste.
    >
    > Russell
    >
    >
    >

    Try this
    http://indigo.intel.com/compare_cpu/
    Oh wait, it does not do older products. I told them they should, so
    should you.
    So I googled for you, have you tried www.google.com?
    It found the answer. Look at this archived listserv thread.
    http://www.beowulf.org/pipermail/beowulf/1999-September/006685.html

    Ciao, Dave
     
    Dave Taylor, Feb 9, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Dave Taylor wrote:
    > "Russell Smithies" <> wrote in
    > news:QWTVb.39562$:
    >
    >> What's the difference between slot 1 Pentiun 2 and slot 1 Pentium 3
    >> CPU's? I accidently bought a P3 550 on Trademe ($60) when my
    >> motherboard (apparently) only supports P2 and Celeron.
    >> I stuck it in anyway and it runs fine.
    >> It posts as a P2 but Fedora reports it as a P3 running at 5531Mhz
    >> with 512KB cache so no problems there.
    >> Motherboard is an old BX (TMC T16NB) that I didn't want to waste.
    >>
    >> Russell
    >>
    >>
    >>

    > Try this
    > http://indigo.intel.com/compare_cpu/
    > Oh wait, it does not do older products. I told them they should, so
    > should you.
    > So I googled for you, have you tried www.google.com?
    > It found the answer. Look at this archived listserv thread.
    > http://www.beowulf.org/pipermail/beowulf/1999-September/006685.html
    >
    > Ciao, Dave


    Google???
    what's that???

    ;-)

    Russell
     
    Russell Smithies, Feb 9, 2004
    #3
  4. Russell Smithies

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Russell Smithies" <> wrote in
    news:GlUVb.39587$:

    > Google???
    > what's that???
    >
    > ;-)
    >
    > Russell
    >


    LOL, I like Vivisimo too, for different result grouping and methodology.
    www.vivisimo.com The minibar fits nicely in beside my URL bar and
    catches google searches.
    Ciao, Dave
     
    Dave Taylor, Feb 9, 2004
    #4
  5. Russell Smithies

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Dave Taylor <> wrote in
    news:Xns948B7A2DCBD3Bdaveytaynospamplshot@202.180.64.19:

    > "Russell Smithies" <> wrote in
    > news:QWTVb.39562$:
    >
    >> What's the difference between slot 1 Pentiun 2 and slot 1 Pentium 3
    >> CPU's? I accidently bought a P3 550 on Trademe ($60) when my
    >> motherboard (apparently) only supports P2 and Celeron.
    >> I stuck it in anyway and it runs fine.
    >> It posts as a P2 but Fedora reports it as a P3 running at 5531Mhz with
    >> 512KB cache so no problems there.
    >> Motherboard is an old BX (TMC T16NB) that I didn't want to waste.
    >>
    >> Russell
    >>
    >>
    >>

    > Try this
    > http://indigo.intel.com/compare_cpu/
    > Oh wait, it does not do older products. I told them they should, so
    > should you.
    > So I googled for you, have you tried www.google.com?
    > It found the answer. Look at this archived listserv thread.
    > http://www.beowulf.org/pipermail/beowulf/1999-September/006685.html
    >
    > Ciao, Dave


    Intel got back to me about my feedback:

    Hello,

    Thank you for your interest in our Processor Comparison Chart. We
    sincerely appreciate your taking time to provide your comments and
    feedback.

    The tool you have accessed is designed to show comparisons between our
    mainstream/performance products. These products are designed with
    performance users in mind. The Pentium® III Processor information is
    listed as historical information to those who may be investigating
    upgrading from a PC which is a few years old.

    Again, thank you for contacting Intel.

    Sincerely,
    Thea P.
    Intel Customer Support

    Intel is a registered trademark of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries
    in the United States and other countries.

    *Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

    A representative of Intel may subsequently contact you (via email) in
    order to obtain your feedback on the quality of the support you received.
    If you do not wish to participate, simply delete the survey email.

    ->aboutsubject: Legacy CPU comparison
    ->url: http://indigo.intel.com/compare_cpu/default.aspx
    ->about: Why is there no option for older CPUs like PII or Pro so we can
    really compare all your CPUs?

    Hmm, so they will not change it. Oh well, they aren't called the chip
    giant for nothing.

    Ciao, Dave
     
    Dave Taylor, Feb 10, 2004
    #5
  6. Russell Smithies

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 11:35:08 +1300, "Russell Smithies"
    <> wrote:

    >What's the difference between slot 1 Pentiun 2 and slot 1 Pentium 3 CPU's?
    >I accidently bought a P3 550 on Trademe ($60) when my motherboard
    >(apparently) only supports P2 and Celeron.
    >I stuck it in anyway and it runs fine.
    >It posts as a P2 but Fedora reports it as a P3 running at 5531Mhz with 512KB
    >cache so no problems there.
    >Motherboard is an old BX (TMC T16NB) that I didn't want to waste.
    >
    >Russell
    >


    For motherboard issues the difference is in the voltage & wattage.
    PIII CPUs need a higher VRM revision & some PII boards don't have it.
    The VRMs required are listed by Intel, will be in their archives
    somewhere. As far as wattage goes, it's not so much the overall
    current they draw, but that certain pins on the PIII CPU need a higher
    current & the VRM is what supplies it. Most BX boards do run PIIIs
    ok, but not all & some can give trouble when the CPU is run at full
    load.

    Cheers

    Gavin
     
    Gavin Tunney, Feb 11, 2004
    #6
  7. Russell Smithies

    E. Guest

    Russell Smithies wrote:
    > What's the difference between slot 1 Pentiun 2 and slot 1 Pentium 3 CPU's?
    > I accidently bought a P3 550 on Trademe ($60) when my motherboard
    > (apparently) only supports P2 and Celeron.
    > I stuck it in anyway and it runs fine.
    > It posts as a P2 but Fedora reports it as a P3 running at 5531Mhz with 512KB
    > cache so no problems there.
    > Motherboard is an old BX (TMC T16NB) that I didn't want to waste.
    >
    > Russell


    Anything 550 and under ran at a higher voltage (iirc, 2v), anything over
    was at 1.85v. (or it coulds been 1.85 and 1.6v, something likethat)
    E.
     
    E., Feb 11, 2004
    #7
  8. Russell Smithies

    ~misfit~ Guest

    E. wrote:
    > Russell Smithies wrote:
    >> What's the difference between slot 1 Pentiun 2 and slot 1 Pentium 3
    >> CPU's? I accidently bought a P3 550 on Trademe ($60) when my
    >> motherboard (apparently) only supports P2 and Celeron.
    >> I stuck it in anyway and it runs fine.
    >> It posts as a P2 but Fedora reports it as a P3 running at 5531Mhz
    >> with 512KB cache so no problems there.
    >> Motherboard is an old BX (TMC T16NB) that I didn't want to waste.
    >>
    >> Russell

    >
    > Anything 550 and under ran at a higher voltage (iirc, 2v), anything
    > over was at 1.85v. (or it coulds been 1.85 and 1.6v, something
    > likethat)


    Not quite true but near enough. The Katmai core PIII topped out at 550MHz
    and ran at 2.0vcore with 512Kb half-speed L2 cache on the cartridge and was
    compatible with most PII Deschutes boards (Usually BX440 chipsets). There
    was also PIII 550 Coppermine Slot 1 CPUs made which ran a lower vcore as you
    mentioned and had 256Kb on-die, full speed L2 cache. They would only run in
    certain, later model boards or required a BIOS update on some boards.

    Russell, if you can find a later BIOS for your board it will probably
    properly identify it as a PIII at boot up.
    --
    ~misfit~
     
    ~misfit~, Feb 12, 2004
    #8
  9. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > E. wrote:
    >> Russell Smithies wrote:
    >>> What's the difference between slot 1 Pentiun 2 and slot 1 Pentium 3
    >>> CPU's? I accidently bought a P3 550 on Trademe ($60) when my
    >>> motherboard (apparently) only supports P2 and Celeron.
    >>> I stuck it in anyway and it runs fine.
    >>> It posts as a P2 but Fedora reports it as a P3 running at 5531Mhz
    >>> with 512KB cache so no problems there.
    >>> Motherboard is an old BX (TMC T16NB) that I didn't want to waste.
    >>>
    >>> Russell

    >>
    >> Anything 550 and under ran at a higher voltage (iirc, 2v), anything
    >> over was at 1.85v. (or it coulds been 1.85 and 1.6v, something
    >> likethat)

    >
    > Not quite true but near enough. The Katmai core PIII topped out at
    > 550MHz and ran at 2.0vcore with 512Kb half-speed L2 cache on the
    > cartridge and was compatible with most PII Deschutes boards (Usually
    > BX440 chipsets). There was also PIII 550 Coppermine Slot 1 CPUs made
    > which ran a lower vcore as you mentioned and had 256Kb on-die, full
    > speed L2 cache. They would only run in certain, later model boards or
    > required a BIOS update on some boards.
    >
    > Russell, if you can find a later BIOS for your board it will probably
    > properly identify it as a PIII at boot up.




    Linux thinks it's a P3 so not really worried what the bios says it is.

    Russell
     
    Russell Smithies, Feb 12, 2004
    #9
  10. Russell Smithies

    E. Guest

    Russell Smithies wrote:

    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >>E. wrote:
    >>
    >>>Russell Smithies wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>What's the difference between slot 1 Pentiun 2 and slot 1 Pentium 3
    >>>>CPU's? I accidently bought a P3 550 on Trademe ($60) when my
    >>>>motherboard (apparently) only supports P2 and Celeron.
    >>>>I stuck it in anyway and it runs fine.
    >>>>It posts as a P2 but Fedora reports it as a P3 running at 5531Mhz
    >>>>with 512KB cache so no problems there.
    >>>>Motherboard is an old BX (TMC T16NB) that I didn't want to waste.
    >>>>
    >>>>Russell
    >>>
    >>>Anything 550 and under ran at a higher voltage (iirc, 2v), anything
    >>>over was at 1.85v. (or it coulds been 1.85 and 1.6v, something
    >>>likethat)

    >>
    >>Not quite true but near enough. The Katmai core PIII topped out at
    >>550MHz and ran at 2.0vcore with 512Kb half-speed L2 cache on the
    >>cartridge and was compatible with most PII Deschutes boards (Usually
    >>BX440 chipsets). There was also PIII 550 Coppermine Slot 1 CPUs made
    >>which ran a lower vcore as you mentioned and had 256Kb on-die, full
    >>speed L2 cache. They would only run in certain, later model boards or
    >>required a BIOS update on some boards.
    >>
    >>Russell, if you can find a later BIOS for your board it will probably
    >>properly identify it as a PIII at boot up.

    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Linux thinks it's a P3 so not really worried what the bios says it is.
    >
    > Russell


    Lucky you. All I can accurately remember is that if youi had been
    running a 2v CPU and tried to slip in a CPU that ran at a lower voltage
    most boards would most often not cope with the voltage difference and
    totally refuse to do anything - regardless of whether it was
    auto-voltage sensing or jumper controlled.
    Thanks to ~misfit~ for the heads up.
    E.
     
    E., Feb 12, 2004
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. AncalagoN

    Wanted For Free: Slot 1 PIII-500 CPU

    AncalagoN, Oct 23, 2003, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    493
  2. Paul

    Re: Most common CPU type - Slot or Socket?

    Paul, Mar 21, 2006, in forum: A+ Certification
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    874
  3. Butterfield

    Re: Most common CPU type - Slot or Socket?

    Butterfield, Mar 21, 2006, in forum: A+ Certification
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    546
    Butterfield
    Mar 21, 2006
  4. WinXP_Powered

    Re: Most common CPU type - Slot or Socket?

    WinXP_Powered, Mar 25, 2006, in forum: A+ Certification
    Replies:
    22
    Views:
    882
    J. Clarke
    Apr 1, 2006
  5. O'LOAN
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    8,696
    O'LOAN
    Apr 30, 2013
Loading...

Share This Page