slmms.exe trojan

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by James, Dec 15, 2003.

  1. James

    James Guest

    James, Dec 15, 2003

  2. James

    Harrison Guest

    I see no reference to such a trojan. Are you sure of the spelling?

    Harrison, Dec 16, 2003

  3. James

    James Guest

    Yes, it's the one NAV is picking up in my temp Internet files everytime. It
    cause tons of pop ups to appear even when internet explorer isn't up.

    James, Dec 16, 2003
  4. James

    Harrison Guest

    I still cannot find any reference for it on sarc.com or anywhere else.
    Open NAV and click Reports. Review the activity logs and see if there
    is another name for it.

    Also, disable system restore in XP or ME.
    Boot to safe mode (F8 when booting) and delete temporary internet
    files.

    Run a full system scan in safe mode.

    Restart and scan again. If clean, re-enable system restore.
    If not, post back.

    Harrison, Dec 16, 2003
  5. James

    Boomer Guest

    Harrison <Harrison> wrote in

    > I see no reference to such a trojan. Are you sure of the spelling?
    >
    > On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:21:23 -0500, "James" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>does anyone know how to get rid of the s1mms.exe trojan? I've
    >>tried NAV but i keep get it back. Thanks

    Hi

    You have s"L"mms in the subject yet you also state it's s"1"mms.
    Which is it?

    Have you tried any of these?

    Ad-aware (Aims at Adware/Spyware.)
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    SpybotSD Aims for the dialers, trojans,
    hijackers and security/privacy issues.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/

    Spyware Blaster

    http://vipmeister.com/dl/aspy/aspy.html

    StartupList, HijackThis and CoolWebShredder
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/
    CWShredder for home page hijacking

    Info on above and more.

    Parasites: Cookies, Dialers, Keyloggers, Trackers
    http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/bhoindex.htm

    ~ Spyware Information ~
    http://www.cexx.org/adware.htm

    ~Unsolicited commercial software list and info~
    http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

    ~Other software~
    http://www.wilders.org/

    Newsgroup: alt.privacy.spyware

    Also serach Google and Googles archive for more information.

    Top 10 Tips to Keep Your Computer Virus-Free
    http://www.symantec.com/homecomputing/library/topten.html
    Boomer, Dec 16, 2003
  6. James

    Boomer Guest

    Boomer, Dec 16, 2003
  7. James

    Boomer Guest

    Boomer <> wrote in

    > Harrison <Harrison> wrote in
    >
    >> I see no reference to such a trojan. Are you sure of the spelling?
    >>
    >> On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:21:23 -0500, "James" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>does anyone know how to get rid of the s1mms.exe trojan? I've
    >>>tried NAV but i keep get it back. Thanks

    [snip]

    Never mind!
    Boomer, Dec 16, 2003
  8. James

    James Guest

    okay...I checked in NAV it's called the downloader.trojan virus. Have you
    heard of that one??

    thanks

    James, Dec 16, 2003
  9. James

    Harrison Guest

    Now we're getting somewhere!
    Try here.
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/downloader.trojan.html

    Harrison, Dec 16, 2003
  10. James

    James Guest

    that did the trick. many thanks for your help.

    James, Dec 16, 2003