slipstreaming ??

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Hp, Dec 26, 2010.

  1. Hp

    Hp Guest

    So ok, I have this pc with xp x64, my first at home usage of xp.
    The setup 6 months ago was not error free. a fair percentage of the
    suggested updates and patches had to be done manually almost 25%.

    I explored the net some and ran across this link to study and
    contemplate trying

    http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/how_to_slipstream_windows_xp_sp3_and_vista_sp1

    is this a way to go in preparing an easier redo CD for trying to
    re-install xp x64 and avoid the pitfalls of the update/reboot process
    many times??

    Any suggestions on an easier way to build a slipstream install disk?

    If you have slipstreamed, is this process in the article ok?

    what to watch for?? hazards to avoid??

    thanks
    Hp, Dec 26, 2010

  2. Hp

    Dave Warren Guest

    In message <if68i7$npe$> Hp <> was
    claimed to have wrote:

    >So ok, I have this pc with xp x64, my first at home usage of xp.
    >The setup 6 months ago was not error free. a fair percentage of the
    >suggested updates and patches had to be done manually almost 25%.
    >
    >I explored the net some and ran across this link to study and
    >contemplate trying
    >
    >http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/how_to_slipstream_windows_xp_sp3_and_vista_sp1
    >
    >is this a way to go in preparing an easier redo CD for trying to
    >re-install xp x64 and avoid the pitfalls of the update/reboot process
    >many times??

    How many systems are you looking at building/installing?

    Having slipstreamed XP in the past myself, quite honestly for just a
    single system it's significantly less effort to just install and patch
    vs the effort of learning to slipstream, and potentially corrupting the
    first attempt or two, etc just to end up with a disc that is out of date
    one patch-Tuesday later.

    Slipstreaming is certainly doable, and if you're looking at doing
    multiple systems that won't be joined to a domain (where using WSUS or
    something more advanced isn't an option) then it may be worth exploring
    but for a single system it will consume more of your life than doing a
    fresh install and patching manually.

    As far as patching manually goes, from my own experience, start with a
    fresh install of the OS, followed by the latest service pack (if
    needed), then IE (if needed). Next install Office, and load any service
    packs. Finally, look at Windows Update and let it patch automatically,
    avoid adding or removing anything (unless there are patches you never
    want installed for some reason), only once the default WU
    recommendations are installed would I start installing any Optional
    stuff. Occasionally an update will fail and get retried on the next
    reboot, but I can't recall the last time I had to install any update
    manually.
    Dave Warren, Dec 26, 2010

  3. Hp

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 26/12/2010 in message <if68i7$npe$> Hp wrote:

    >Any suggestions on an easier way to build a slipstream install disk?

    I used AutoStreamer to bring an old XP install CD up to SP3 and I use that
    as a base for my XP 32 installs. I don't allow the machines to auto-update
    above that level though.

    XP x64 is based on Windows Server 2003 and is up to SP2, I can't remember
    if I AutoStreamer works with x64.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
    There are 3 types of people in this world. Those who can count, and those
    Jeff Gaines, Dec 26, 2010
  4. If the goal is being able to rebuild your system quickly, as opposed to
    creating an installation media to use on multiple systems, then I'd strongly
    suggest using an imaging backup program, instead. Acronis comes to mind, as
    I've used them myself with good success. Not sure if they have a version
    that works with XP x64, but I would expect them to. I know they work well
    with later 64-bit Windows.

    One thing that can make the process easier is to split your hard disk into
    two partitions. (Again, Acronis and others have products that simplify
    this.Some of those are free or have trial versions for download.) Put all
    your data on the second partition, moving "My Documents", "My Music", etc to
    the new drive. Now you can image just the C: drive, making the process
    simpler, and quicker, and also protecting your data files.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/Russel

    Charlie Russel-MVP, Dec 26, 2010
  5. Hp

    Mike Guest

    For 32 nit XP this program has been recommended

    http://www.nliteos.com/

    Hope it helps

    Mike

    Mike, Dec 26, 2010