    understanding the boot image file but that's another issue. I then come
    across the update.exe parameter that purports to do the same. Haven't tried
    it yet. Does anyone know what the difference is?
    JustMe, Jan 4, 2005

  2. JustMe

    Billy Guest

    "JustMe" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > A while back I posted a question and Toolman Tim responded and got me
    > started with slipstreaming sp2 onto an xp disk. Thanks Toolman. I

    started
    > out playing around with autostreamer and googled on autostream and XP
    > revealed a host of options. Found out I didn't need autostream and

    could
    > easily do this manually. I used the "integrate" parameter to

    successfully
    > slipstream sp2 into xp sp1. Works great. Having a bit of trouble
    > understanding the boot image file but that's another issue. I then

    come
    > across the update.exe parameter that purports to do the same. Haven't

    tried
    > it yet. Does anyone know what the difference is?

    They both end up integrating the newer files into the package. With
    update you need to extract the files and then update. The second link
    will show you some options and methods to insure a bootable burn.

    More than you want to know, good read.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/deployment/winupdte.mspx
    Nice slipstream guide with clear steps and alternatives.
    http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread21978-1.html
    Billy, Jan 4, 2005

  3. JustMe

    JustMe Guest

    "Billy" <> wrote in message

    > "JustMe" <> wrote in message
    > > A while back I posted a question and Toolman Tim responded and got me
    > > started with slipstreaming sp2 onto an xp disk. Thanks Toolman. I

    > started
    > > out playing around with autostreamer and googled on autostream and XP
    > > revealed a host of options. Found out I didn't need autostream and

    > could
    > > easily do this manually. I used the "integrate" parameter to

    > successfully
    > > slipstream sp2 into xp sp1. Works great. Having a bit of trouble
    > > understanding the boot image file but that's another issue. I then

    > come
    > > across the update.exe parameter that purports to do the same. Haven't

    > tried
    > > it yet. Does anyone know what the difference is?
    > >

    > They both end up integrating the newer files into the package. With
    > update you need to extract the files and then update. The second link
    > will show you some options and methods to insure a bootable burn.
    >
    > More than you want to know, good read.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/deployment/winupdte.mspx
    > Nice slipstream guide with clear steps and alternatives.
    > http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread21978-1.html

    Thanks Billy. I'll look at that. The process really piqued my interest
    somehow. There is unending utility in this. I looked at it years ago under
    NT and tossed it as a PITA. This looks much more friendly.
    JustMe, Jan 4, 2005
  4. JustMe

    doS2k5 Guest

    DO IT THE EASY WAY....
    http://nuhi.msfn.org/nlite.html
    make an unattended install cd...;-)

    doS2k5, Jan 4, 2005
  5. JustMe

    JustMe Guest

    "doS2k5" <> wrote in message
    > DO IT THE EASY WAY....
    > http://nuhi.msfn.org/nlite.html
    > make an unattended install cd...;-)

    Thanks, I'll take a look at that. I never did get a handle on writing the
    unattended build answer files. I work with one woman that's exceptionally
    skilled at SMS, package creation and unattended builds but I get so used to
    depending on her that I never take the time to learn. :-(
    JustMe, Jan 5, 2005
  6. JustMe

    Duck Ducking Guest

    On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 12:22:40 -0500, "doS2k5" <>
    wrote:

    >DO IT THE EASY WAY....
    >http://nuhi.msfn.org/nlite.html
    >make an unattended install cd...;-)

    Agree, good programme and great for those you want to help but are
    thick as planks.They can sit there while everything is done for them,
    no hard decisions like, what is their name etc.
    Duck Ducking, Jan 5, 2005