Slipstream time?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nicolaas Hawkins, Mar 21, 2007.

  1. Since I burned my XP/SP2 slipstream disk back in late 2004 I have
    downloaded and installed some 91 updates totalling 296MB. I think it is
    (more than) about time I had an up-to-date slipstream disk incorporating
    these updates so that if (when?) I have to do a ground-up re-build I don't
    have to spend a day or more downloading and installing updates again.

    I am quite confident about creating an ordinary slipstream disk from the
    XP install disk and the SP2 disk, but I'm not certain about how to ensure
    that it will incorporate the plethora of updates post-SP2 that are now
    part of my operating system.

    Suggestions / ideas / reassurances / guidance, anyone?
    (Linux proselytisers need not bother to reply, and I will not be changing
    to Vista in the foreseeable future.)

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    2007 Pricelessware CD now available. 600Mb of the best of the best in
    Freeware. E-Mail me for details.

    .... Avoid alliteration. Always.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Mar 21, 2007

  2. Nicolaas Hawkins

    iascoot Guest

    iascoot, Mar 21, 2007

  3. Nicolaas Hawkins

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 16:51:03 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins <> wrote:

    >Since I burned my XP/SP2 slipstream disk back in late 2004 I have
    >downloaded and installed some 91 updates totalling 296MB. I think it is
    >(more than) about time I had an up-to-date slipstream disk incorporating
    >these updates so that if (when?) I have to do a ground-up re-build I don't
    >have to spend a day or more downloading and installing updates again.
    >
    >I am quite confident about creating an ordinary slipstream disk from the
    >XP install disk and the SP2 disk, but I'm not certain about how to ensure
    >that it will incorporate the plethora of updates post-SP2 that are now
    >part of my operating system.
    >
    >Suggestions / ideas / reassurances / guidance, anyone?
    >(Linux proselytisers need not bother to reply, and I will not be changing
    >to Vista in the foreseeable future.)

    Dead Simple, just get Autopatcher it does it all and more.

    http://www.autopatcher.com/

    A full version comes out about every 3 months, but you also get monthly updates

    Mathew Good, Mar 21, 2007
  4. Nicolaas Hawkins

    mario Guest

    Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:

    > I am quite confident about creating an ordinary slipstream disk from the
    > XP install disk and the SP2 disk, but I'm not certain about how to ensure
    > that it will incorporate the plethora of updates post-SP2 that are now
    > part of my operating system.
    >
    > Suggestions / ideas / reassurances / guidance, anyone?
    > (Linux proselytisers need not bother to reply, and I will not be changing
    > to Vista in the foreseeable future.)

    http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=78403

    I haven't tried "RVM Integrator" yet but it doest slipstream fixs etc.
    But you do have to download the fixes.

    "Notes:
    RVM Integrator is not just an integrator. It's main purpose is to
    actually slipstream hotfixes and third party utilities into your Windows
    install disks. Integrating is simply a way to attatch setup files into
    your windows disk and have them install at a specific moment during
    Windows setup. Slipstreaming will actually overwrite older files and
    place itself directly into the windows installation"

    mario

    mario, Mar 21, 2007
  5. Nicolaas Hawkins

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "iascoot" <> wrote in news:1174454721.383812.42010
    @n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

    > Or Sometimes Autopatcher is a good option
    > http://www.autopatcher.com

    I am more of an autopatcher fan because of the little extra tweaks that you
    can turn on or off.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Mar 21, 2007
  6. Nicolaas Hawkins

    Mathew Good Guest

    On 21 Mar 2007 23:42:50 +1200, Dave Taylor <> wrote:

    >"iascoot" <> wrote in news:1174454721.383812.42010
    >@n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:
    >
    >> Or Sometimes Autopatcher is a good option
    >> http://www.autopatcher.com
    >>

    >I am more of an autopatcher fan because of the little extra tweaks that you
    >can turn on or off.

    Here is a Slipstream Version

    RyanVM's Windows XP Post-SP2 Update Pack

    http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/updatepack.html

    Mathew Good, Mar 21, 2007
  7. Nicolaas Hawkins

    Sir to you Guest

    On Mar 21, 4:51 pm, Nicolaas Hawkins <> wrote:
    > Since I burned my XP/SP2 slipstream disk back in late 2004 I have
    > downloaded and installed some 91 updates totalling 296MB. I think it is
    > (more than) about time I had an up-to-date slipstream disk incorporating
    > these updates so that if (when?) I have to do a ground-up re-build I don't
    > have to spend a day or more downloading and installing updates again.
    >
    > I am quite confident about creating an ordinary slipstream disk from the
    > XP install disk and the SP2 disk, but I'm not certain about how to ensure
    > that it will incorporate the plethora of updates post-SP2 that are now
    > part of my operating system.
    >
    > Suggestions / ideas / reassurances / guidance, anyone?
    > (Linux proselytisers need not bother to reply, and I will not be changing
    > to Vista in the foreseeable future.)
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Nicolaas.
    >
    > 2007 Pricelessware CD now available. 600Mb of the best of the best in
    > Freeware. E-Mail me for details.
    >
    > ... Avoid alliteration. Always.

    Wait for Service Pack three, due 2nd half of 2007.

    Then, use the saved time to learn the violin.

    Sir to you, Mar 22, 2007
  8. On 21 Mar 2007 19:43:04 -0700, Sir to you <> wrote in

    > Wait for Service Pack three, due 2nd half of 2007.
    >
    > Then, use the saved time to learn the violin.

    Oh yes, very droll .....

    Being an expert yourself, are you offering to teach me how to fiddle?

    --
    Nicolaas

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Mar 22, 2007
  9. Nicolaas Hawkins

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    > On 21 Mar 2007 19:43:04 -0700, Sir to you <>
    > wrote in <news:>:
    >
    > > Wait for Service Pack three, due 2nd half of 2007.
    > >
    > > Then, use the saved time to learn the violin.

    > Oh yes, very droll .....
    >
    > Being an expert yourself, are you offering to teach me how to fiddle?

    Who is this Nicolaas? I'm assuming a (linux) troll has nym-shifted again?

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Mar 22, 2007
  10. On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 18:36:37 +1200, ~misfit~ <>
    wrote in <news:46022429$>:

    > Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >> On 21 Mar 2007 19:43:04 -0700, Sir to you <>
    >> wrote in <news:>:
    >>
    >>> Wait for Service Pack three, due 2nd half of 2007.
    >>>
    >>> Then, use the saved time to learn the violin.

    >> Oh yes, very droll .....
    >>
    >> Being an expert yourself, are you offering to teach me how to fiddle?

    > Who is this Nicolaas? I'm assuming a (linux) troll has nym-shifted again?
    >
    > Cheers,

    Judging by the characteristic helpfulness of the reply, Shaun, I should
    not be surprised. There always seems to be een knappe belemmeringen.

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    2007 Pricelessware CD now available. 600Mb of the best of the best in
    Freeware. E-Mail me for details.

    .... I will die on my feet before I will live on my knees!

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Mar 22, 2007
  11. Nicolaas Hawkins

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 18:36:37 +1200, ~misfit~ <>
    > wrote in <news:46022429$>:
    >
    > > Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    > > > On 21 Mar 2007 19:43:04 -0700, Sir to you <>
    > > > wrote in

    > > > Oh yes, very droll .....
    > > >
    > > > Being an expert yourself, are you offering to teach me how to
    > > > fiddle?

    > > Who is this Nicolaas? I'm assuming a (linux) troll has nym-shifted
    > > again?
    > >
    > > Cheers,

    > Judging by the characteristic helpfulness of the reply, Shaun, I
    > should not be surprised. There always seems to be een knappe
    > belemmeringen.

    Agreed.

    I think I'll killfile the fool next time they post.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Mar 22, 2007
  12. Nicolaas Hawkins

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 00:11:22 +1200, "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >> On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 18:36:37 +1200, ~misfit~ <>
    >> wrote in <news:46022429$>:

    >> > Who is this Nicolaas? I'm assuming a (linux) troll has nym-shifted
    >> > again?
    >> >
    >> > Cheers,

    >> Judging by the characteristic helpfulness of the reply, Shaun, I
    >> should not be surprised. There always seems to be een knappe
    >> belemmeringen.

    >Agreed.
    >
    >I think I'll killfile the fool next time they post.

    You have more Kill files than News Groups, you do need to se a Doctor as to me you are mentally
    Sick..

    Mathew Good, Mar 22, 2007
  13. On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:01:46 +1200, newsgroup kook Roger Sheppard, posing
    as Mathew Good <mg@yahoo.>, wrote in

    **** off, keinepimmel.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Mar 23, 2007
  14. Nicolaas Hawkins

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Mathew Good < wrote in

    > Here is a Slipstream Version
    >
    > RyanVM's Windows XP Post-SP2 Update Pack
    >
    > http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/updatepack.html

    I tried it today.
    Less features than autopatcher but smaller download

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Mar 23, 2007