    Also I have been advised to look at XUbuntu as an alternative option - does
    anyone use that? Would that be a better option for me?

    Thanks in advance.

    Mike Stalwartik, Jan 8, 2009

  2. Mike Stalwartik <> wrote in
    message news::

    > I've read how to slipstream SP3 but it just make sense to me. My eyes

    I meant to say "it makes no sense" - sorry, it's my brain as well as my
    eyes.

    Mike Stalwartik, Jan 8, 2009

  3. Mike Stalwartik wrote:

    > Also I have been advised to look at XUbuntu as an alternative option -
    > does anyone use that? Would that be a better option for me?

    Xubuntu is more-or-less designed for machines with 'lesser' hardware. If
    you have 256MB of ram or more, why not try Ubuntu instead? I'd recommend
    the 8.04 LTS Desktop version, rather than the cutting edge 8.10. LTS
    means Long Term Support. Link here:

    http://ubuntu.com/
    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

    Look through the download pages, find a mirror, download the ISO file
    and burn a CD. Then you can boot from this LiveCD and test it out
    without making any changes to your current system.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 8, 2009
  4. Mike Stalwartik

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Mike Stalwartik wrote:
    > I've read how to slipstream SP3 but it just make sense to me. My eyes aren't
    > what they used to be so your help would be very much appreciated. I've tried
    > following the instructions but without success.

    This sounds like one of those questions that needs another question,
    What exactly are you trying to achieve and why have you chosen this
    particular route?

    If you have an existing install of XP, just apply SP3
    If you are doing a new install, just install and then apply SP3
    I can only think of two instances where you would want to have a
    slipstreamed XP install disk with SP3 and that would be if you regularly
    re-install or you are a system builder.

    > Also I have been advised to look at XUbuntu as an alternative option - does
    > anyone use that? Would that be a better option for me?

    I doubt that anyone here could tell you whether a completely different
    operating system would suit you as we have no information of your
    requirements, your hardware or the software you want to use.

    Desk Rabbit, Jan 8, 2009
  5. Mike Stalwartik

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 22:34:02 +1000, Mike Stalwartik wrote:

    >I've read how to slipstream SP3 but it just make sense to me. My eyes aren't
    >what they used to be so your help would be very much appreciated. I've tried
    >following the instructions but without success.

    Which instructions? Where did you get stuck?

    >Can someone take the time simply to list the process in bullet point format,
    >it would be so much easier.

    There are already many sites with instructions on how to do this?
    Another set would help how? Not knowing what was the problem means no
    way of working around it. Was it too many steps, too detailed, not
    enough detail?

    >Also I have been advised to look at XUbuntu as an alternative option - does

    As an alternative to do what? Sure it's a different OS but ....

    >anyone use that? Would that be a better option for me?

    Me

    why?, Jan 8, 2009
  6. Mike Stalwartik

    chuckcar Guest

    "Mike Stalwartik" <> wrote in

    > I've read how to slipstream SP3 but it just make sense to me. My eyes
    > aren't what they used to be so your help would be very much appreciated.
    > I've tried following the instructions but without success.
    >
    > Can someone take the time simply to list the process in bullet point
    > format, it would be so much easier.
    >
    > Also I have been advised to look at XUbuntu as an alternative option -
    > does anyone use that? Would that be a better option for me?

    Ubuntu is the name for a distribution of linux. Or in other words a free
    version of unix. Unless you have used and upgraded/maintained linux before
    or have someone willing to set up and maintain wine for you under linix,
    this might not be the best choice.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jan 8, 2009
  7. Mike Stalwartik

    VanguardLH Guest

    Mike Stalwartik wrote:

    > I've read how to slipstream SP3 but it just make sense to me. My eyes aren't
    > what they used to be so your help would be very much appreciated. I've tried
    > following the instructions but without success.
    >
    > Can someone take the time simply to list the process in bullet point format,
    > it would be so much easier.
    >
    > Also I have been advised to look at XUbuntu as an alternative option - does
    > anyone use that? Would that be a better option for me?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Use nLite. Automates the process of slipstreaming service packs and
    drivers into an updated Windows install CD.

    http://www.nliteos.com/

    VanguardLH, Jan 8, 2009
  8. Mike Stalwartik

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 18:17:05 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >> Also I have been advised to look at XUbuntu as an alternative option -
    >> does anyone use that? Would that be a better option for me?
    >>

    >Ubuntu is the name for a distribution of linux. Or in other words a free
    >version of unix. Unless you have used and upgraded/maintained linux before
    >or have someone willing to set up and maintain wine for you under linix,
    >this might not be the best choice.

    And the OP asked about XUBUNTU.

    If you don't have a clue what you're talking about, kindly STFU.

    Evan Platt, Jan 8, 2009
  9. Mike Stalwartik

    Guest

    "Mike Stalwartik" <>
    wrote:

    >I've read how to slipstream SP3 but it just make sense to me. My eyes aren't
    >what they used to be so your help would be very much appreciated. I've tried
    >following the instructions but without success.
    >
    >Can someone take the time simply to list the process in bullet point format,
    >it would be so much easier.
    >
    >Also I have been advised to look at XUbuntu as an alternative option - does
    >anyone use that? Would that be a better option for me?
    >
    >Thanks in advance.

    If you are using a corporate version of XP, I can send you an XP
    slipstreamed to SP3.

    Highly unlikely that you do, but just in case.

    --

    Real sounding story about a UFO or a deorbiting streetlight
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/ufos/article2108149.ece

    , Jan 8, 2009
  10. Mike Stalwartik

    doS Guest

    google nlite

    doS, Jan 9, 2009
  11. Mike Stalwartik

    Peeassha Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > "Mike Stalwartik" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I've read how to slipstream SP3 but it just make sense to me. My eyes
    >> aren't what they used to be so your help would be very much appreciated.
    >> I've tried following the instructions but without success.
    >>
    >> Can someone take the time simply to list the process in bullet point
    >> format, it would be so much easier.
    >>
    >> Also I have been advised to look at XUbuntu as an alternative option -
    >> does anyone use that? Would that be a better option for me?
    >>

    > Ubuntu is the name for a distribution of linux. Or in other words a free
    > version of unix. Unless you have used and upgraded/maintained linux before
    > or have someone willing to set up and maintain wine for you under linix,
    > this might not be the best choice.
    >

    > --
    > (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    You squares at the plate then Ubunt the ball down the 3rd baseline and run
    to first.

    Peeassha, Jan 9, 2009
  12. Peeassha <> wrote in message

    > "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >> "Mike Stalwartik" <>
    >> wrote in news::
    >>
    >>> I've read how to slipstream SP3 but it just make sense to me. My
    >>> eyes aren't what they used to be so your help would be very much
    >>> appreciated. I've tried following the instructions but without
    >>> success. Can someone take the time simply to list the process in bullet
    >>> point
    >>> format, it would be so much easier.
    >>>
    >>> Also I have been advised to look at XUbuntu as an alternative
    >>> option - does anyone use that? Would that be a better option for me?
    >>>

    >> Ubuntu is the name for a distribution of linux. Or in other words a
    >> free version of unix. Unless you have used and upgraded/maintained
    >> linux before or have someone willing to set up and maintain wine for
    >> you under linix, this might not be the best choice.
    >>

    >> --
    >> (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    > You squares at the plate then Ubunt the ball down the 3rd baseline
    > and run to first.

    pmsl

    Javen Rubinstein, Jan 9, 2009