    a call from overseas by a peson, probably from India, trying to get me to switch
    to Slingshot toll calls and internet access.

    Don't Slingshot make enough bread to pay people living in NZ to do their work?

    Craig Shore, Apr 2, 2006

  2. Craig Shore

    k Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > Last week we had missed several overseas calls (we have caller ID) and they
    > hadn't left a message. I thought it was a bit strange because if someone really
    > needed to get hold of us they could have called our mobiles or left a message.
    > Then we received another call on Sat 25th at 7:08pm while we were home. It was
    > a call from overseas by a peson, probably from India, trying to get me to switch
    > to Slingshot toll calls and internet access.
    >
    > Don't Slingshot make enough bread to pay people living in NZ to do their work?

    What did the caller-id have as the number when you missed the calls?

    What gave your the impression it was from overseas when they called on
    Saturday?

    k, Apr 2, 2006

  3. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 15:46:40 +1200, k <> wrote:

    >Craig Shore wrote:
    >> Last week we had missed several overseas calls (we have caller ID) and they
    >> hadn't left a message. I thought it was a bit strange because if someone really
    >> needed to get hold of us they could have called our mobiles or left a message.
    >> Then we received another call on Sat 25th at 7:08pm while we were home. It was
    >> a call from overseas by a peson, probably from India, trying to get me to switch
    >> to Slingshot toll calls and internet access.
    >>
    >> Don't Slingshot make enough bread to pay people living in NZ to do their work?
    >>

    >What did the caller-id have as the number when you missed the calls?
    >
    >What gave your the impression it was from overseas when they called on
    >Saturday?

    The phone came up with "Overseas Call" on it's screen and the caller number as
    0000

    Craig Shore, Apr 2, 2006
  4. Craig Shore

    k Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 15:46:40 +1200, k <> wrote:
    >
    >> Craig Shore wrote:
    >>> Last week we had missed several overseas calls (we have caller ID) and they
    >>> hadn't left a message. I thought it was a bit strange because if someone really
    >>> needed to get hold of us they could have called our mobiles or left a message.
    >>> Then we received another call on Sat 25th at 7:08pm while we were home. It was
    >>> a call from overseas by a peson, probably from India, trying to get me to switch
    >>> to Slingshot toll calls and internet access.
    >>>
    >>> Don't Slingshot make enough bread to pay people living in NZ to do their work?
    >>>

    >> What did the caller-id have as the number when you missed the calls?
    >>
    >> What gave your the impression it was from overseas when they called on
    >> Saturday?

    > The phone came up with "Overseas Call" on it's screen and the caller number as
    > 0000

    Ahh yes, '0000' :)

    The only reason I asked is that they also have a bit of a
    telecommunications provider division too, don't they?

    In which case they'd have all sorts of telephony trickery going on.

    I didn't think they'd stoop that low but then all things considered, I
    think you're right :)

    k, Apr 2, 2006
  5. Craig Shore

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 16:04:42 +1200, k <> exclaimed:

    >Craig Shore wrote:

    >>> What did the caller-id have as the number when you missed the calls?
    >>>
    >>> What gave your the impression it was from overseas when they called on
    >>> Saturday?

    >> The phone came up with "Overseas Call" on it's screen and the caller number as
    >> 0000
    >>

    >Ahh yes, '0000' :)
    >
    >The only reason I asked is that they also have a bit of a
    >telecommunications provider division too, don't they?
    >
    >In which case they'd have all sorts of telephony trickery going on.
    >
    >I didn't think they'd stoop that low but then all things considered, I
    >think you're right :)

    We had the same deal, someone called from an Indian call centre asking
    us to switch to Slingshot.

    Told them politely that we weren't interested. They asked why. I told
    them that, amongst other things, we prefer to support companies that
    support New Zealand, rather than outsourcing overseas. Whilst they
    didn't explicitly confirm they were calling from overseas (it was
    pretty obvious they were, anyway) they didn't deny it either.

    Fred Dagg, Apr 2, 2006
  6. Craig Shore

    Tony Guest

    Had a definitely Indian sounding dude call about a month ago for
    Slingshot tolls as well. Not sure where they get their list for though
    as he had no idea that I was already a Slingshot tolls customer.

    Tony, Apr 2, 2006
  7. "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > Last week we had missed several overseas calls (we have caller ID) and
    > they
    > hadn't left a message. I thought it was a bit strange because if someone
    > really
    > needed to get hold of us they could have called our mobiles or left a
    > message.
    > Then we received another call on Sat 25th at 7:08pm while we were home.
    > It was
    > a call from overseas by a peson, probably from India, trying to get me to
    > switch
    > to Slingshot toll calls and internet access.
    >
    > Don't Slingshot make enough bread to pay people living in NZ to do their
    > work?

    You are not the only one... A few people on Geekzone complained of their
    "approach", quite pushy and with no knowledge of the local landscape in
    terms of products and services for broadband and telephony:

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=49&TopicId=7186

    --

    Mauricio Freitas
    www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Apr 2, 2006
  8. Craig Shore

    RJ Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Last week we had missed several overseas calls (we have caller ID) and they
    > hadn't left a message. I thought it was a bit strange because if someone really
    > needed to get hold of us they could have called our mobiles or left a message.
    > Then we received another call on Sat 25th at 7:08pm while we were home. It was
    > a call from overseas by a peson, probably from India, trying to get me to switch
    > to Slingshot toll calls and internet access.
    >
    > Don't Slingshot make enough bread to pay people living in NZ to do their work?

    They are extremely cheap

    RJ, Apr 2, 2006
  9. Craig Shore

    David Empson Guest

    Fred Dagg <> wrote:

    > We had the same deal, someone called from an Indian call centre asking
    > us to switch to Slingshot.

    Me too, about a month or two ago.

    At the time I had a dial-up Internet connection with Actrix, and they
    were trying to convince me to switch to Slingshot for my dial-up
    Internet and tolls.

    I explained that I wasn't interested in changing to another Internet
    Service Provider because that would involve changing my e-mail address.
    They said that I could could keep the same e-mail address. Only the part
    after the @ sign would change.

    They also tried to convince me that I would save money: I was paying
    about $18.95 a month for my Actrix plan, and Slingshot would be about a
    dollar cheaper for a similar plan, as long as I switched to Slingshot
    for my toll calls, and made at least $10 of calls a month. I pointed out
    that I make almost no toll calls from my landline, certainly never $10 a
    month, and they were still trying to convince me that I was going to
    save money.

    Sigh.
    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Apr 2, 2006
  10. Craig Shore

    Stu Fleming Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:

    > Don't Slingshot make enough bread to pay people living in NZ to do their work?

    Maybe they should sign up with a cheap call provider...oh, hang on...

    Stu Fleming, Apr 2, 2006
  11. On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 16:04:42 +1200, someone purporting to be k didst
    scrawl:

    > Craig Shore wrote:
    >> On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 15:46:40 +1200, k <> wrote:

    *SNIP*
    >> The phone came up with "Overseas Call" on it's screen and the caller number as
    >> 0000
    >>

    > Ahh yes, '0000' :)
    >
    > The only reason I asked is that they also have a bit of a
    > telecommunications provider division too, don't they?

    Indeed they do. And when I worked for them, they routed a lot of calls out
    through Aus and then back again because it was cheaper than direct
    inter-connection with Vodafone or Telecom - how's that for a fucked up
    telecommunications environment? That trombone routing leads to a CLID of
    0000.

    > In which case they'd have all sorts of telephony trickery going on.
    >
    > I didn't think they'd stoop that low but then all things considered, I
    > think you're right :)

    Their helldesk is definitely based in NZ, since I know one of the two
    people who manages it. If they're trying to do an outbound sales centre,
    I'd be surprised if it's based in India but I wouldn't rule it out.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

    Matthew Poole, Apr 2, 2006
  12. Craig Shore

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > Last week we had missed several overseas calls (we have caller ID) and
    > they
    > hadn't left a message. I thought it was a bit strange because if someone
    > really
    > needed to get hold of us they could have called our mobiles or left a
    > message.
    > Then we received another call on Sat 25th at 7:08pm while we were home.
    > It was
    > a call from overseas by a peson, probably from India, trying to get me to
    > switch
    > to Slingshot toll calls and internet access.
    >
    > Don't Slingshot make enough bread to pay people living in NZ to do their
    > work?

    A while back not only did I have some damn Indian trying to sell me
    Slingshot tolls but then tried to sell me Slingshot's Internet deals as
    well.
    I got an auto email reply that Slingshot recieved my complaint, but no real
    reply to the complaint about the Indian on the real noisy phone line trying
    to sell Slingshot tolls.

    Slingshot simply doesn't give a stuff about the complaints about their
    telemarketers. Some ego maniac at Slingshot is too busy trying to tug at
    the tail of Telecom - while at the same time only offering better Slingshot
    internet deals only as long as you buy into Slingshot tolls and a buy a
    useless set of made in China knives as well.

    Go ahead and email a complaint to Slingshot anyway. These damn
    telemarketers only turn more people off than the small number of suckers
    they manage to real in.
    It's nothing more than spamming people, just over the phone line instead of
    over the internet.
    Bit strange that Slingshot would do spamming of any kind.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Apr 5, 2006