    Are the pings higher? the connection less stable? etc etc

    Cheers,
    Matt

    mattlock, May 21, 2005

  2. mattlock

    ~misfit~ Guest

    mattlock wrote:
    > Hey all,
    > We've been thinking about switching over to the Slingshot 2mbit UBS
    > plan. Before we take the plunge though, is it inferior to the telecom
    > plans? Are the pings higher? the connection less stable? etc etc

    It is my understanding that *all* UBS plans have worse pings than Telecom
    'X'stream plans and suffer very badly from jitter. (Intermittant lag-spikes)
    This is deliberately introduced by Telecom to combat VoIP. Cringely's been
    talking about it a bit and so has NZ PC World.

    Also, UBS plans are severely under-provisioned. If you're an on-line gamer
    then it's virtually impossible to play between the hours of 3pm and
    midnight. Lag is horrendous at those times, merely really bad at other
    times.

    Time for the Commerce Commision to step in. Anyone know if they have an
    email addy?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, May 21, 2005

  3. mattlock

    steve Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Time for the Commerce Commision to step in. Anyone know if they have an
    > email addy?

    Write them a letter and make a complaint. The more people who do, the
    better.

    Copy the Telecommunications Commissioner and the responsible Ministers.

    steve, May 21, 2005
  4. mattlock

    ~misfit~ Guest

    steve wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Time for the Commerce Commision to step in. Anyone know if they have
    >> an email addy?

    > Write them a letter and make a complaint. The more people who do, the
    > better.
    >
    > Copy the Telecommunications Commissioner and the responsible
    > Ministers.

    Just found this site:

    http://www.comcom.govt.nz/Inquiries/contactus.aspx

    Will fill it in and maybe write as well.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, May 21, 2005
  5. mattlock

    Brett Guest

    :) it's an election year, so I'm looking forward to the
    Telecommunications Commissioner public kanning telecom over the ubs,
    even if it's just 4 votes. maybe telecom has though of this, and make
    there network like it is, so, when they change, they just go back to a
    level they r happy with.

    It's like they grew an extra finger, just for it to be cut off and
    apear normal.

    Brett, May 22, 2005
  6. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Time for the Commerce Commision to step in. Anyone know if they have an
    > email addy?

    :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 22, 2005