Slingshot sucks

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 19, 2003.

  1. Jamie Kahn Genet

    T.N.O. Guest

    "~misfit~" wrote
    > > > So how does it stack up in the real world? Anyone using it like to

    > > comment?

    > > well my mum used to use it, no hassles for her, although I used to do

    any
    > > helpdesk type work for her.

    > And did she find it helped?

    yeah, she loves it, it is considerably faster than plain text on my machine,
    downloads of files(most are zip)take just as long.

    She does a lot of Genealogy stuff, so most of it is reading of text.

    T.N.O., Oct 22, 2003

  2. Hi there,

    T.N.O. wrote:
    > "~misfit~" wrote

    >>>comment?

    >>>well my mum used to use it, no hassles for her, although I used to do

    > any
    >
    >>>helpdesk type work for her.

    >>And did she find it helped?

    > yeah, she loves it, it is considerably faster than plain text on my machine,
    > downloads of files(most are zip)take just as long.

    If you're a big downloader you'll see next to no speed increase, but if
    you like to browse text heavy websites you'll see a good increase. The
    thing that gets me is that text-heavy websites are usually quite fast
    to download anyway, and that new parts of the next v.92 modem standard
    will probably make Xcelerator technology obsolete very soon...

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch.

    Chris Wilkinson, Oct 22, 2003

  3. Jamie Kahn Genet

    pour-lay Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:35:58 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his.desk.com>
    wrote:

    >Thanks for the report, I wondered if it was any good. Prolly not for me.

    I can't help wondering if they make their 'regular' service suck as a
    way to promote the 'extra service'.

    pour-lay, Oct 22, 2003
  4. Jamie Kahn Genet

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Chris Wilkinson" wrote
    > If you're a big downloader you'll see next to no speed increase, but if
    > you like to browse text heavy websites you'll see a good increase. The
    > thing that gets me is that text-heavy websites are usually quite fast
    > to download anyway, and that new parts of the next v.92 modem standard
    > will probably make Xcelerator technology obsolete very soon...

    Where is the incentive to get V92 gear, and if you have it, why switch
    it(v92) on, I mean the modem on hold thing only ties up a line that another
    user could use.

    T.N.O., Oct 22, 2003
  5. Hi there,

    T.N.O. wrote:
    > "Chris Wilkinson" wrote
    >
    >>If you're a big downloader you'll see next to no speed increase, but if
    >>you like to browse text heavy websites you'll see a good increase. The
    >>thing that gets me is that text-heavy websites are usually quite fast
    >>to download anyway, and that new parts of the next v.92 modem standard
    >>will probably make Xcelerator technology obsolete very soon...

    > Where is the incentive to get V92 gear, and if you have it, why switch
    > it(v92) on, I mean the modem on hold thing only ties up a line that another
    > user could use.

    Its up to ISP's to support v92 at their end too, so it isn't happening
    yet, but if you read the tech data from the new standard website you'll
    see that newer compression technology will support higher compression
    yet again on even stuff like mpeg files etc...something that Xcelerator
    doesn't...

    Chris Wilkinson, Oct 22, 2003
  6. "Jamie Kahn Genet" <> wrote in message
    > I've been with them since getting a recommendation from this group a few
    > weeks ago.
    >
    > In that short time they've immediately deleted several days worth of
    > incoming email so I never even saw it, have NEVER replied to one of the
    > half dozen or so emails I sent to their helpdesk and when I did bother
    > to WASTE eight dollars on their 0900 help line it took SIX calls to get
    > anyone with most of that time spent listening to the ring tone and
    > watching my telephone bill increase.
    >
    > When I finally did speak to the jackass on the other end, he had the
    > gall to say it wasn't their fault, he couldn't see a problem, there was
    > no problem (I guess it's all been a bad dream, huh asshole?), and that
    > it must be my email client (MacSOUP 2.5) deleting the mail (pure
    > bullshit, cause I WATCH the f**king commands MacSOUP sends and the
    > replies from the server AS THEY HAPPEN. I think I might have noticed
    > such a weird and frankly, highly improbable, if not impossible
    > incident).
    >
    > Is it just me or is Slingshot <http://www.slingshot.co.nz> the most up
    > themselves ISP in NZ? Still, I had to laugh when they started tagging
    > their OWN automated (NOT real!) replies as spam. They soon stopped doing
    > that after I emailed them to point that out (without getting a
    > response). What f**kups.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet
    > --
    > If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

    emails not a problem for me. Noone writes to me anyway. Oh yeah, I'm with
    e3. Noon knows em. Not even the spammer. lol

    HATES COMPUTERS, Oct 23, 2003
  7. HATES COMPUTERS <> wrote:

    > "Jamie Kahn Genet" <> wrote in message
    > > I've been with them since getting a recommendation from this group a few
    > > weeks ago.
    > >
    > > In that short time they've immediately deleted several days worth of
    > > incoming email so I never even saw it, have NEVER replied to one of the
    > > half dozen or so emails I sent to their helpdesk and when I did bother

    [snip]
    > > Is it just me or is Slingshot <http://www.slingshot.co.nz> the most up
    > > themselves ISP in NZ? Still, I had to laugh when they started tagging
    > > their OWN automated (NOT real!) replies as spam. They soon stopped doing
    > > that after I emailed them to point that out (without getting a
    > > response). What f**kups.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Jamie Kahn Genet
    > > --
    > > If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

    > emails not a problem for me. Noone writes to me anyway. Oh yeah, I'm with
    > e3. Noon knows em. Not even the spammer. lol

    Your email client is not snipping my sig as it should.

    As for E3 - that's who I changed from. I _almost_ regret my decision
    now.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 23, 2003
  8. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his.desk.com> wrote in

    > Thanks for the report, I wondered if it was any good. Prolly not for
    > me. --
    > ~misfit~

    Carefull misfit, the *snip police* will be on your back if you only add a
    couple of lines and repost the previous 55 :)

    Chris Mayhew, Oct 25, 2003
  9. Jamie Kahn Genet

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Chris Mayhew wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his.desk.com> wrote in

    <snip>

    > Carefull misfit, the *snip police* will be on your back if you only
    > add a couple of lines and repost the previous 55 :)

    Thanks for the heads-up. I'll be more careful in future. :)
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Oct 25, 2003
  10. Jamie Kahn Genet

    faceleg

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    3
    I have also found them hard to deal with. And rude, and sneaky.

    I was so disgusted with the “service” I received that I made this site: A Slingshot Customer’s Experience – slingshot (dot) org (dot) nz.

    The sad thing is that this is the third time my family has had a Slingshot account – before now we loved them.

    Slow broadband and awful service.

    faceleg, Jan 23, 2011