Slingshot sucks

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 19, 2003.

  1. I've been with them since getting a recommendation from this group a few
    weeks ago.

    In that short time they've immediately deleted several days worth of
    incoming email so I never even saw it, have NEVER replied to one of the
    half dozen or so emails I sent to their helpdesk and when I did bother
    to WASTE eight dollars on their 0900 help line it took SIX calls to get
    anyone with most of that time spent listening to the ring tone and
    watching my telephone bill increase.

    When I finally did speak to the jackass on the other end, he had the
    gall to say it wasn't their fault, he couldn't see a problem, there was
    no problem (I guess it's all been a bad dream, huh asshole?), and that
    it must be my email client (MacSOUP 2.5) deleting the mail (pure
    bullshit, cause I WATCH the f**king commands MacSOUP sends and the
    replies from the server AS THEY HAPPEN. I think I might have noticed
    such a weird and frankly, highly improbable, if not impossible
    incident).

    Is it just me or is Slingshot <http://www.slingshot.co.nz> the most up
    themselves ISP in NZ? Still, I had to laugh when they started tagging
    their OWN automated (NOT real!) replies as spam. They soon stopped doing
    that after I emailed them to point that out (without getting a
    response). What f**kups.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 19, 2003

  2. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 19:50:10 +1300, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

    > In that short time they've immediately deleted several days worth of
    > incoming email so I never even saw it,

    Question, then how do you know it was deleted? ;-)
    Gordon, Oct 19, 2003

  3. Jamie Kahn Genet

    max Guest

    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    Are you blaming the people on this newsgroup for recommending them? I
    think you need to get a grip and cool down. I use them, and find them
    relatively good. I don't use the email accounts, I just use it for
    dialup at night, and they are good for the price, and better
    connection speeds than xtra. They did have a problem on Friday where
    it was down for about 3 hours, but it was one of the few times I hvbe
    had a problem.
    All isps have issues now and again, it is the nature of the business,
    but I think your posting is very unconstructive.
    max, Oct 19, 2003
  4. Jamie Kahn Genet

    TmcT Guest

    I've been with them since i4free close down (their "free" service I mean),
    so far, less than 5 times of connection problem I can remember. (i'm 24x7
    user!)

    But I agree it take a long time to get response from their helpdesk.
    (price...)

    TmcT, Oct 19, 2003
  5. Gordon <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 19:50:10 +1300, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >
    > > In that short time they've immediately deleted several days worth of
    > > incoming email so I never even saw it,

    > Question, then how do you know it was deleted? ;-)

    I get several hundred SPAM emails every day on top of the numerous
    mailing list and personal emails I receive each day.

    Do you really expect me to believe that over a dozen mailing lists and
    numerous SPAMers and con-artists just stoped for over 48 hours, and that
    several important personal emails were all of a sudden, out of the blue,
    sent incorrectly to me during the same period, with no bounces reported
    by the senders? That this was all just an amazing co-incidence? That the
    rest of the world (or at least the part I communicate with via email)
    just shut down? That messages _I_ sent to mailing lists and even to
    _myself_ just disappeared?

    You don't find it odd that for over 48 hours MacSOUP (my email client)
    reported ZERO new emails? That Eudora reported the same?

    You know, you're right. I guess it was all just a co-incidence. I'm
    sorry I wasted your time with my little problem.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 19, 2003
  6. max <> wrote:

    > > Jamie Kahn Genet

    > Are you blaming the people on this newsgroup for recommending them?

    No. I take responsibility for my own choices. But I do humbly question
    the quality of the recommendations.

    > I think you need to get a grip and cool down. I use them, and find them
    > relatively good. I don't use the email accounts, I just use it for dialup
    > at night, and they are good for the price, and better connection speeds
    > than xtra.

    I too have found there connection speeds to be fairly good, and
    tolerably stable.

    > They did have a problem on Friday where it was down for about 3 hours, but
    > it was one of the few times I hvbe had a problem. All isps have issues now
    > and again, it is the nature of the business, but I think your posting is
    > very unconstructive.

    Then what's your take on Slingshot's total lack of replies to my
    requests for help? _That's_ unconstructive. Are they simply refusing to
    help because I'm a Mac user? Because I actually chose to use decent,
    standards respecting email and web clients (i.e. not MSOE and MSIE)? If
    so, why? NOTHING that has happened to me is system, OS or even
    application specific.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 19, 2003
  7. Jamie Kahn Genet

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Jamie Kahn Genet" wrote
    > You don't find it odd that for over 48 hours MacSOUP (my email client)
    > reported ZERO new emails? That Eudora reported the same?
    >
    > You know, you're right. I guess it was all just a co-incidence. I'm
    > sorry I wasted your time with my little problem.

    no worries, a pleasure to help you in your time of need, even though you
    admit you were wrong :)
    T.N.O., Oct 19, 2003
  8. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote in

    > I get several hundred SPAM emails every day on top of the numerous
    > mailing list and personal emails I receive each day.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    With that amount of mail is it possible that you exceeded the mail box
    allocation and they simply deleted or capped it because of the size it was
    growing at ? Maybe you could check the size of your mail box or the T&C to
    see what the story is with the size of a mail box.
    Chris Mayhew, Oct 19, 2003
  9. Jamie Kahn Genet

    max Guest

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 02:20:52 +1300, (Jamie
    Kahn Genet) wrote:

    >max <> wrote:
    >
    >> > Jamie Kahn Genet

    >> Are you blaming the people on this newsgroup for recommending them?

    >No. I take responsibility for my own choices. But I do humbly question
    >the quality of the recommendations.
    >
    >> I think you need to get a grip and cool down. I use them, and find them
    >> relatively good. I don't use the email accounts, I just use it for dialup
    >> at night, and they are good for the price, and better connection speeds
    >> than xtra.

    >I too have found there connection speeds to be fairly good, and
    >tolerably stable.
    >
    >> They did have a problem on Friday where it was down for about 3 hours, but
    >> it was one of the few times I hvbe had a problem. All isps have issues now
    >> and again, it is the nature of the business, but I think your posting is
    >> very unconstructive.

    >Then what's your take on Slingshot's total lack of replies to my
    >requests for help? _That's_ unconstructive. Are they simply refusing to
    >help because I'm a Mac user? Because I actually chose to use decent,
    >standards respecting email and web clients (i.e. not MSOE and MSIE)? If
    >so, why? NOTHING that has happened to me is system, OS or even
    >application specific.
    >
    >Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    You didn't tell us how long you waited for them to respond or when you
    sent the emails. They don't reply in the weekend, so if you sent it on
    Saturday expecting an answer then that could be why.
    max, Oct 20, 2003
  10. Chris Mayhew <> wrote:

    > (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote in
    >
    > > I get several hundred SPAM emails every day on top of the numerous
    > > mailing list and personal emails I receive each day.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Jamie Kahn Genet

    > With that amount of mail is it possible that you exceeded the mail box
    > allocation and they simply deleted or capped it because of the size it was
    > growing at ? Maybe you could check the size of your mail box or the T&C to
    > see what the story is with the size of a mail box.

    I possibility I considered, then dismissed for the following reason: I
    pay Slingshot to automatically delete virus laden attachments before
    they reach me. Thus, it's pretty hard to see how even a couple thousand
    text only emails - none longer than ten pages - could exceed the size
    limit. Unless Slingshot are so monumentally stupid as to use the size of
    the SPAM before attachment deletion to figure mailbox limits. The amount
    of SPAM a couple weeks ago was monumental, though.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 20, 2003
  11. max <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 02:20:52 +1300, (Jamie
    > Kahn Genet) wrote:

    [snip]
    > >Then what's your take on Slingshot's total lack of replies to my
    > >requests for help? _That's_ unconstructive. Are they simply refusing to
    > >help because I'm a Mac user? Because I actually chose to use decent,
    > >standards respecting email and web clients (i.e. not MSOE and MSIE)? If
    > >so, why? NOTHING that has happened to me is system, OS or even
    > >application specific.
    > >
    > >Regards,
    > > Jamie Kahn Genet

    > You didn't tell us how long you waited for them to respond or when you
    > sent the emails. They don't reply in the weekend, so if you sent it on
    > Saturday expecting an answer then that could be why.

    The oldest email to their helplessdesk is now 20 days old.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 20, 2003
  12. Jamie Kahn Genet

    max Guest

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 13:40:43 +1300, (Jamie
    Kahn Genet) wrote:

    >max <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 02:20:52 +1300, (Jamie
    >> Kahn Genet) wrote:

    >[snip]
    >> >Then what's your take on Slingshot's total lack of replies to my
    >> >requests for help? _That's_ unconstructive. Are they simply refusing to
    >> >help because I'm a Mac user? Because I actually chose to use decent,
    >> >standards respecting email and web clients (i.e. not MSOE and MSIE)? If
    >> >so, why? NOTHING that has happened to me is system, OS or even
    >> >application specific.
    >> >
    >> >Regards,
    >> > Jamie Kahn Genet

    >> You didn't tell us how long you waited for them to respond or when you
    >> sent the emails. They don't reply in the weekend, so if you sent it on
    >> Saturday expecting an answer then that could be why.

    >The oldest email to their helplessdesk is now 20 days old.
    >
    >Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    OK that is quite a long time. I give people 7 days for responding to
    email before I follow it up.
    max, Oct 20, 2003
  13. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote in
    Thus, it's pretty hard to see how even a couple
    > thousand text only emails - none longer than ten pages - could exceed
    > the size limit. Unless Slingshot are so monumentally stupid as to use
    > the size of the SPAM before attachment deletion to figure mailbox
    > limits. The amount of SPAM a couple weeks ago was monumental, though.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    What is the size limit ?
    Chris Mayhew, Oct 20, 2003
  14. Hi there,

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > I've been with them since getting a recommendation from this group a few
    > weeks ago.

    I've heard mixed reactions about their service, and the Xcelerator
    service for dialup users (says up to 3 times faster) is just a
    slightly different compression algorithm that is passed over the
    modem then de/compressed by client and server software at each end
    of the phone. I understand the client package is Windoze only, so
    Mac and Linux surfers luck out (correct me if wrong). I also would
    imagine slingshot would cache popular website files locally (cnn,
    google, etc...), so that requests for these files would come from
    a local server, not a 'distant' one...

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch.
    Chris Wilkinson, Oct 21, 2003
  15. Jamie Kahn Genet

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > > I've been with them since getting a recommendation from this group a few
    > > weeks ago.

    > I've heard mixed reactions about their service, and the Xcelerator
    > service for dialup users (says up to 3 times faster) is just a
    > slightly different compression algorithm that is passed over the
    > modem then de/compressed by client and server software at each end
    > of the phone. I understand the client package is Windoze only, so
    > Mac and Linux surfers luck out (correct me if wrong). I also would
    > imagine slingshot would cache popular website files locally (cnn,
    > google, etc...), so that requests for these files would come from
    > a local server, not a 'distant' one...

    So how does it stack up in the real world? Anyone using it like to comment?
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Oct 21, 2003
  16. Jamie Kahn Genet

    T.N.O. Guest

    "~misfit~" wrote
    > So how does it stack up in the real world? Anyone using it like to

    comment?

    well my mum used to use it, no hassles for her, although I used to do any
    helpdesk type work for her.
    T.N.O., Oct 21, 2003
  17. In <> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >> I've been with them since getting a recommendation from this group a
    >> few weeks ago.

    > I've heard mixed reactions about their service, and the Xcelerator
    > service for dialup users (says up to 3 times faster) is just a
    > slightly different compression algorithm that is passed over the
    > modem then de/compressed by client and server software at each end
    > of the phone. I understand the client package is Windoze only, so
    > Mac and Linux surfers luck out (correct me if wrong). I also would
    > imagine slingshot would cache popular website files locally (cnn,
    > google, etc...), so that requests for these files would come from
    > a local server, not a 'distant' one...
    >
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch.

    Ihug are using the Xcelerator software too. According to the ihug web
    page on it there's a Mac version coming in December. No mention of a
    Linux version there or on the product's web site at http://www.propel.
    com/

    PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
    order at http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz
    Roger Johnstone, Oct 21, 2003
  18. Jamie Kahn Genet

    TmcT Guest

    "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his.desk.com> wrote in message

    > "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > > > I've been with them since getting a recommendation from this group a

    few
    > > > weeks ago.

    > > I've heard mixed reactions about their service, and the Xcelerator
    > > service for dialup users (says up to 3 times faster) is just a
    > > slightly different compression algorithm that is passed over the
    > > modem then de/compressed by client and server software at each end
    > > of the phone. I understand the client package is Windoze only, so
    > > Mac and Linux surfers luck out (correct me if wrong). I also would
    > > imagine slingshot would cache popular website files locally (cnn,
    > > google, etc...), so that requests for these files would come from
    > > a local server, not a 'distant' one...

    > So how does it stack up in the real world? Anyone using it like to

    comment?
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Having use the Xcelerator for 3 months, I would say it's increase huge the
    reaction and download speed on "text-based" website, feel like a broadband
    connection when browsing.

    For most of the time It Xcelerator will compress 90%+ on text-based files in
    average, excellent on reading news, forum and browsing.

    There is a little drawback, you can lower the graphic quality for faster
    speed but in best quality (ie. original, like I does) it actually enlarge
    the size 1-2%... Fortunately your computer will cache them for you, no need
    to download them everytime.

    Also, never had experience of reading OLD stuff, don't think there is any
    proxy working behind.

    If there's free trial (money-back maybe), and you already their customer,
    give it try. It's worth the money ($8 on top of monthly fee), but not a
    bargain.

    Unless there is 256k+ $60 flatrate available, I'll stick with this "56k
    broadband".
    TmcT, Oct 21, 2003
  19. Jamie Kahn Genet

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "TmcT" <> wrote in message
    > "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his.desk.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hi there,

    > few
    > > >
    > > > I've heard mixed reactions about their service, and the Xcelerator
    > > > service for dialup users (says up to 3 times faster) is just a
    > > > slightly different compression algorithm that is passed over the
    > > > modem then de/compressed by client and server software at each end
    > > > of the phone. I understand the client package is Windoze only, so
    > > > Mac and Linux surfers luck out (correct me if wrong). I also would
    > > > imagine slingshot would cache popular website files locally (cnn,
    > > > google, etc...), so that requests for these files would come from
    > > > a local server, not a 'distant' one...

    > > So how does it stack up in the real world? Anyone using it like to

    > comment?
    > >

    > Having use the Xcelerator for 3 months, I would say it's increase huge the
    > reaction and download speed on "text-based" website, feel like a broadband
    > connection when browsing.
    >
    > For most of the time It Xcelerator will compress 90%+ on text-based files

    in
    > average, excellent on reading news, forum and browsing.
    >
    > There is a little drawback, you can lower the graphic quality for faster
    > speed but in best quality (ie. original, like I does) it actually enlarge
    > the size 1-2%... Fortunately your computer will cache them for you, no

    need
    > to download them everytime.
    >
    > Also, never had experience of reading OLD stuff, don't think there is any
    > proxy working behind.
    >

    > If there's free trial (money-back maybe), and you already their customer,
    > give it try. It's worth the money ($8 on top of monthly fee), but not a
    > bargain.
    >
    > Unless there is 256k+ $60 flatrate available, I'll stick with this "56k
    > broadband".

    Thanks for the report, I wondered if it was any good. Prolly not for me.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Oct 21, 2003
  20. Jamie Kahn Genet

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > "~misfit~" wrote
    > > So how does it stack up in the real world? Anyone using it like to

    > comment?
    >
    > well my mum used to use it, no hassles for her, although I used to do any
    > helpdesk type work for her.

    And did she find it helped?
    --
    ~misfit~