    with Slingshot.

    the number authenticates (or accepts any logon) but does little
    else.....

    roy, Jan 4, 2005

  2. roy wrote:
    > the number authenticates (or accepts any logon) but does little
    > else.....

    Been working for me OK for the last week...

    Man in Yellow Hat, Jan 4, 2005

  3. In article <>,
    roy <> wrote:

    >anyone else recently receive something similar to this from slingshot?
    >
    >Slingshot's new dial-up number is 0873 08880. This means you now need
    >to update the settings on your computer to connect to the Internet
    >with Slingshot.
    >

    >the number authenticates (or accepts any logon) but does little
    >else.....

    Yes, a friend of mine got that too. I didn't see any other obvious
    indicators of illegitimacy, but it didn't work, so I put him back on the
    old number.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 4, 2005
  4. On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:28:50 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > roy <> wrote:
    >
    >>anyone else recently receive something similar to this from slingshot?
    >>
    >>Slingshot's new dial-up number is 0873 08880. This means you now need
    >>to update the settings on your computer to connect to the Internet
    >>with Slingshot.
    >>

    >>the number authenticates (or accepts any logon) but does little
    >>else.....

    > Yes, a friend of mine got that too. I didn't see any other obvious
    > indicators of illegitimacy, but it didn't work, so I put him back on the
    > old number.

    And changed the login password, presumably? Sounds like a nifty trick for
    grabbing passwords, if it is bogus. Though you'd presumably have to jump
    through a couple of hoops to get an 0873 number.

    Richard

    Richard Hector, Jan 4, 2005
  5. roy

    roy Guest

    yep told the s/s help desk last week, its still not working from
    hamilton, on the new service, tried tonight. using the same config,
    except the original number (086788888) works fine. tried the linux
    box also, same story.

    http, nntp, pop/smtp all time out even when using ip addresses.

    roy, Jan 5, 2005
  6. roy

    rjj Guest

    rjj, Jan 5, 2005