    towards Slingshot - seems a nicer bunch IMO..your thoughts appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Brendon
    Brendon, Aug 28, 2006

  2. On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 06:30:52 +1200, "Brendon" <>
    wrote:

    >Anyway, who votes for which - Ihug or Slingshot? I have been an ihug dial-up
    >customer for 9 years, and they won't waive the conn. fee....so am leaning
    >towards Slingshot - seems a nicer bunch IMO..your thoughts appreciated.

    I signed up with Slingshot beoadband last year - it is an OK service

    Patrick
    Patrick FitzGerald, Aug 28, 2006

  3. Brendon

    Brendon Guest

    OK, or just OK? Whats the rough amount of downtime you get with
    Slingshot? (per month).

    Thanks,
    Brendon

    Brendon, Aug 28, 2006
  4. Brendon

    Chris Lim Guest

    Brendon wrote:
    > OK, or just OK? Whats the rough amount of downtime you get with
    > Slingshot? (per month).

    I've been with Slingshot for about 4 or 5 months now and can't recall
    having any downtime. The only thing I find a bit annoying is that
    sometimes their DNS server just doesn't seem to recognise Yahoo Mail
    (mail.yahoo.com) for some reason. Usually resolves itself after a few
    minutes but is a pain, and I have no idea why it would be limited to
    just Yahoo Mail.

    Apart from that they're okay. Their excess data costs are the cheapest
    I could find anywhere (about $1/GB).
    Chris Lim, Aug 28, 2006
  5. Brendon

    EMB Guest

    Brendon wrote:

    > Anyway, who votes for which - Ihug or Slingshot? I have been an ihug dial-up
    > customer for 9 years, and they won't waive the conn. fee....so am leaning
    > towards Slingshot - seems a nicer bunch IMO..your thoughts appreciated.

    I support several clients using a variety of different ISPs for ADSL.
    In terms of reliability and minimal problems I'd be looking at Maxnet.
    They don't even offer tolls so that can be removed from the equation
    immediately, their helpdesk is better than average, and bandwidth seems
    to be better than average.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Aug 28, 2006
  6. On 28 Aug 2006 14:28:09 -0700, "Brendon" <> wrote:

    >OK, or just OK? Whats the rough amount of downtime you get with
    >Slingshot? (per month).

    I have had no downtime with Slingshot

    Patrick
    Patrick FitzGerald, Aug 29, 2006
  7. Brendon

    Brendon Guest

    EMB wrote:

    > Brendon wrote:
    > >
    > > Anyway, who votes for which - Ihug or Slingshot? I have been an ihug dial-up
    > > customer for 9 years, and they won't waive the conn. fee....so am leaning
    > > towards Slingshot - seems a nicer bunch IMO..your thoughts appreciated.

    > I support several clients using a variety of different ISPs for ADSL.
    > In terms of reliability and minimal problems I'd be looking at Maxnet.
    > They don't even offer tolls so that can be removed from the equation
    > immediately, their helpdesk is better than average, and bandwidth seems
    > to be better than average.
    >
    > --
    > EMB

    Thanks EMB - but their pricing is a little steep, compared to
    Slingshot, and they want a 12month contract - I expressly do not want
    to sign up for this long. Thanks anyway.
    Brendon
    Brendon, Aug 29, 2006
  8. On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 06:30:52 +1200, Brendon wrote:

    > Any ideas? Looking at getting broadband hooked up, don't want to go onto a
    > 12 or even 18month contract with anyone - so looks like these two are the
    > main players in the market. Looking at spending $40 a month max, and don't
    > mind putting tolls through the same company to get the chaper rate
    > broadband. Though not interested in other scams out there that you 'must'
    > spend a minimum amount on tolls to get the reduced broadband - thats
    > rubbish.
    >
    > Anyway, who votes for which - Ihug or Slingshot? I have been an ihug dial-up
    > customer for 9 years, and they won't waive the conn. fee....so am leaning
    > towards Slingshot - seems a nicer bunch IMO..your thoughts appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Brendon

    Have you looked at xnet.co.nz ? $42.95 a month for 2Mb with a 10GB cap and
    no toll requirement.
    John A Ferguson, Aug 29, 2006
  9. Brendon

    ~misfit~ Guest

    John A Ferguson wrote:
    > Have you looked at xnet.co.nz ? $42.95 a month for 2Mb with a 10GB
    > cap and no toll requirement.

    Does anyone have first-hand experience of them?
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Aug 29, 2006
  10. Brendon

    juicyjuice Guest

    Been with both Ihug and Slingshot
    Ihug are slow, sometimes as slow as dialup to international sites depending
    on the day or week, they blame telecom all the way to the bank, but then
    changed to Slingshot and no problems at all.
    Oh and Ihug have at least one outage or more a week, mostly not noted on
    their status page, or removed very quickly to keep it looking nice and green
    =)

    I would stay away from Ihug, also considering their owners don't even want
    the company anymore!

    juicyjuice, Aug 29, 2006
  11. Brendon

    Vista Guest

    This link may answer your question, although they are blaming it on telecom.

    http://www.slingshot.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=20&subnav=2&NSMServiceTypeID=2

    Vista, Aug 29, 2006
  12. Brendon

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 16:23:26 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > John A Ferguson wrote:
    >> Have you looked at xnet.co.nz ? $42.95 a month for 2Mb with a 10GB
    >> cap and no toll requirement.

    > Does anyone have first-hand experience of them?

    Limited, switched over to them within the last month. Working fine. No
    hassles.
    Gordon, Aug 29, 2006
  13. Brendon

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 16:23:26 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    > > John A Ferguson wrote:
    > > > Have you looked at xnet.co.nz ? $42.95 a month for 2Mb with a 10GB
    > > > cap and no toll requirement.

    > > Does anyone have first-hand experience of them?

    > Limited, switched over to them within the last month. Working fine. No
    > hassles.

    Thanks. It'd be nice if you give us a spot-report in a few months. :)
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Aug 29, 2006
  14. On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 00:19:51 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Gordon wrote:

    >>> Does anyone have first-hand experience of them?

    >> Limited, switched over to them within the last month. Working fine. No
    >> hassles.

    > Thanks. It'd be nice if you give us a spot-report in a few months. :)

    I'm in the same boat as Gordon, switched over in the last few weeks. No
    hassles so far. Getting better pings to NZ and Aussie COD2 servers as well
    :)
    John A Ferguson, Aug 29, 2006
  15. Brendon

    ~misfit~ Guest

    John A Ferguson wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 00:19:51 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    > > Gordon wrote:

    > > > Limited, switched over to them within the last month. Working
    > > > fine. No hassles.

    > > Thanks. It'd be nice if you give us a spot-report in a few months.
    > > :)

    > I'm in the same boat as Gordon, switched over in the last few weeks.
    > No hassles so far. Getting better pings to NZ and Aussie COD2 servers
    > as well :)

    Excellent! Starting to sound good then. Please, keep us informed.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Aug 30, 2006
  16. Brendon

    Vista Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > John A Ferguson wrote:
    >> Have you looked at xnet.co.nz ? $42.95 a month for 2Mb with a 10GB
    >> cap and no toll requirement.

    > Does anyone have first-hand experience of them?
    > --
    > Shaun.

    I've been using them for about 3 months. The first month I had about 12
    hours of downtime, however since then it has been working ok. Before that I
    was one of their dial up customers for about 3 years.
    Vista, Aug 30, 2006
  17. Brendon

    Gerry Bilda Guest

    wrote:

    >Any ideas? Looking at getting broadband hooked up, don't want to go onto a
    >12 or even 18month contract with anyone - so looks like these two are the
    >main players in the market. Looking at spending $40 a month max, and don't
    >mind putting tolls through the same company to get the chaper rate
    >broadband. Though not interested in other scams out there that you 'must'
    >spend a minimum amount on tolls to get the reduced broadband - thats
    >rubbish.
    >
    >Anyway, who votes for which - Ihug or Slingshot? I have been an ihug dial-up
    >customer for 9 years, and they won't waive the conn. fee....so am leaning
    >towards Slingshot - seems a nicer bunch IMO..your thoughts appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Brendon

    Copy of email to slingshot feedback

    Initially we were cold called and offered a slingshot toll service.
    My wife signed up for this even though she did not have signing rights
    to my telecom account.
    Then we were rung up by someone who had a foreign accent on a very bad
    line offering broadband.
    I initially said yes.Then I said hold on we are moving house very
    soon.
    I asked if there would be a fee to relocate.I was told not to worry
    about it.
    The telemarketer could not assure me that a shift wou;ld not cost so I
    said I will
    sign up on the internet when I was relocated.
    So many calls later that it could be classed as harrassment to
    my wife she said definately not.No broadband .No way.
    A month later a modem arrived
    My wife rung upSlingshot and said what is this modem for.
    When she told them that we did not want broadband she was told to send
    the modem back.
    She did .
    Then the broadband charges started.
    Wife rung up accounts.
    Dont worry they said we will sort it out.
    She assumed it was sorted until we tried to ring a toll call.
    Account blocked No tolls
    After 4 days and hours of calls it was sorted out.
    Now this month the same thing again.
    No toll access.

    Annette likes TV and Internet exposure.
    Sort it out or Fair Go and all New Zealand newsgroups will get the
    facts.
    Gerry Bilda, Aug 30, 2006
  18. Brendon

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Gerry Bilda" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 06:30:52 +1200, "Brendon" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Any ideas? Looking at getting broadband hooked up, don't want to go onto a
    >>12 or even 18month contract with anyone - so looks like these two are the
    >>main players in the market. Looking at spending $40 a month max, and don't
    >>mind putting tolls through the same company to get the chaper rate
    >>broadband. Though not interested in other scams out there that you 'must'
    >>spend a minimum amount on tolls to get the reduced broadband - thats
    >>rubbish.
    >>
    >>Anyway, who votes for which - Ihug or Slingshot? I have been an ihug
    >>dial-up
    >>customer for 9 years, and they won't waive the conn. fee....so am leaning
    >>towards Slingshot - seems a nicer bunch IMO..your thoughts appreciated.
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>Brendon
    >>

    > Copy of email to slingshot feedback
    >
    > Initially we were cold called and offered a slingshot toll service.
    > My wife signed up for this even though she did not have signing rights
    > to my telecom account.
    > Then we were rung up by someone who had a foreign accent on a very bad
    > line offering broadband.
    > I initially said yes.Then I said hold on we are moving house very
    > soon.
    > I asked if there would be a fee to relocate.I was told not to worry
    > about it.
    > The telemarketer could not assure me that a shift wou;ld not cost so I
    > said I will
    > sign up on the internet when I was relocated.
    > So many calls later that it could be classed as harrassment to
    > my wife she said definately not.No broadband .No way.
    > A month later a modem arrived
    > My wife rung upSlingshot and said what is this modem for.
    > When she told them that we did not want broadband she was told to send
    > the modem back.
    > She did .
    > Then the broadband charges started.
    > Wife rung up accounts.
    > Dont worry they said we will sort it out.
    > She assumed it was sorted until we tried to ring a toll call.
    > Account blocked No tolls
    > After 4 days and hours of calls it was sorted out.
    > Now this month the same thing again.
    > No toll access.
    >

    > Annette likes TV and Internet exposure.
    > Sort it out or Fair Go and all New Zealand newsgroups will get the
    > facts.

    No point in emailing the Queen of Telephone Spam, you'll never get a reply
    back from the Slingshot Team. What you will get is an auto response email
    right away thanking you for your email.

    Great when one's own ISP gets a damn idiot from Slingshot to ring you up at
    6:00pm to try to sell a toll call service - any push for other services
    could've been done by email. Slingshot have the email addresses to their
    own customers, and the odd email isn't going to waste time like pissing
    round with a phone call at 6:00pm does especially when a genuine phone call
    could be trying to get through. Had the Telephone spam twice from Slingshot
    first time was an Indian on a bad line that could've been calling from India
    for all I knew. When he couldn't sell me Tolls the fool tried to sell me a
    Slingshot Internet account LOL. No reply back Slingshot about that idiot
    either.

    Just watch TV1 tomorrow night. There isn't enough money to buy a bit of
    refinemnet for AP of Slingshot. She will show herself up big time.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Aug 30, 2006
  19. Brendon

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <ecvcnc$rsm$>, says...
    > Any ideas? Looking at getting broadband hooked up, don't want to go onto a
    > 12 or even 18month contract with anyone - so looks like these two are the
    > main players in the market. Looking at spending $40 a month max, and don't
    > mind putting tolls through the same company to get the chaper rate
    > broadband. Though not interested in other scams out there that you 'must'
    > spend a minimum amount on tolls to get the reduced broadband - thats
    > rubbish.
    >
    > Anyway, who votes for which - Ihug or Slingshot? I have been an ihug dial-up
    > customer for 9 years, and they won't waive the conn. fee....so am leaning
    > towards Slingshot - seems a nicer bunch IMO..your thoughts appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Brendon

    Slingshot. Been with them a few months and can only say it's been great.
    Got tolls with them but no minimum spend. Signed up for a year and got
    good router discounted to $40. Also got italk free for a year. Once
    naked broadband arrives I will can telecom landline completely and use
    italk. I have a local free call number assigned to me for ppl to ring in
    so bye bye telescum.

    Another thing that swayed me was the price of additional bandwith. You
    can add on fly. Today I added 30gig for $25 for rest of this month. Damn
    bittornts :) Also like to support the little guy battling away to change
    status quo in telecoms etc.

    Looked at the no contract option too but free italk and 40 buck modem
    swayed me.

    Sometimes get odd dropouts but it will be fixed by 7th month according
    to their website. Helpdesk is OK and answered quickly.

    All in all very happy and have recommended them to family and friends
    (get 10 bucks for recommending new customers LOL)
    --

    See Ya

    bAZZ .. >>
    If you try me, you'll buy me