    that prevents me from browsing websites.

    Can anyone recommend a good dialup ISP (can't get broadband where I am), as
    I am not putting up with this kind of tactic.
    maz, Apr 23, 2005

  2. maz

    Jay Guest

    "maz" <mazz****@slingshot.co.nz> wrote in message
    news:1114234745.555967@ftpsrv1...
    > Just noticed today, when browsing the internet, for no reason whatsoever,
    > was redirected to a Slingshot advertising page, similar to this
    > http://www.slingshot.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=999&tabid=100&SubNav=15&name=Broadband. ,
    > advertising their broadband services. At the bottom of the advertising,
    > it
    > had a link to the page I was trying to visit.
    >
    > I think this is pretty poor, as I am paying for a service, and I don't
    > expect them to be interrupting my web browsing by displaying advertising
    > that prevents me from browsing websites.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a good dialup ISP (can't get broadband where I am),
    > as
    > I am not putting up with this kind of tactic.

    Xtra
    Jay, Apr 23, 2005

  3. maz

    steve Guest

    Jay wrote:

    >>Can anyone recommend a good dialup ISP (can't get broadband where I am),
    >>as
    >>I am not putting up with this kind of tactic.

    > Xtra

    Have they solved the missing e-mail problem?
    steve, Apr 23, 2005
  4. maz

    XPD Guest

    "maz" <mazz****@slingshot.co.nz> wrote in message
    > Just noticed today, when browsing the internet, for no reason whatsoever,

    > was redirected to a Slingshot advertising page, similar to this

    http://www.slingshot.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=999&tabid=100&SubNav=15&name=Broadband. ,
    > advertising their broadband services. At the bottom of the advertising,

    it
    > had a link to the page I was trying to visit.
    >
    > I think this is pretty poor, as I am paying for a service, and I don't
    > expect them to be interrupting my web browsing by displaying advertising
    > that prevents me from browsing websites.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a good dialup ISP (can't get broadband where I am),

    as
    > I am not putting up with this kind of tactic.

    Quicksilver
    www.qsi.net.nz
    XPD, Apr 24, 2005
  5. maz

    koopsta Guest

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 17:42:25 +1200, maz wrote:

    > Just noticed today, when browsing the internet, for no reason whatsoever, I
    > was redirected to a Slingshot advertising page, similar to this
    > http://www.slingshot.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=999&tabid=100&SubNav=15&name=Broadband. ,
    > advertising their broadband services. At the bottom of the advertising, it
    > had a link to the page I was trying to visit.
    >
    > I think this is pretty poor, as I am paying for a service, and I don't
    > expect them to be interrupting my web browsing by displaying advertising
    > that prevents me from browsing websites.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a good dialup ISP (can't get broadband where I am), as
    > I am not putting up with this kind of tactic.

    Dreamnet. (yes, they go through orcon. but they've always been good to me.)
    www.dreamnet.co.nz
    koopsta, Apr 24, 2005
  6. maz

    Alan Guest

    "maz" <mazz****@slingshot.co.nz> wrote
    in message news:1114234745.555967@ftpsrv1...

    > Can anyone recommend a good dialup ISP (can't get broadband where I
    > am), as I am not putting up with this kind of tactic.

    May be a non-starter for you, but I just joined Woosh (avoiding the
    issue of the telephone exchange) and it works great for me so far.

    HTH,

    Alan.
    Alan, Apr 26, 2005
  7. maz

    Alan Guest

    "Alan" <> wrote in message
    > "maz" <mazz****@slingshot.co.nz> wrote
    > in message news:1114234745.555967@ftpsrv1...
    > >
    > > Can anyone recommend a good dialup ISP (can't get broadband where

    > > am), as I am not putting up with this kind of tactic.
    > >

    > May be a non-starter for you, but I just joined Woosh (avoiding the
    > issue of the telephone exchange) and it works great for me so far.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Alan.

    Sorry - you explicitly said you wanted dial-up so ignore the
    suggestion.

    Alan.
    Alan, Apr 26, 2005
  8. maz

    maz Guest

    "Alan" <> wrote in message

    > "Alan" <> wrote in message
    > > "maz" <mazz****@slingshot.co.nz> wrote
    > > in message news:1114234745.555967@ftpsrv1...
    > > >
    > > > Can anyone recommend a good dialup ISP (can't get broadband where

    > > > am), as I am not putting up with this kind of tactic.
    > > >

    > > May be a non-starter for you, but I just joined Woosh (avoiding the
    > > issue of the telephone exchange) and it works great for me so far.
    > >
    > > HTH,
    > >
    > > Alan.
    > >

    > Sorry - you explicitly said you wanted dial-up so ignore the
    > suggestion.
    >
    > Alan.

    Thanks Alan, Actually I am considering Woosh when it finally arrives in my
    area, as it would be great for it portability. At the moment I am just out
    of the coverage area.
    maz, Apr 26, 2005
  9. maz

    Alan Guest

    > Thanks Alan, Actually I am considering Woosh when it finally arrives
    > in my area, as it would be great for it portability. At the moment I
    > am just out of the coverage area.

    Might be worth giving them a call (if you haven't already) and asking
    a human.

    On their website, my address comes up as requiring an antenna to boost
    the signal, but I spoke to one of their support people who looked on a
    map and he said to try it without as it looked to him that I would be
    okay (and only buy the antenna if it proved necessary).

    He proved right, and I get deltas (measure of signal quality -
    essentially the speed you get - don't ask me to explain in more
    detail) of 8 or 9 out of 9 - basically perfect, despite a signal
    strength of only 25% usually.

    I get download rates of around 30kb/s versus dialup of around 5kb/s so
    am happy with that even if it is not as fast as it could be - it does
    for me.

    HTH,

    Alan.
    Alan, Apr 27, 2005