    frederick Guest

    What's wrong with Slingshot's news server?
    Seems to be going down at about 3pm every day

    frederick, Sep 20, 2007

  2. frederick

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 23:25:35 +1200, frederick <> wrote:

    >What's wrong with Slingshot's news server?
    >Seems to be going down at about 3pm every day

    Not just 3pm either. I'm getting fed up with it. It has turned into
    a part-time news server. I couldn;t get on earlier this evening or
    much of Wednesday.

    Now it has hung up again, can't post this as of now, 12.35am. It is
    the IHUG server but there must be something up between Slingshot and
    IHUG.

    Nighthawk, Sep 20, 2007

  3. frederick

    Adam Guest

    iHug newserver has been a serious problem for
    a month or so. Around that time, they lost the
    entire body of news messages.

    Since then, there seems to be none over 1 week
    old. Not sure what's going on. Hoping it is
    going to return to normal - but they've had
    weeks to do this.

    So some email queries to these organizations
    is the next step. Unless there have been
    announcements I've missed.

    In the meantime, can anyone advise which ISPs
    in NZ are competent with USENET ?

    Adam, Sep 20, 2007
  4. frederick

    EMB Guest

    Adam wrote:
    > iHug newserver has been a serious problem for
    > a month or so. Around that time, they lost the
    > entire body of news messages.
    >
    > Since then, there seems to be none over 1 week
    > old. Not sure what's going on. Hoping it is
    > going to return to normal - but they've had
    > weeks to do this.

    They have probably set the retention time to a week.

    > So some email queries to these organizations
    > is the next step. Unless there have been
    > announcements I've missed.
    >
    > In the meantime, can anyone advise which ISPs
    > in NZ are competent with USENET ?

    Xnet.

    EMB, Sep 20, 2007
  5. frederick

    frederick Guest

    Nighthawk wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 23:25:35 +1200, frederick <> wrote:
    >
    >> What's wrong with Slingshot's news server?
    >> Seems to be going down at about 3pm every day

    > Not just 3pm either. I'm getting fed up with it. It has turned into
    > a part-time news server. I couldn;t get on earlier this evening or
    > much of Wednesday.
    >
    > Now it has hung up again, can't post this as of now, 12.35am. It is
    > the IHUG server but there must be something up between Slingshot and
    > IHUG.

    It's borked again now.
    A couple of times, Thunderbird's crashed after not being
    able to establish a connection, coming up with a message
    screen stating:
    XML Parsing Error: no element found
    Location:
    jar:file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Thunderbird/chrome/toolkit.jar!/content/global/netError.xhtml
    Line Number 1, Column 1:

    frederick, Sep 21, 2007
  6. frederick

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 16:50:23 +1200, frederick <> wrote:

    >Nighthawk wrote:
    >> On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 23:25:35 +1200, frederick <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> What's wrong with Slingshot's news server?
    >>> Seems to be going down at about 3pm every day

    >> Not just 3pm either. I'm getting fed up with it. It has turned into
    >> a part-time news server. I couldn;t get on earlier this evening or
    >> much of Wednesday.
    >>
    >> Now it has hung up again, can't post this as of now, 12.35am. It is
    >> the IHUG server but there must be something up between Slingshot and
    >> IHUG.
    >>

    >It's borked again now.
    >A couple of times, Thunderbird's crashed after not being
    >able to establish a connection, coming up with a message
    >screen stating:
    >XML Parsing Error: no element found
    >Location:
    >jar:file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Thunderbird/chrome/toolkit.jar!/content/global/netError.xhtml
    >Line Number 1, Column 1:

    I couldn't get on every time I tried all Friday evening until now,
    3am.

    Nighthawk, Sep 21, 2007
  7. frederick

    neutrino Guest

    frederick wrote:
    > Nighthawk wrote:
    > > On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 23:25:35 +1200, frederick <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> What's wrong with Slingshot's news server?
    > >> Seems to be going down at about 3pm every day

    > > Not just 3pm either. I'm getting fed up with it. It has turned into
    > > a part-time news server. I couldn;t get on earlier this evening or
    > > much of Wednesday.
    > >
    > > Now it has hung up again, can't post this as of now, 12.35am. It is
    > > the IHUG server but there must be something up between Slingshot and
    > > IHUG.

    I'v only ever accessed these newsgroups via google -
    http://groups.google.com/group/nz.comp/topics and many many others,

    never any problems, are there any drawbacks? disadvantages? as
    apposed to access via a newsserver - ?? is this what you use via
    Outlook Express??

    neutrino, Sep 21, 2007
  8. In message <>, neutrino
    wrote:

    > I'v only ever accessed these newsgroups via google ...
    > never any problems, are there any drawbacks? disadvantages?

    Well, apart from people responding to quotes that read "- show quoted
    text -" ...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 21, 2007
  9. frederick

    frederick Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, neutrino
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I'v only ever accessed these newsgroups via google ...
    >> never any problems, are there any drawbacks? disadvantages?

    > Well, apart from people responding to quotes that read "- show quoted
    > text -" ...

    ....continued

    Yes - using a newsreader client software that allows you to
    follow threads, sort in date/time order, apply filters etc
    makes a big difference compared with google groups web
    interface.
    Alas, usenet seems to be dying. Bugger it.

    frederick, Sep 22, 2007
  10. frederick

    Peter Guest

    Nighthawk wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 23:25:35 +1200, frederick <> wrote:
    >>What's wrong with Slingshot's news server?
    >>Seems to be going down at about 3pm every day

    > Not just 3pm either. I'm getting fed up with it. It has turned into
    > a part-time news server. I couldn;t get on earlier this evening or
    > much of Wednesday.

    It was down for most of Saturday.
    I rang 0800 and the helpdesk guy seemed a bit doubtful that there was any
    problem, because the network support update didn't say there was a problem.
    Anyway, he got me to do a traceroute and forward that so he could show the
    network support section. Apparently tech support is only available Monday
    to Friday.
    So maybe they will get to look at it this week?

    Peter

    Peter, Sep 23, 2007
  11. On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 11:34:46 +1200, Peter <>
    wrote:

    >It was down for most of Saturday.
    >I rang 0800 and the helpdesk guy seemed a bit doubtful that there was any
    >problem, because the network support update didn't say there was a problem.
    >Anyway, he got me to do a traceroute and forward that so he could show the
    >network support section. Apparently tech support is only available Monday
    >to Friday.

    I rang the help desk on Saturday about this.

    The first people I encountered did not even know about newsgroups .

    When I was able to persuade one of them that I knew what I was
    talking about he passed me on to someone else who put me through the
    *ping* routine.

    Patrick

    Patrick FitzGerald, Sep 23, 2007
  12. frederick

    Murray Symon Guest

    Patrick FitzGerald wrote:

    > On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 11:34:46 +1200, Peter <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>It was down for most of Saturday.
    >>I rang 0800 and the helpdesk guy seemed a bit doubtful that there was any
    >>problem, because the network support update didn't say there was a
    >>problem. Anyway, he got me to do a traceroute and forward that so he could
    >>show the
    >>network support section. Apparently tech support is only available Monday
    >>to Friday.

    > I rang the help desk on Saturday about this.
    >
    > The first people I encountered did not even know about newsgroups .
    >
    > When I was able to persuade one of them that I knew what I was
    > talking about he passed me on to someone else who put me through the
    > *ping* routine.
    >
    > Patrick

    Because of the nature of the problem 'ping' and 'traceroute' don't prove
    whether or not you can access newsgroups via NNTP. Those 2 programs, by
    default, do not use TCP port 119 (NNTP standard port). My recent
    experience with Slingshot is that I can connect to port 119 on the news
    server but from then on is a high percentage of packet loss. This occurs
    when using other news servers too (e.g. news.jadeworld.com). The ping
    and traceroute will prove that the server is accessible and its TCP
    stack is running, but won't guarantee that you will get good service on
    TCP port 119.
    To me, it looks like there is some sort of traffic control at work.
    Like Peter, I too am waiting for "normal business hours" for Slingshot's
    "complex technical support" to hopefully resolve the issue.

    Murray.

    Murray Symon, Sep 23, 2007