Slingshot free off peak account - any good?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Stephen Worthington, Sep 15, 2008.

  1. I am just looking around at the options for a full speed down / full
    speed up ADSL account, and Slingshot is offering one where you get 15
    GiBytes per month during the day, but completely free from 01:00 to
    07:00. Is anyone out there one of these accounts? Are they any good?
    Is there a catch to the "free" downloads - do they rate limit anything
    (torrents maybe?)?
     
    Stephen Worthington, Sep 15, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 02:23:09 GMT, Stephen Worthington
    <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    <news:p>:

    > I am just looking around at the options for a full speed down / full
    > speed up ADSL account, and Slingshot is offering one where you get 15
    > GiBytes per month during the day, but completely free from 01:00 to
    > 07:00. Is anyone out there one of these accounts? Are they any good?
    > Is there a catch to the "free" downloads - do they rate limit anything
    > (torrents maybe?)?


    Are you aware that XNet have also a free off-peak account available?

    --
    - Nic.
     
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Sep 15, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 14:26:15 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 02:23:09 GMT, Stephen Worthington
    ><34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    ><news:p>:
    >
    >> I am just looking around at the options for a full speed down / full
    >> speed up ADSL account, and Slingshot is offering one where you get 15
    >> GiBytes per month during the day, but completely free from 01:00 to
    >> 07:00. Is anyone out there one of these accounts? Are they any good?
    >> Is there a catch to the "free" downloads - do they rate limit anything
    >> (torrents maybe?)?

    >
    >Are you aware that XNet have also a free off-peak account available?


    Yes, I found Xnet. Their "free" time is not entirely free - it is
    limited to only 75 GiBytes per month. Slingshot's has no limit. And
    Xnet's daytime rate is $1.54 per GiByte. You can buy 50 GiBytes of
    daytime rate at Slingshot for $50, and any unused is rolled over for
    up to a year. So that effectively means you get daytime gigs at
    $1/GiByte. The Xnet base cost is $49.95, $10 cheaper than Slingshot,
    but there is no daytime traffic at all included in that rate.
    Slingshot includes 15 GiBytes in their $59.95 base cost, which easily
    compensates for the difference.

    Slingshot's free download time is 01:00-07:00, and it is easy to
    download 1 Gibyte per hour on a full speed ADSL connection (or I
    should say it is easy at present on Ihug). At my usual connect speed
    of over 4000 Kibit/s, it should be possible to download as much as 1.7
    Gibytes per hour, meaning that in a 30 day month you could potentially
    download 308 GiBytes. That would allow for downloading HD video if I
    want to, which is just too expensive at present.
     
    Stephen Worthington, Sep 15, 2008
    #3
  4. Stephen Worthington

    Richard Guest

    Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 02:23:09 GMT, Stephen Worthington
    > <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    > <news:p>:
    >
    >> I am just looking around at the options for a full speed down / full
    >> speed up ADSL account, and Slingshot is offering one where you get 15
    >> GiBytes per month during the day, but completely free from 01:00 to
    >> 07:00. Is anyone out there one of these accounts? Are they any good?
    >> Is there a catch to the "free" downloads - do they rate limit anything
    >> (torrents maybe?)?

    >
    > Are you aware that XNet have also a free off-peak account available?


    Are you aware that speeds on xnet are shit, and doubly so during the
    free hours? Read the threads on geekzone to see how little they care.
     
    Richard, Sep 15, 2008
    #4
  5. On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 19:20:03 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >> On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 02:23:09 GMT, Stephen Worthington
    >> <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >> <news:p>:
    >>
    >>> I am just looking around at the options for a full speed down / full
    >>> speed up ADSL account, and Slingshot is offering one where you get 15
    >>> GiBytes per month during the day, but completely free from 01:00 to
    >>> 07:00. Is anyone out there one of these accounts? Are they any good?
    >>> Is there a catch to the "free" downloads - do they rate limit anything
    >>> (torrents maybe?)?

    >>
    >> Are you aware that XNet have also a free off-peak account available?

    >
    >Are you aware that speeds on xnet are shit, and doubly so during the
    >free hours? Read the threads on geekzone to see how little they care.


    That is the sort of information I am looking for, thanks. Is there
    anything in the same vein about Slingshot?

    Since Ihug corrected their faulty router programming some time ago
    that was causing packet fragmentation, I have had pretty good download
    speeds most times of the day. The overnight speeds are almost always
    as fast as the ADSL connection allows, and large chunks of the day are
    the same. So what I need to know is if Slingshot does that too, or
    whether the real download speeds are lower than the ADSL speed. And
    upload speeds for that matter.
     
    Stephen Worthington, Sep 15, 2008
    #5
  6. Stephen Worthington

    Richard Guest

    Stephen Worthington wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 19:20:03 +1200, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    >> Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >>> On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 02:23:09 GMT, Stephen Worthington
    >>> <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >>> <news:p>:
    >>>
    >>>> I am just looking around at the options for a full speed down / full
    >>>> speed up ADSL account, and Slingshot is offering one where you get 15
    >>>> GiBytes per month during the day, but completely free from 01:00 to
    >>>> 07:00. Is anyone out there one of these accounts? Are they any good?
    >>>> Is there a catch to the "free" downloads - do they rate limit anything
    >>>> (torrents maybe?)?
    >>> Are you aware that XNet have also a free off-peak account available?

    >> Are you aware that speeds on xnet are shit, and doubly so during the
    >> free hours? Read the threads on geekzone to see how little they care.

    >
    > That is the sort of information I am looking for, thanks. Is there
    > anything in the same vein about Slingshot?
    >
    > Since Ihug corrected their faulty router programming some time ago
    > that was causing packet fragmentation, I have had pretty good download
    > speeds most times of the day. The overnight speeds are almost always
    > as fast as the ADSL connection allows, and large chunks of the day are
    > the same. So what I need to know is if Slingshot does that too, or
    > whether the real download speeds are lower than the ADSL speed. And
    > upload speeds for that matter.


    I dont get free offpeak or databanking because they treat their naked
    dsl customers like crap at slingshot, but its still a hell of a lot
    better then a connection which cant even play youtube at times which is
    what xnet deliver.

    I dont know if there is any seperation between customers with and
    without free offpeak on slingshot, so the fact that I have a quite
    usable connection giving me 2 http transfers at 60k/sec international
    and about another 80-90k coming in on bittorrent may mean nothing to you
    if they do provision the free offpeak plans seperatly.

    xnet do not, which is the source of lots of complaints on geekzone at
    the moment.
     
    Richard, Sep 15, 2008
    #6
  7. Stephen Worthington

    Simon B Guest

    joe_090 wrote:
    > Stephen Worthington wrote:
    > Well they've just dumped their news server, which might be an
    > influencing factor.


    They dumped it without ceremony. I found out 2 weeks before they
    announced it formally, because I could no longer connect.

    Usenet is a great source of information. I will continue to use it, but
    it feels weird not getting it through my ISP any more.

    Most people who started using the Internet within the last 8 years don't
    even know what Usenet is. Sigh.

    Simon B.
     
    Simon B, Sep 15, 2008
    #7
  8. Stephen Worthington

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-09-15, Simon B <> wrote:
    > joe_090 wrote:
    >> Stephen Worthington wrote:
    >> Well they've just dumped their news server, which might be an
    >> influencing factor.

    >
    > They dumped it without ceremony. I found out 2 weeks before they
    > announced it formally, because I could no longer connect.
    >
    > Usenet is a great source of information. I will continue to use it, but
    > it feels weird not getting it through my ISP any more.


    You'll get over it. I consider my ISP to be nothing more than a connection
    to the Internet. A naked connection so to speak ;-)

    >
    > Most people who started using the Internet within the last 8 years don't
    > even know what Usenet is. Sigh.
    >

    Indeed. ASCII, just plain old boring print. However the knowledge and
    infomation and ideas within it are as powerful as ever.

    Usenet, has become a niche service. Ironical in some ways, in others it is
    just how things develop.

    I hope to see the day when Usenet once again is the new trend. These things
    go in cycles.
     
    Gordon, Sep 16, 2008
    #8
  9. Stephen Worthington

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-09-15, Puddle <> wrote:
    > Simon B wrote:
    >> joe_090 wrote:
    >>> Stephen Worthington wrote:
    >>> Well they've just dumped their news server, which might be an
    >>> influencing factor.

    >>
    >> They dumped it without ceremony. I found out 2 weeks before they
    >> announced it formally, because I could no longer connect.
    >>
    >> Usenet is a great source of information. I will continue to use it, but
    >> it feels weird not getting it through my ISP any more.
    >>
    >> Most people who started using the Internet within the last 8 years don't
    >> even know what Usenet is. Sigh.
    >>
    >> Simon B.

    >
    > The only area usenet is increasing in is piracy due to the fast
    > downloads and being relatively safe compared to p2p where your IP can be
    > easily monitored.


    Do not put p2p in the illegal downloading basket. the two are different
    species.

    >
    > web forums took over a long time ago and continue to gain in popularity
    > while usenet is rapidly being dropped by ISP's because no one uses it.
    >
    > Nothing to be sad about, things change... :)


    A web forum is like a penguin on land, slow and alot of waddling. Usenet is
    like a penguin in the water, fast and very moverable.

    The irony to me is that a web forum should allow one to slice to the thing
    one is after quickly
     
    Gordon, Sep 16, 2008
    #9
  10. Stephen Worthington

    Richard Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Stephen Worthington wrote:
    >> On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 19:20:03 +1200, Richard <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >>>> On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 02:23:09 GMT, Stephen Worthington
    >>>> <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >>>> <news:p>:
    >>>>
    >>>>> I am just looking around at the options for a full speed down / full
    >>>>> speed up ADSL account, and Slingshot is offering one where you get 15
    >>>>> GiBytes per month during the day, but completely free from 01:00 to
    >>>>> 07:00. Is anyone out there one of these accounts? Are they any good?
    >>>>> Is there a catch to the "free" downloads - do they rate limit anything
    >>>>> (torrents maybe?)?
    >>>> Are you aware that XNet have also a free off-peak account available?
    >>> Are you aware that speeds on xnet are shit, and doubly so during the
    >>> free hours? Read the threads on geekzone to see how little they care.

    >>
    >> That is the sort of information I am looking for, thanks. Is there
    >> anything in the same vein about Slingshot?
    >>
    >> Since Ihug corrected their faulty router programming some time ago
    >> that was causing packet fragmentation, I have had pretty good download
    >> speeds most times of the day. The overnight speeds are almost always
    >> as fast as the ADSL connection allows, and large chunks of the day are
    >> the same. So what I need to know is if Slingshot does that too, or
    >> whether the real download speeds are lower than the ADSL speed. And
    >> upload speeds for that matter.

    >
    > I dont get free offpeak or databanking because they treat their naked
    > dsl customers like crap at slingshot, but its still a hell of a lot
    > better then a connection which cant even play youtube at times which is
    > what xnet deliver.
    >
    > I dont know if there is any seperation between customers with and
    > without free offpeak on slingshot, so the fact that I have a quite
    > usable connection giving me 2 http transfers at 60k/sec international
    > and about another 80-90k coming in on bittorrent may mean nothing to you
    > if they do provision the free offpeak plans seperatly.
    >
    > xnet do not, which is the source of lots of complaints on geekzone at
    > the moment.


    Change that answer.

    Now I have a adsl 2 router and higher sync speeds, I have seen whats
    really going on. When I connect, I will get good speeds for 2-3 mins,
    then it throttles back heaps. So the overall speed is just as bad as
    before despite the extra 1.6 megabit sync speed.

    If I drop and reconnect the PPP its good for a few mins.. Grrrr
     
    Richard, Sep 18, 2008
    #10
  11. On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 19:02:53 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >Richard wrote:
    >> Stephen Worthington wrote:
    >>> On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 19:20:03 +1200, Richard <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >>>>> On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 02:23:09 GMT, Stephen Worthington
    >>>>> <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >>>>> <news:p>:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> I am just looking around at the options for a full speed down / full
    >>>>>> speed up ADSL account, and Slingshot is offering one where you get 15
    >>>>>> GiBytes per month during the day, but completely free from 01:00 to
    >>>>>> 07:00. Is anyone out there one of these accounts? Are they any good?
    >>>>>> Is there a catch to the "free" downloads - do they rate limit anything
    >>>>>> (torrents maybe?)?
    >>>>> Are you aware that XNet have also a free off-peak account available?
    >>>> Are you aware that speeds on xnet are shit, and doubly so during the
    >>>> free hours? Read the threads on geekzone to see how little they care.
    >>>
    >>> That is the sort of information I am looking for, thanks. Is there
    >>> anything in the same vein about Slingshot?
    >>>
    >>> Since Ihug corrected their faulty router programming some time ago
    >>> that was causing packet fragmentation, I have had pretty good download
    >>> speeds most times of the day. The overnight speeds are almost always
    >>> as fast as the ADSL connection allows, and large chunks of the day are
    >>> the same. So what I need to know is if Slingshot does that too, or
    >>> whether the real download speeds are lower than the ADSL speed. And
    >>> upload speeds for that matter.

    >>
    >> I dont get free offpeak or databanking because they treat their naked
    >> dsl customers like crap at slingshot, but its still a hell of a lot
    >> better then a connection which cant even play youtube at times which is
    >> what xnet deliver.
    >>
    >> I dont know if there is any seperation between customers with and
    >> without free offpeak on slingshot, so the fact that I have a quite
    >> usable connection giving me 2 http transfers at 60k/sec international
    >> and about another 80-90k coming in on bittorrent may mean nothing to you
    >> if they do provision the free offpeak plans seperatly.
    >>
    >> xnet do not, which is the source of lots of complaints on geekzone at
    >> the moment.

    >
    >Change that answer.
    >
    >Now I have a adsl 2 router and higher sync speeds, I have seen whats
    >really going on. When I connect, I will get good speeds for 2-3 mins,
    >then it throttles back heaps. So the overall speed is just as bad as
    >before despite the extra 1.6 megabit sync speed.
    >
    >If I drop and reconnect the PPP its good for a few mins.. Grrrr


    That sounds deliberate. There are routers that have a feature like
    that, to allow web pages to load fast, but to throttle large
    downloads. You might find that web browsing is still fast, even with
    a throttled download happening. If it is, and their advertising leads
    you to believe that you will get the full speed of your ADSL
    connection, then they are probably violating the Fair Trading Act.
     
    Stephen Worthington, Sep 18, 2008
    #11
  12. Stephen Worthington

    Richard Guest

    Stephen Worthington wrote:

    >> If I drop and reconnect the PPP its good for a few mins.. Grrrr

    >
    > That sounds deliberate. There are routers that have a feature like
    > that, to allow web pages to load fast, but to throttle large
    > downloads. You might find that web browsing is still fast, even with
    > a throttled download happening. If it is, and their advertising leads
    > you to believe that you will get the full speed of your ADSL
    > connection, then they are probably violating the Fair Trading Act.


    Nahh, browsings not even happening properly. threads on forums with
    loads of pictures are timing out before they are all loaded and I am
    only putting 100kB/sec thru the connection

    Had no PPP for a while earlier and after it came back it was worse.

    And all while this is happening I have good pings to my auckland webhost.
     
    Richard, Sep 18, 2008
    #12
  13. Stephen Worthington

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-09-18, Richard <> wrote:
    > Stephen Worthington wrote:
    >
    >>> If I drop and reconnect the PPP its good for a few mins.. Grrrr

    >>
    >> That sounds deliberate. There are routers that have a feature like
    >> that, to allow web pages to load fast, but to throttle large
    >> downloads. You might find that web browsing is still fast, even with
    >> a throttled download happening. If it is, and their advertising leads
    >> you to believe that you will get the full speed of your ADSL
    >> connection, then they are probably violating the Fair Trading Act.

    >
    > Nahh, browsings not even happening properly. threads on forums with
    > loads of pictures are timing out before they are all loaded and I am
    > only putting 100kB/sec thru the connection


    Try 50KB

    >
    > Had no PPP for a while earlier and after it came back it was worse.
    >
    > And all while this is happening I have good pings to my auckland webhost.
     
    Gordon, Sep 19, 2008
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Silverstrand

    "SilverStone Sneak Peak: New Cases at C3" at XYZ C

    Silverstrand, Jun 29, 2005, in forum: Front Page News
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    850
    Silverstrand
    Jun 29, 2005
  2. Silverstrand
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    773
    Silverstrand
    Jul 6, 2005
  3. Folklore

    Film Scanners - About reached their peak ?

    Folklore, Sep 30, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    37
    Views:
    877
    Philip Homburg
    Oct 3, 2003
  4. jpc

    peak to peak vs rms noise in images.

    jpc, Apr 1, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    24
    Views:
    9,302
  5. Networking Student
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,365
    vreyesii
    Nov 16, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page