    E. Scrooge Guest

    Anyone else having problems with Slingshot email?

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, May 6, 2004

  2. E. Scrooge

    zed Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:

    > Anyone else having problems with Slingshot email?
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Yes - They seem to have a problem.

    Set test message to myself:

    "The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was
    rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was '*my valid email
    address*'. Subject 'test', Account: 'pop3.slingshot.co.nz', Server:
    'smtp.slingshot.co.nz', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 unknown
    user', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number:
    0x800CCC79"

    Have sent a message (to myself) through another ISP, and have received
    an odd "bounce":

    "The original message was received at Fri, 7 May 2004 09:30:54 +1200
    from games04.livewire.co.nz [203.97.104.29] (may be forged)

    <xxxx - my email address - xxxx>
    (reason: 550 unknown user)

    zed, May 6, 2004

  3. zed wrote:
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone else having problems with Slingshot email?
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge
    >>

    > Yes - They seem to have a problem.
    >
    > Set test message to myself:
    >
    > "The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was
    > rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was '*my valid email
    > address*'. Subject 'test', Account: 'pop3.slingshot.co.nz', Server:
    > 'smtp.slingshot.co.nz', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 unknown
    > user', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number:
    > 0x800CCC79"
    >
    > Have sent a message (to myself) through another ISP, and have received
    > an odd "bounce":
    >
    > "The original message was received at Fri, 7 May 2004 09:30:54 +1200
    > from games04.livewire.co.nz [203.97.104.29] (may be forged)
    >
    > ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
    > <xxxx - my email address - xxxx>
    > (reason: 550 unknown user)

    Hey Zed,

    I'm a sysadmin at slingshot and I have just been having a look through
    the logs as your post alarmed me some what!!

    What I saw was that the email you sent was to ,
    which is an invalid address, it's slingshot.CO.nz.

    If thats not your email address let know so I can have another look at it.

    Cheers,
    Stephen Miles
    System admin type fellow
    Slingshot'

    Stephen Miles, May 6, 2004
  4. E. Scrooge

    zed Guest

    Stephen Miles wrote:
    > zed wrote:
    >
    >> E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anyone else having problems with Slingshot email?
    >>>
    >>> E. Scrooge
    >>>

    >> Yes - They seem to have a problem.
    >>
    >> Set test message to myself:
    >>
    >> "The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was
    >> rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was '*my valid
    >> email address*'. Subject 'test', Account: 'pop3.slingshot.co.nz',
    >> Server: 'smtp.slingshot.co.nz', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550
    >> unknown user', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error
    >> Number: 0x800CCC79"
    >>
    >> Have sent a message (to myself) through another ISP, and have received
    >> an odd "bounce":
    >>
    >> "The original message was received at Fri, 7 May 2004 09:30:54 +1200
    >> from games04.livewire.co.nz [203.97.104.29] (may be forged)
    >>
    >> ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
    >> <xxxx - my email address - xxxx>
    >> (reason: 550 unknown user)
    >>

    > Hey Zed,
    >
    > I'm a sysadmin at slingshot and I have just been having a look through
    > the logs as your post alarmed me some what!!
    >
    > What I saw was that the email you sent was to ,
    > which is an invalid address, it's slingshot.CO.nz.
    >
    > If thats not your email address let know so I can have another look at it.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Stephen Miles
    > System admin type fellow
    > Slingshot'

    Goodness - you are correct. :) Stupid me!
    I must put myself in my address book.
    My other ISP is .net.nz ! They are *&%$ hopeless!
    I have had no problems with Slingshot - when I have used the account
    over the past couple of months I cannot recall ever not getting a
    connection first time, getting slow connections, or getting bumped off.
    Fantastic service.

    zed, May 7, 2004
  5. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "zed" <> wrote in message
    > Stephen Miles wrote:
    > > zed wrote:

    > >> Yes - They seem to have a problem.
    > >>
    > >> Set test message to myself:
    > >>
    > >> "The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was
    > >> rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was '*my valid
    > >> email address*'. Subject 'test', Account: 'pop3.slingshot.co.nz',
    > >> Server: 'smtp.slingshot.co.nz', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550
    > >> unknown user', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error
    > >> Number: 0x800CCC79"
    > >>
    > >> Have sent a message (to myself) through another ISP, and have received
    > >> an odd "bounce":
    > >>
    > >> "The original message was received at Fri, 7 May 2004 09:30:54 +1200
    > >> from games04.livewire.co.nz [203.97.104.29] (may be forged)
    > >>
    > >> ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
    > >> <xxxx - my email address - xxxx>
    > >> (reason: 550 unknown user)
    > >>

    > > Hey Zed,
    > >
    > > I'm a sysadmin at slingshot and I have just been having a look through
    > > the logs as your post alarmed me some what!!
    > >
    > > What I saw was that the email you sent was to ,
    > > which is an invalid address, it's slingshot.CO.nz.
    > >
    > > If thats not your email address let know so I can have another look at

    it.

    > > Cheers,
    > > Stephen Miles
    > > System admin type fellow
    > > Slingshot'

    > Goodness - you are correct. :) Stupid me!
    > I must put myself in my address book.
    > My other ISP is .net.nz ! They are *&%$ hopeless!
    > I have had no problems with Slingshot - when I have used the account
    > over the past couple of months I cannot recall ever not getting a
    > connection first time, getting slow connections, or getting bumped off.
    > Fantastic service.

    It started out good, then I had heaps of busy signals. Among the worse was
    making about 17 calls to get through. I increased the calling attempts on
    the other PC from 10 up to 20 because of damn number of busy signals.
    Lately it's been a lot better.
    Slingshot not being a large enough company to have their own news service
    instead of Slingshot having to use ihug's news service is a minor thing even
    though it's not as good as a direct news service straight from ihug is.

    At least the email problem has been fixed. A proper working Net status page
    on Slingshot's website would help. The recorded phone message has only
    reported one problem from a few over the last 2 months.
    If there's a big news service outage, just check ihug's Net status page,
    Zed. Usually about 12 hours later ihug will mention something about it and
    an ETA on when it'll be running again.

    It's a positive sign to see someone from Slingshot / Call Plus in this
    newsgroup.
    God (and Col LOL) knows I've said a few good things about Slingshot in
    ihug's restricted newsgroup.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, May 7, 2004