    to send.

    This morning I got a pile dating back as far as Tuesday.

    Anyone know what the issue is? Or experienced a similar problem?

    Libby Mitford, Nov 17, 2006

  2. Libby Mitford

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Libby Mitford" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Slingshot emails have been playing up all week, sometimes refusing even
    > to send.
    >
    > This morning I got a pile dating back as far as Tuesday.
    >
    > Anyone know what the issue is? Or experienced a similar problem?

    Mine's been working fine and that's with up to half a MB on average.
    Might depend on if it's your Hotmail address that's giving problems, in
    which case has very little to do with Slingshot.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Nov 17, 2006

  3. Libby Mitford

    Stu Fleming Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > "Libby Mitford" <> wrote in message
    >> Slingshot emails have been playing up all week, sometimes refusing even
    >> to send.
    >>
    >> This morning I got a pile dating back as far as Tuesday.
    >>
    >> Anyone know what the issue is? Or experienced a similar problem?

    > Mine's been working fine and that's with up to half a MB on average.
    > Might depend on if it's your Hotmail address that's giving problems, in
    > which case has very little to do with Slingshot.

    Seeing network issues from here for DNS and connectivity for Slingshot
    overnight.

    Stu Fleming, Nov 17, 2006
  4. E. Scrooge (*sling) wrote:

    > Might depend on if it's your Hotmail address that's giving problems, in
    > which case has very little to do with Slingshot.

    No, only my Slingshot mail. Playing up all week and as I said, just got
    a pile from Tuesday (and Wednesday) today. Grrrr

    Libby Mitford, Nov 17, 2006
  5. On 17 Nov 2006 10:55:09 -0800, "Libby Mitford"
    <> wrote:

    >Slingshot emails have been playing up all week, sometimes refusing even
    >to send.
    >
    >This morning I got a pile dating back as far as Tuesday.
    >
    >Anyone know what the issue is? Or experienced a similar problem?

    Yep - just got some email today from 3 days ago.

    Jason Clinton, Nov 17, 2006
  6. Libby Mitford

    frederick Guest

    Libby Mitford wrote:
    > Slingshot emails have been playing up all week, sometimes refusing even
    > to send.
    >
    > This morning I got a pile dating back as far as Tuesday.
    >
    > Anyone know what the issue is? Or experienced a similar problem?

    It's been a pain in the neck for a few days.

    On Slingshot network status page:

    "Mail Delays

    We are currently experiencing email issues and some customers will
    notice 24 - 48 hour delays in receiving email.

    No emails have been lost and our engineers are currently working on the
    affected mail servers.

    We expect the problem to be resolved over the weekend and we will keep
    you updated on our progress.

    We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
    Expected to be resolved by: 20/11/2006 9:00:00 a.m."

    frederick, Nov 17, 2006
  7. Libby Mitford

    Chris Lim Guest

    Libby Mitford wrote:
    > Slingshot emails have been playing up all week, sometimes refusing even
    > to send.
    >
    > This morning I got a pile dating back as far as Tuesday.
    >
    > Anyone know what the issue is? Or experienced a similar problem?

    Given all the email problems with local ISP's, I'm puzzled as to why
    people don't just use Yahoo or Gmail. I've been using Yahoo Mail for
    over 10 years without a hitch. Is it the quantity of email that people
    receive that makes the free ones not an option? Or do people prefer an
    email client such as Outlook Express over the web-based interfaces?

    Chris Lim, Nov 17, 2006
  8. Libby Mitford

    Vista Guest

    > Slingshot emails have been playing up all week, sometimes refusing even
    > to send.
    >
    > This morning I got a pile dating back as far as Tuesday.
    >
    > Anyone know what the issue is? Or experienced a similar problem?

    I don't use it, however their ADSL meter seems to be stuffed for the last
    few days, as it is stuck on an old number, so I don't know how much I have
    actually used.

    Vista, Nov 17, 2006
  9. Chris Lim wrote:

    > Given all the email problems with local ISP's, I'm puzzled as to why
    > people don't just use Yahoo or Gmail.

    My other half uses Yahoo mail as well as Slingshot but finds Yahoo
    regularly does not work properly. Slingshot has been much better but
    not this past week.

    I prefer to download my email into my Outlook, but when not at home
    (such as at work or when away nationally or overseas) I use the
    webmail.

    I'd rather be using a newsreader over this clunky web-based Google
    groups but I haven't been able to set one up successfully.

    Libby Mitford, Nov 18, 2006
  10. Libby Mitford

    Chris Lim Guest

    Libby Mitford wrote:
    > My other half uses Yahoo mail as well as Slingshot but finds Yahoo
    > regularly does not work properly. Slingshot has been much better but

    Really? I don't recall any issues, apart from the few months I was with
    Slingshot where I kept getting DNS Lookup errors going to the Yahoo
    Mail website, but that was something to do with Slingshot. What sort of
    issues does he have? Also has he tried the new Beta version of Yahoo
    Mail? It's very nice, looks and feels like a desktop application.

    Chris Lim, Nov 18, 2006
  11. Libby Mitford

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-11-17, Chris Lim <> wrote:
    > Libby Mitford wrote:
    >> Slingshot emails have been playing up all week, sometimes refusing even
    >> to send.
    >>
    >> This morning I got a pile dating back as far as Tuesday.
    >>
    >> Anyone know what the issue is? Or experienced a similar problem?

    > Given all the email problems with local ISP's, I'm puzzled as to why
    > people don't just use Yahoo or Gmail. I've been using Yahoo Mail for
    > over 10 years without a hitch. Is it the quantity of email that people
    > receive that makes the free ones not an option? Or do people prefer an
    > email client such as Outlook Express over the web-based interfaces?

    you can use regular cliens with yahoo or google. I do.
    (i got in on a free deal for POP3 access to yahoo's mail server - I think
    they may have made that a pay service now.
    but google still has free pop3 mail.

    There's even a thing called hotpooer that'll connect a fetch mail from hotmail.

    --

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Nov 18, 2006
  12. Libby Mitford

    Vista Guest

    "Chris Lim" <> wrote in message
    > Libby Mitford wrote:
    >> Slingshot emails have been playing up all week, sometimes refusing even
    >> to send.
    >>
    >> This morning I got a pile dating back as far as Tuesday.
    >>
    >> Anyone know what the issue is? Or experienced a similar problem?

    > Given all the email problems with local ISP's, I'm puzzled as to why
    > people don't just use Yahoo or Gmail. I've been using Yahoo Mail for
    > over 10 years without a hitch. Is it the quantity of email that people
    > receive that makes the free ones not an option? Or do people prefer an
    > email client such as Outlook Express over the web-based interfaces?

    Best to have your own domain based one, which is portable and you can keep
    forever.. I have had problems with yahoo and gmail, just not receiving
    emails through the accounts/

    Vista, Nov 18, 2006
  13. Libby Mitford

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-11-18, jasen <> wrote:

    > There's even a thing called hotpooer that'll connect a fetch mail from hotmail.

    oops :)

    hotpopper

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Nov 18, 2006
  14. Libby Mitford

    Chris Lim Guest

    jasen wrote:
    > you can use regular cliens with yahoo or google. I do.
    > (i got in on a free deal for POP3 access to yahoo's mail server - I think
    > they may have made that a pay service now.
    > but google still has free pop3 mail.

    Oh. In that case why do people use their ISP for email? I would rather
    trust the likes of Yahoo or Google than any of the local bunch, in
    terms of providing a reliable and ongoing service. And I actually
    prefer them storing my emails rather than downloading them onto my PC
    (I'm pretty lazy and don't back things up regularly!).

    Chris Lim, Nov 18, 2006
  15. Libby Mitford

    Vista Guest

    "Chris Lim" <> wrote in message
    > jasen wrote:
    >> you can use regular cliens with yahoo or google. I do.
    >> (i got in on a free deal for POP3 access to yahoo's mail server - I think
    >> they may have made that a pay service now.
    >> but google still has free pop3 mail.

    > Oh. In that case why do people use their ISP for email? I would rather
    > trust the likes of Yahoo or Google than any of the local bunch, in
    > terms of providing a reliable and ongoing service. And I actually
    > prefer them storing my emails rather than downloading them onto my PC
    > (I'm pretty lazy and don't back things up regularly!).

    But what if their harddrives become corrupted, and they can't restore your
    email data. This happened to me once with a free email provider. Because it
    is free they don't have any responsibility, as it is always the users
    responsibility to make sure that you have made backups.

    Vista, Nov 18, 2006
  16. Libby Mitford

    Chris Lim Guest

    Vista wrote:
    > But what if their harddrives become corrupted, and they can't restore your
    > email data. This happened to me once with a free email provider. Because it
    > is free they don't have any responsibility, as it is always the users
    > responsibility to make sure that you have made backups.

    True, and they could go bankrupt or shut up shop at any time, but I
    would put my trust into Yahoo over any local ISP any day. Same with
    their backup strategy. I would be more surprised if Yahoo lost users
    email than if, say, Xtra, iHug, Slingshot, or Orcon did. In recent
    years there have been several incidents where a local ISP has had
    problems with email (mainly delays or spam, nothing catastrophic, but
    still....). In the 10+ years I've been with Yahoo, not once have I had
    any problems.

    But anyway, I don't want to put the mockers on them....

    Chris Lim, Nov 18, 2006
  17. Libby Mitford

    Chris Lim Guest

    jasen wrote:
    > On 2006-11-18, jasen <> wrote:
    >
    > > There's even a thing called hotpooer that'll connect a fetch mail from hotmail.

    > oops :)
    >
    > hotpopper

    Heh, I like hotpooer better :)

    Chris Lim, Nov 18, 2006
  18. Libby Mitford

    Richard Guest

    Vista wrote:

    > But what if their harddrives become corrupted, and they can't restore your
    > email data. This happened to me once with a free email provider. Because it
    > is free they don't have any responsibility, as it is always the users
    > responsibility to make sure that you have made backups.

    Even all the pay providers take no responcibility.

    I figure having copies in the imap cache of all my computers is backup
    enough of the recent mails, old ones I want to keep I copy down onto
    local folders on all the computers

    Richard, Nov 19, 2006
  19. Libby Mitford

    Vista Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Vista wrote:
    >
    >> But what if their harddrives become corrupted, and they can't restore
    >> your email data. This happened to me once with a free email provider.
    >> Because it is free they don't have any responsibility, as it is always
    >> the users responsibility to make sure that you have made backups.

    > Even all the pay providers take no responcibility.
    >
    > I figure having copies in the imap cache of all my computers is backup
    > enough of the recent mails, old ones I want to keep I copy down onto local
    > folders on all the computers

    True, but they do have an incentive to not piss off their customers if they
    lose all the emails, they then don't get paid.

    Vista, Nov 20, 2006
  20. Libby Mitford

    Chris Lim Guest

    Vista wrote:
    > True, but they do have an incentive to not piss off their customers if they
    > lose all the emails, they then don't get paid.

    Don't all companies have an incentive not to piss off their customers?
    Still doesn't stop them from stuffing up, just ask iHug.

    Chris Lim, Nov 20, 2006