Slingshot Email Delays

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by muppet, Jun 29, 2007.

  1. muppet

    muppet Guest

    Has anyone else noticed significant delays in email delivery in the last
    two weeks to Slingshot? It's not every message, but I'm noticing that
    some email is delivered hours (sometimes 7+ hrs) after it was sent from
    other NZ based ISP's. It's strange, because emails sent from the same
    person later than delayed ones are being received earlier, sometimes
    even immediately as you would expect.

    Here's an example of part of the message header with a 5 hour delay. It
    seems to be showing that the email is hanging around in the Slingshot
    Mail System for hours before becoming available for download by the user.

    4.50)

    id 1I1dH3-0004ql-DE

    for ; Fri, 22 Jun 2007 19:09:41 +1200

    by mxsrv1.tranzpeer.net with ESMTP (Exim 4.50)

    id 1I1YTk-0002K7-G3

    for ; Fri, 22 Jun 2007 14:02:29 +1200
    muppet, Jun 29, 2007

  2. muppet

    muppet Guest

    muppet wrote:
    > Has anyone else noticed significant delays in email delivery in the last
    > two weeks to Slingshot? It's not every message, but I'm noticing that
    > some email is delivered hours (sometimes 7+ hrs) after it was sent from
    > other NZ based ISP's. It's strange, because emails sent from the same
    > person later than delayed ones are being received earlier, sometimes
    > even immediately as you would expect.
    >
    > Here's an example of part of the message header with a 5 hour delay. It
    > seems to be showing that the email is hanging around in the Slingshot
    > Mail System for hours before becoming available for download by the user.

    > 4.50)
    >
    > id 1I1dH3-0004ql-DE
    >
    > for ; Fri, 22 Jun 2007 19:09:41 +1200

    > by mxsrv1.tranzpeer.net with ESMTP (Exim 4.50)
    >
    > id 1I1YTk-0002K7-G3
    >
    > for ; Fri, 22 Jun 2007 14:02:29 +1200

    What the? Am I the only Slingshot customer? Does nobody else give a damn
    about their mail arriving several hours late. This has been going on for
    two weeks now. SPEAK UP!
    muppet, Jun 29, 2007

  3. muppet

    Brett Guest

    Hi.

    Yes, I think that you are probably the only Slingshot customer.
    Congratulations! I used Slingshot for about a year but stopped last December
    after finding them to be the least helpful ISP in NZ.

    Good luck :)

    Brett, Jun 30, 2007
  4. muppet

    Peter Guest

    muppet wrote:
    >> Here's an example of part of the message header with a 5 hour delay. It
    >> seems to be showing that the email is hanging around in the Slingshot
    >> Mail System for hours before becoming available for download by the user.

    > What the? Am I the only Slingshot customer? Does nobody else give a damn
    > about their mail arriving several hours late. This has been going on for
    > two weeks now. SPEAK UP!

    We use Slingshot as our ISP, but not for email.
    ADSL connection is v poor quality, but I think it is mostly Telecom's fault.

    Long delay in email delivery is not good. Did Slingshot helpdesk have
    anything to say?

    Peter
    Peter, Jun 30, 2007
  5. muppet

    muppet Guest

    Brett wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > Yes, I think that you are probably the only Slingshot customer.
    > Congratulations! I used Slingshot for about a year but stopped last December
    > after finding them to be the least helpful ISP in NZ.
    >
    > Good luck :)
    >
    > "muppet" <> wrote in message
    >> muppet wrote:
    >>> Has anyone else noticed significant delays in email delivery in the last
    >>> two weeks to Slingshot? It's not every message, but I'm noticing that
    >>> some email is delivered hours (sometimes 7+ hrs) after it was sent from
    >>> other NZ based ISP's. It's strange, because emails sent from the same
    >>> person later than delayed ones are being received earlier, sometimes even
    >>> immediately as you would expect.
    >>>
    >>> Here's an example of part of the message header with a 5 hour delay. It
    >>> seems to be showing that the email is hanging around in the Slingshot
    >>> Mail System for hours before becoming available for download by the user.

    >>> 4.50)
    >>>
    >>> id 1I1dH3-0004ql-DE
    >>>
    >>> for ; Fri, 22 Jun 2007 19:09:41 +1200

    >>> by mxsrv1.tranzpeer.net with ESMTP (Exim 4.50)
    >>>
    >>> id 1I1YTk-0002K7-G3
    >>>
    >>> for ; Fri, 22 Jun 2007 14:02:29 +1200

    >> What the? Am I the only Slingshot customer? Does nobody else give a damn
    >> about their mail arriving several hours late. This has been going on for
    >> two weeks now. SPEAK UP!

    Yes... I can't believe how abysmal Slingshot's customer service is.
    Thanks for the comment... it reaffirms my thoughts about them.
    muppet, Jun 30, 2007
  6. muppet

    muppet Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > muppet wrote:
    >>> Here's an example of part of the message header with a 5 hour delay. It
    >>> seems to be showing that the email is hanging around in the Slingshot
    >>> Mail System for hours before becoming available for download by the user.

    >> What the? Am I the only Slingshot customer? Does nobody else give a damn
    >> about their mail arriving several hours late. This has been going on for
    >> two weeks now. SPEAK UP!

    > We use Slingshot as our ISP, but not for email.
    > ADSL connection is v poor quality, but I think it is mostly Telecom's fault.
    >
    > Long delay in email delivery is not good. Did Slingshot helpdesk have
    > anything to say?
    >

    > Peter

    No. No comment whatsoever at what the fault might be. It seems they must
    have some sort of non disclosure or dishonesty policy.

    By the way, I logged this job at about 9am on Monday. Late Friday
    afternoon, I had to call them back as they hadn't contacted me. I sent
    them three separate message headers to analyse. Someone had entered a
    comment on the job saying they needed more headers and needed to phone
    the customer... but nada. How many headers might they need to work out
    there is actually a real problem here and that it's probably affecting
    multiple customers. I always find I have to phone them back, and always
    seems to be significant delays in dealing with issues whether these
    issues are big or small.

    I don't mind so much about the speed or whatever it is you're referring
    to about when you say it's poor quality. But their customer service is
    the worst I've ever experienced with any ISP and I have been with Clear,
    Xtra and Ihug in the past. I'm very suprised they got voted best ISP
    recently. God only knows how that happened.

    I've had tons of issues with them in the year or so I've now been with
    them (this is not my only current issue with service delivery or poor
    customer service either), and every time I get bad customer service. A
    while back I had issues with my router disconnecting and not
    reconnecting several times a day over a period of several weeks. They
    say they tested their system and there was nothing wrong. They suggested
    it was my equipment. That problem magically disappeared. They close jobs
    without the fault being resolved and don't contact you before doing so.
    Absolute crap! They are cheaper overall I think, but the old saying "you
    get what you pay for" or "pay peanuts, get monkeys" couldn't be more
    true. It's quite interesting to find, that sometimes you'll get someone
    on the phone at slingshot that is a bit more technical, and more willing
    to tell the truth by the way. When you want to escalate and issue,
    you'll find the managers don't want to talk to you either. Especially if
    you're known as a customer that demands to speak out and not keep quiet.
    Oh, and here's another one... can you believe I was told that they can
    only have one open fault per customer? Even if there is an issue
    unrelated to the first they can't (or won't) open another fault for you.
    What kind of crappy fault logging system are they using?

    Anyone else got any more comments about their experience of poor
    customer service or service delivery from Slingshot?
    muppet, Jun 30, 2007
  7. muppet

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 12:02:31 +1200, muppet <> wrote:

    >Yes... I can't believe how abysmal Slingshot's customer service is.
    >Thanks for the comment... it reaffirms my thoughts about them.

    I had sent an e-mail to their accounts about an issue but received an
    e-mail in return with a link to continue through a webpage. This link
    brought me to a page with my e-mail address already in the box and a
    box for my password and a dialogue box. No matter how much I tried it
    wouldn't take my password, claiming it was wrong, cookies enabled.
    That leaves me to go through their awful phone system. It seems they
    won't give any backup via e-mail. You can fax them, but no e-mails!
    So you're doomed to spending ages on the phone waiting for service.
    Nighthawk, Jun 30, 2007
  8. muppet

    muppet Guest

    Nighthawk wrote:
    > On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 12:02:31 +1200, muppet <> wrote:
    >
    >> Yes... I can't believe how abysmal Slingshot's customer service is.
    >> Thanks for the comment... it reaffirms my thoughts about them.

    > I had sent an e-mail to their accounts about an issue but received an
    > e-mail in return with a link to continue through a webpage. This link
    > brought me to a page with my e-mail address already in the box and a
    > box for my password and a dialogue box. No matter how much I tried it
    > wouldn't take my password, claiming it was wrong, cookies enabled.
    > That leaves me to go through their awful phone system. It seems they
    > won't give any backup via e-mail. You can fax them, but no e-mails!
    > So you're doomed to spending ages on the phone waiting for service.

    It's a joke eh? I tried using their online system once too. That job got
    cancelled without any contact as well.

    Do you know if they have put in place a 24hr help line yet? Or was this
    just another bit of bullshit they've fed me?
    muppet, Jun 30, 2007
  9. In message <1183102819.22760@ftpsrv1>, muppet wrote:

    > Has anyone else noticed significant delays in email delivery in the last
    > two weeks to Slingshot?

    I have a friend who has been using Slingshot dialup for years, and is very
    happy with them. I asked him today about e-mail problems, and he says his
    is coming through fine.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 30, 2007
  10. muppet

    muppet Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <1183102819.22760@ftpsrv1>, muppet wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone else noticed significant delays in email delivery in the last
    >> two weeks to Slingshot?

    > I have a friend who has been using Slingshot dialup for years, and is very
    > happy with them. I asked him today about e-mail problems, and he says his
    > is coming through fine.

    How many emails a day does he get, and is he comparing sent time with
    delivery time and reviewing the headers. No... probably not.
    muppet, Jun 30, 2007
  11. muppet

    muppet Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <1183102819.22760@ftpsrv1>, muppet wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone else noticed significant delays in email delivery in the last
    >> two weeks to Slingshot?

    > I have a friend who has been using Slingshot dialup for years, and is very
    > happy with them. I asked him today about e-mail problems, and he says his
    > is coming through fine.

    Besides, most dial up users will be downloading their mail
    intermittently so probably wouldn't notice either.
    muppet, Jun 30, 2007
  12. muppet

    muppet Guest

    Nice. 9 1/2 hour delay.

    muppet wrote:
    > Has anyone else noticed significant delays in email delivery in the last
    > two weeks to Slingshot? It's not every message, but I'm noticing that
    > some email is delivered hours (sometimes 7+ hrs) after it was sent from
    > other NZ based ISP's. It's strange, because emails sent from the same
    > person later than delayed ones are being received earlier, sometimes
    > even immediately as you would expect.
    >
    > Here's an example of part of the message header with a 5 hour delay. It
    > seems to be showing that the email is hanging around in the Slingshot
    > Mail System for hours before becoming available for download by the user.

    > 4.50)
    >
    > id 1I1dH3-0004ql-DE
    >
    > for ; Fri, 22 Jun 2007 19:09:41 +1200

    > by mxsrv1.tranzpeer.net with ESMTP (Exim 4.50)
    >
    > id 1I1YTk-0002K7-G3
    >
    > for ; Fri, 22 Jun 2007 14:02:29 +1200

  13. muppet

    frederick Guest

    Re: Nice. 9 1/2 hour delay.

    muppet wrote:
    > muppet wrote:
    >> Has anyone else noticed significant delays in email delivery in the
    >> last two weeks to Slingshot? It's not every message, but I'm noticing
    >> that some email is delivered hours (sometimes 7+ hrs) after it was
    >> sent from other NZ based ISP's. It's strange, because emails sent from
    >> the same person later than delayed ones are being received earlier,
    >> sometimes even immediately as you would expect.
    >>
    >> Here's an example of part of the message header with a 5 hour delay.
    >> It seems to be showing that the email is hanging around in the
    >> Slingshot Mail System for hours before becoming available for download
    >> by the user.

    AFAICT there are some problems with Slingshot at present.
    I've been getting a lot of mini-outages over the past few days.
    My 2mb/s 128kb just shows 1944 down 130 up - which isn't bad for this
    time of night, but I have had problems connecting to their hosting
    service via ftp, connecting to their pop3 mail server, connecting to
    news, and a delay in getting mail sent via my Gmail acount.
    So - I don't think you're the only one. Their "network status" says no
    problems.
    I hope that this isn't the beginning of the end - I've been using then
    for 18 months or so, and they have been very good.
    frederick, Jul 1, 2007
  14. muppet

    muppet Guest

    Re: Nice. 9 1/2 hour delay.

    frederick wrote:
    > muppet wrote:
    >> muppet wrote:
    >>> Has anyone else noticed significant delays in email delivery in the
    >>> last two weeks to Slingshot? It's not every message, but I'm noticing
    >>> that some email is delivered hours (sometimes 7+ hrs) after it was
    >>> sent from other NZ based ISP's. It's strange, because emails sent
    >>> from the same person later than delayed ones are being received
    >>> earlier, sometimes even immediately as you would expect.
    >>>
    >>> Here's an example of part of the message header with a 5 hour delay.
    >>> It seems to be showing that the email is hanging around in the
    >>> Slingshot Mail System for hours before becoming available for
    >>> download by the user.
    >>>

    > AFAICT there are some problems with Slingshot at present.
    > I've been getting a lot of mini-outages over the past few days.
    > My 2mb/s 128kb just shows 1944 down 130 up - which isn't bad for this
    > time of night, but I have had problems connecting to their hosting
    > service via ftp, connecting to their pop3 mail server, connecting to
    > news, and a delay in getting mail sent via my Gmail acount.
    > So - I don't think you're the only one. Their "network status" says no
    > problems.
    > I hope that this isn't the beginning of the end - I've been using then
    > for 18 months or so, and they have been very good.

    When there are outages they seem to take a long time to get on top of
    them. Several weeks usually. Even when they're of significance and have
    a big impact. Overall (excluding those outages) I've found the service
    itself good. Customer service is sorely lacking. What really bugs me is
    their apparent policy of deception and non disclosure. If there are
    problems, and the provider is up front about it, rather than lying and
    denying, the customers are usually a lot more forgiving, tolerant,
    patient, and understanding.
    muppet, Jul 1, 2007
  15. muppet

    Peter Guest

    Re: Nice. 9 1/2 hour delay.

    muppet wrote:
    > If there are problems, and the provider is up front about it, rather
    > than lying and denying, the customers are usually a lot more
    > forgiving, tolerant, patient, and understanding.

    I agree.
    If there are problems, at least we can hope things will get better soon.
    But if the current performance is the best we can hope for from Slingshot,
    then perhaps it is time to look for another ISP.

    I don't use them for email, but have noticed problems with http and usenet.
    The usenet connection has often timed out, or has a large delay before
    starting to download headers. Similarly, there seems to be a big lag
    between clicking a link and starting to download a web page.

    Peter
    Peter, Jul 1, 2007
  16. muppet

    muppet Guest

    Re: Nice. 9 1/2 hour delay.

    frederick wrote:
    > muppet wrote:
    >> muppet wrote:
    >>> Has anyone else noticed significant delays in email delivery in the
    >>> last two weeks to Slingshot? It's not every message, but I'm noticing
    >>> that some email is delivered hours (sometimes 7+ hrs) after it was
    >>> sent from other NZ based ISP's. It's strange, because emails sent
    >>> from the same person later than delayed ones are being received
    >>> earlier, sometimes even immediately as you would expect.
    >>>
    >>> Here's an example of part of the message header with a 5 hour delay.
    >>> It seems to be showing that the email is hanging around in the
    >>> Slingshot Mail System for hours before becoming available for
    >>> download by the user.
    >>>

    > AFAICT there are some problems with Slingshot at present.
    > I've been getting a lot of mini-outages over the past few days.
    > My 2mb/s 128kb just shows 1944 down 130 up - which isn't bad for this
    > time of night, but I have had problems connecting to their hosting
    > service via ftp, connecting to their pop3 mail server, connecting to
    > news, and a delay in getting mail sent via my Gmail acount.
    > So - I don't think you're the only one. Their "network status" says no
    > problems.
    > I hope that this isn't the beginning of the end - I've been using then
    > for 18 months or so, and they have been very good.

    BTW, I've also been noticing small outages. NNTP in particular. I did
    notice an earlier post suggesting wider issues with the internet. See
    "Big news, or a non-event?" posted by Shane at 12:17pm 01/07/2007.

    The email delays are however internal to Slingshot. The message headers
    clearly point to the delay being between two Slingshot servers. They've
    got a major problem at the moment.

    The 'network status' thing was something I addressed with them early on.
    Jacob someone or rather made a commitment that they would do better in
    having the network status updated regularly and promptly. I've noticed
    they've not been doing that either. Seems another hollow promise. Have
    you noticed whenever you call the helpdesk, you will always hear the
    message "We're currently experiencing higher than normal call volumes"?
    More deception!
    muppet, Jul 1, 2007
  17. muppet

    muppet Guest

    Re: Nice. 9 1/2 hour delay.

    Peter wrote:
    > muppet wrote:
    >> If there are problems, and the provider is up front about it, rather
    >> than lying and denying, the customers are usually a lot more
    >> forgiving, tolerant, patient, and understanding.

    > I agree.
    > If there are problems, at least we can hope things will get better soon.
    > But if the current performance is the best we can hope for from Slingshot,
    > then perhaps it is time to look for another ISP.
    >
    > I don't use them for email, but have noticed problems with http and usenet.
    > The usenet connection has often timed out, or has a large delay before
    > starting to download headers. Similarly, there seems to be a big lag
    > between clicking a link and starting to download a web page.
    >

    > Peter

    Thanks Peter. Yes, I agree with the suggestion about looking at another
    provider. I am looking now, but I haven't yet found a comparably
    priced/bandwidth plan. I'm hoping they'll see the dissatisfaction, not
    like the fact that it's public, see the error in their ways, and make a
    genuine commitment this time to change.
    muppet, Jul 1, 2007