    Yup, I can definitely live with that.

    Best Regards

    Markus

    Markus Winter, Oct 8, 2003

  2. In article <BBAA4DA1.22F8D%>, Markus Winter <> wrote:
    *SNIP*
    >connection speed was 5 kb/sec throughout! [40.5*1024/150min/60sec]

    *SNIP*
    You mean 5K_B_, sec. b in computing means bits, B means bytes. An ISP
    which can only delivery you a sustained five bits per second should be
    shot.

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    Matthew Poole, Oct 8, 2003

  3. Markus Winter

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Markus Winter" wrote
    > my girlfriends family has
    > Xtra and when downloading large files (like Windows system updates) onto
    > their PC I noticed that the connection speeds got progressively worse, to
    > the point where it was a good idea to disconnect and reconnect (which got
    > the connection speed back to 5k/sec for about 10 min before it goes down

    > a trickle again).

    Your GF problem is most likely the modem retraining due to errors... if you
    know how, you may want to limit the initial connection speed to something
    ~40k I have found ~36-38 to be the best in my house.

    T.N.O., Oct 8, 2003
  4. Markus Winter

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 08:36:04 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

    > "Markus Winter" wrote
    >> my girlfriends family has
    >> Xtra and when downloading large files (like Windows system updates) onto
    >> their PC I noticed that the connection speeds got progressively worse,
    >> to the point where it was a good idea to disconnect and reconnect (which
    >> got the connection speed back to 5k/sec for about 10 min before it goes
    >> down

    >> a trickle again).

    > Your GF problem is most likely the modem retraining due to errors... if
    > you know how, you may want to limit the initial connection speed to
    > something ~40k I have found ~36-38 to be the best in my house.

    I sometimes use my GFs Xtra account at home with a 33.6k modem
    (Win98SE) and get the same problem. This modem and phone line has worked
    great with previous Ihug or Paradise accounts.

    After about 5-10mins the connection will slow down then actually stop -
    you can see your request packets lighting the send lights, but no response
    will come back. You have to hang up and redial to keep surfing.

    As I only use it for checking marine forecasts in the weekend I can live
    with it.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Oct 8, 2003