    Emails get ignored. The helpdesk was helpful, but unable to fix the
    problem.
    Goeff

    Geoffm, Feb 28, 2009

  2. Geoffm

    Murray Symon Guest

    Geoffm wrote:

    > Are Slingshot the worst ISP out there fore reliability?
    > I made the mistake of changing from Ihug (crap) to Slingshot(worse) a
    > few months ago. From the day of the changeover (another story of
    > ineptitude and incompetence) I have had problems with the ADSL
    > connection loosing it's sync and not connecting. This can happen for a
    > few minutes, to over a day.
    > it has been rock solid with 3 other ISPs in 2 addresses over the last
    > 5 years. Swapping the modem makes no difference. It started as soon as
    > the changeover, so it must be a Slingshot issue.
    >
    > Emails get ignored. The helpdesk was helpful, but unable to fix the
    > problem.
    > Goeff

    I have no problems with them over the past 3 years (from Taranaki).
    Perhaps it is more likely a problem between you and your exchange?
    Is it even possible for the remote ISP to have an effect on your
    local ADSL connection establishment?
    Maybe the exchange switched circuits (DSLAM?) when you changed
    over, and there is a problem with the "new" circuit?

    Murray.

    Murray Symon, Feb 28, 2009

  3. On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 13:53:04 +1300, Geoffm
    <> wrote:

    >Are Slingshot the worst ISP out there fore reliability?
    >I made the mistake of changing from Ihug (crap) to Slingshot(worse) a
    >few months ago. From the day of the changeover (another story of
    >ineptitude and incompetence) I have had problems with the ADSL
    >connection loosing it's sync and not connecting. This can happen for a
    >few minutes, to over a day.
    > it has been rock solid with 3 other ISPs in 2 addresses over the last
    >5 years. Swapping the modem makes no difference. It started as soon as
    >the changeover, so it must be a Slingshot issue.
    >
    >Emails get ignored. The helpdesk was helpful, but unable to fix the
    >problem.
    >Goeff

    When I went from Ihug to Slingshot, Slingshot turned of the ADSL
    interleaving option by default (Ihug only has it on normally). That
    makes the ping times smaller (good for gaming), but also causes the
    connection to be less reliable. You can get the interleaving turned
    on again to see if that helps. I think there is an option somewhere
    on your account pages on the web site to do it, if not ask the
    helpdesk.

    What sort of Slingshot connection do you have? If it is via Telecom
    still, then they should not have had to change the card in the DSLAM
    your local loop was connected to. But if it is one of the accounts
    where they take control of the local loop and provide your phone
    service too, then their technician will have moved the local loop
    wires over to cards in their equipment rack at the exchange, so you
    might be seeing faulty wiring, or a bad DSLAM or phone card causing
    these problems. It is also possible that a fault in the wiring (in
    your house or otherwise) developed at around the same time as the
    change of ISPs - low probability, but still possible.

    And yes, Slingshot are truly terrible. I only lasted a month with
    them and then went elsewhere after they deliberately slowed down all
    the NNTP connections to well less than dial-up speed (without, of
    course, saying that they had done it). Even to just get a text post,
    it was taking untold ages to make NNTP connection. Let alone trying
    to download a binary! I told them that they had broken their contract
    with me for a full speed/full speed connection and that I would not be
    paying any early termination fees, and eventually they agreed with me.
    But ever since, their billing system has been sending me monthly
    bills, and I have been calling the helpdesk and sending them emails
    via their web site "formal complaint" page. They do not receive
    normal emails and emails sent from the normal page get treated as a
    "query" and not acted on - you have to use the "formal complaint"
    page, which they have carefully hidden through multiple layers of
    URLs.

    The last bill came with a message that "my connection had been
    adversely affected" because of non-payment, which I found a big joke,
    since I had not been connected to them for months, so how could they
    cut off my connection for non-payment? Last time I called the
    helpdesk, I managed to convince the front-line person to put me
    through to the "duty manager", who was actually quite good and said he
    would fix it all, and he phoned back later to say his manager had
    approved crediting back the charges on my account and closing it. But
    I will wait until next month to see if they have really stopped
    billing me.

    Their administration systems are a nightmare - no-one you can normally
    talk to has the authority to do anything about a problem - they
    normally will only put you through to a "team leader" if they can not
    handle a problem, and "team leaders" do not have any authority. So
    all that happens is an internal email gets sent to someone else, who
    seems to ignore it and nothing happens. The actual technician who run
    the network are in the "network department" and you are never allowed
    to talk to them. This is the sort of idiot bureaucratic system that
    you expect a huge government department to do, not a company that
    wants your business.

    Compare that to good ISPs like Actrix, where the person who answers
    the phone is fully capable of doing things like crediting your bill
    and if there is any problem they can not handle themselves, the very
    next person they put you on to most certainly can and will. When you
    have a serious technical problem, you get put through to a technician
    who actually understands the problem and will likely be the actual
    person fixing it. Usually, one phone call is all it takes to get
    something fixed.

    I would recommend that everyone steer well clear of Slingshot, even if
    their pricing may be attractive. You will regret getting sucked into
    their system.

    Stephen Worthington, Feb 28, 2009
  4. Geoffm

    Your Name Guest

    "Geoffm" <> wrote in message
    > Are Slingshot the worst ISP out there fore reliability?
    > I made the mistake of changing from Ihug (crap) to Slingshot(worse) a
    > few months ago. From the day of the changeover (another story of
    > ineptitude and incompetence) I have had problems with the ADSL
    > connection loosing it's sync and not connecting. This can happen for a
    > few minutes, to over a day.
    > it has been rock solid with 3 other ISPs in 2 addresses over the last
    > 5 years. Swapping the modem makes no difference. It started as soon as
    > the changeover, so it must be a Slingshot issue.
    >
    > Emails get ignored. The helpdesk was helpful, but unable to fix the
    > problem.

    What happens at other addresses isn't really relevant - they'll be through
    different exchanges, different cabling, etc.

    It could be a Slingshot issue, or it could simply be a coincidence that the
    line has failed at the same time.

    If other modems are doing the same thing then it's obviously the line from
    the modem to the wall socket, the wall socket itself, the line from the
    socket to the outside world connection, or something outside your house.

    If you haven't already, try a different modem-phone socket cable and a
    different phone socket. Also make sure you unplug ALL other equipment
    plugged into the phoneline - phones, faxes, etc.

    If possible, try plugging the modem to another ADSL line somewhere else and
    see if you can get a stable connection.

    If none of that works, then it really needs a Telescum NZ contractor to come
    out and physically check the outside lines and connections to your house
    (although you'll have to pay if they can't find a problem). Simply having
    them check the lines from the Telescum helpdesk is an utter waste of time
    and proves nothing, so you'll need to insist that someone comes out to check
    properly.

    Your Name, Feb 28, 2009
  5. Geoffm

    Richard Guest

    Geoffm wrote:
    > Are Slingshot the worst ISP out there fore reliability?
    > I made the mistake of changing from Ihug (crap) to Slingshot(worse) a
    > few months ago. From the day of the changeover (another story of
    > ineptitude and incompetence) I have had problems with the ADSL
    > connection loosing it's sync and not connecting. This can happen for a
    > few minutes, to over a day.
    > it has been rock solid with 3 other ISPs in 2 addresses over the last
    > 5 years. Swapping the modem makes no difference. It started as soon as
    > the changeover, so it must be a Slingshot issue.
    >
    > Emails get ignored. The helpdesk was helpful, but unable to fix the
    > problem.
    > Goeff

    my current ppp up time is 280 hours give or take.

    so no, slingshot are not the most unreliable for that aspect of the
    connection - download speeds are another matter.

    And this is with a really old netgear dg632 so a newer modem should be
    better at it.

    The previous dynajunk was unreliable on all isps tested with.

    Richard, Feb 28, 2009