    would like an ISP account....but it has to be cheap.

    Slingshot is $16.95 / month flat rate.

    Are they OK?

    steve, Jun 3, 2004

  2. steve

    Dave Taylor Guest

    steve <steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz> wrote in news:40bf03b3$1
    @news.orcon.net.nz:

    > We have a firend on the benefit who was given a PC recently....and she
    > would like an ISP account....but it has to be cheap.
    >
    > Slingshot is $16.95 / month flat rate.
    >
    > Are they OK?

    They are fine if you know what you are doing. I was really happy with them
    for dial up.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jun 3, 2004

  3. steve

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "steve" <steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz> wrote in message
    > We have a firend on the benefit who was given a PC recently....and she
    > would like an ISP account....but it has to be cheap.
    >
    > Slingshot is $16.95 / month flat rate.
    >
    > Are they OK?

    Real good mostly - only just ok as far as Slingshot using ihug's news server
    goes. Slingshot should be large enough to have a fully independent news
    server of their own.
    Quite a lot of busy signals for a month with Telecom putting the squeeze on
    the small outfit, hasn't been any more for quite a while. The connection
    speed is good as well.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jun 3, 2004
  4. steve

    TmcT Guest

    freeNet offer first 200mins free per month.
    (have to pay the first month or something to pay first, can't remember...)

    TmcT, Jun 3, 2004
  5. In article <>, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:

    >"steve" <steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz> wrote in message

    *SNIP*
    >Real good mostly - only just ok as far as Slingshot using ihug's news server
    >goes. Slingshot should be large enough to have a fully independent news
    >server of their own.

    *SNIP*

    Why am I not surprised to hear this?
    Once upon a time, they did have their own news server. Obviously the
    monkies they now have running the place don't have enough of a clue to
    be able to keep it running.

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    Matthew Poole, Jun 3, 2004
  6. Matthew Poole wrote:
    >>Real good mostly - only just ok as far as Slingshot using ihug's news server
    >>goes. Slingshot should be large enough to have a fully independent news
    >>server of their own.

    > Once upon a time, they did have their own news server. Obviously the
    > monkies they now have running the place don't have enough of a clue to
    > be able to keep it running.

    or it is cheaper to use Ihugs one.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 3, 2004
  7. steve

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Matthew Poole" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, "E. Scrooge"

    <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:

    > >"steve" <steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz> wrote in message

    > *SNIP*
    > >Real good mostly - only just ok as far as Slingshot using ihug's news

    server
    > >goes. Slingshot should be large enough to have a fully independent news
    > >server of their own.

    > *SNIP*
    >
    > Why am I not surprised to hear this?
    > Once upon a time, they did have their own news server. Obviously the
    > monkies they now have running the place don't have enough of a clue to
    > be able to keep it running.
    >
    > --
    > Matthew Poole

    There's often a couple minutes delay for any new posts when refreshing,
    compared to when being directly logged onto ihug. Slingshot's news server
    is connected to ihug's server. Not a great setup compared to being logged
    directly onto ihug's server. You'll even see in my headers that any
    complaints go to abuse at ihug, not Slingshot. Some other small ISPs might
    be doing much the same. It's a dag to see Call Plus/Slingshot tugging away
    on the Tail of Telecom. The accounts page on Slingshot is as basic as
    possible, ihug's accounts pages would be about as informed as anyone would
    want.
    They try to keep the news service as quiet as possible with hardly any
    mention of the service, other ISPs pretty much do the same though.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jun 3, 2004
  8. steve

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "TmcT" <> wrote in message
    > freeNet offer first 200mins free per month.
    > (have to pay the first month or something to pay first, can't remember...)

    Your outfit is feeding off ihug's news server as well. And Simon Lyall
    claimed there was no money in providing a news service - back during ihug's
    black year of outages.
    LOL

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jun 3, 2004
  9. steve

    John Guest

    > We have a firend on the benefit who was given a PC recently....and she
    > would like an ISP account....but it has to be cheap.
    >
    > Slingshot is $16.95 / month flat rate.
    >
    > Are they OK?

    They aren't terribly good in the evening for viewing international websites,
    but it is reasonable for the money. I tried their Slipstream product, but it
    produced very poor quality image downloads, and wasn't much faster.

    John, Jun 4, 2004
  10. steve

    John Guest

    "TmcT" <> wrote in message
    > freeNet offer first 200mins free per month.
    > (have to pay the first month or something to pay first, can't remember...)
    >

    > "steve" <steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz> wrote in message
    > > We have a firend on the benefit who was given a PC recently....and she
    > > would like an ISP account....but it has to be cheap.
    > >
    > > Slingshot is $16.95 / month flat rate.
    > >
    > > Are they OK?

    Almost impossible to get a connection in the evening with Freenet I found.

    John, Jun 4, 2004
  11. steve

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message

    > "TmcT" <> wrote in message
    > > freeNet offer first 200mins free per month.
    > > (have to pay the first month or something to pay first, can't

    remember...)

    > > "steve" <steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz> wrote in message
    > > > We have a firend on the benefit who was given a PC recently....and she
    > > > would like an ISP account....but it has to be cheap.
    > > >
    > > > Slingshot is $16.95 / month flat rate.
    > > >
    > > > Are they OK?

    > Almost impossible to get a connection in the evening with Freenet I

    found.

    My next door neighbour mentioned that as well about Freenet, and they're
    paying the monthly fee.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jun 4, 2004
  12. steve

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message

    > "steve" <steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz> wrote in message
    > > We have a firend on the benefit who was given a PC recently....and she
    > > would like an ISP account....but it has to be cheap.
    > >
    > > Slingshot is $16.95 / month flat rate.
    > >
    > > Are they OK?

    > They aren't terribly good in the evening for viewing international

    websites,
    > but it is reasonable for the money. I tried their Slipstream product, but

    it
    > produced very poor quality image downloads, and wasn't much faster.

    Slipstream uses compression, it's a fool's trap to think that it's actually
    faster. It downloads less.
    Slingshot is every bit as good as ihug for surfing at peak times, and ihug
    is good, but cost $10 more a month for it. It's 2004, not the 1990s.
    Prices should be $20 at the most a month for dialers. ADSL should be
    cheaper than it is, thank Telecon for that.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jun 4, 2004
  13. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 4, 2004
  14. steve

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_please.dave.net.nz> wrote in message
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    > > ADSL should be
    > > cheaper than it is, thank Telecon for that.

    > you think it should be cheaper... make your own Telco.
    >
    > --
    > Dave Hall

    Why should I provide the service that others should be? You've dumped your
    free to call land line telephone. So don't come that one, that to get good
    value I have to provide me own fucking service.
    Who makes the better overall profits for selling food and drinks?
    Supermarkets or little dairy shops?
    Telecom would make heaps more money with more people going to ADSL at a far
    more realistic pricing.
    You're the same guy that wanted a cheap job done on painting the front of
    your car instead of a longer lasting quality job.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jun 4, 2004
  15. E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>>ADSL should be
    >>>cheaper than it is, thank Telecon for that.

    >>you think it should be cheaper... make your own Telco.

    > Why should I provide the service that others should be?

    Who says that they are able to? Do you have proof(I mean real proof)
    that they are able to make it cheaper than they currently are?

    > You've dumped your
    > free to call land line telephone.

    Indeed I have, because I don't need it.

    > So don't come that one, that to get good
    > value I have to provide me own fucking service.

    errr, I didnt. By the way, chill a little Scrooge.

    > Who makes the better overall profits for selling food and drinks?
    > Supermarkets or little dairy shops?

    No idea, Im not privey to that information.

    > Telecom would make heaps more money with more people going to ADSL at a far
    > more realistic pricing.

    Got some proof of that? or is this speculation?

    > You're the same guy that wanted a cheap job done on painting the front of
    > your car instead of a longer lasting quality job.

    Actually, what I wanted, was the cheapest good place... my exact words
    were "I want a good job done, don't really care how much(within
    reason)", Longevity of the paint job never came into it.
    See huge url below.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...elm=bu2cif%24cas%241%40lust.ihug.co.nz&rnum=1

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 4, 2004
  16. In article <40bf03b3$>, steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz
    says...
    > We have a firend on the benefit who was given a PC recently....and she
    > would like an ISP account....but it has to be cheap.
    >
    > Slingshot is $16.95 / month flat rate.

    Clear is $15 for 250 hours IIRC. Nothing wrong with them.

    Surely she's not going to be online more than 8 hours/day.

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 4, 2004
  17. steve

    John Guest

    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    > > ADSL should be
    > > cheaper than it is, thank Telecon for that.

    > you think it should be cheaper... make your own Telco.
    >
    > --
    > Dave Hall
    > http://www.dave.net.nz
    > http://www.dunedinwireless.co.nz

    We all did with Telecom. Taxpayers all paid to set up the Telecom
    infrastructure. The fact that Telstra isn't laying their own phone lines
    shows that it is uneconomical unless it is government funded, like it was
    with Telecon.
    Maybe wireless is the only long term option, unless Telecon is forced to
    unbundle.

    John, Jun 4, 2004
  18. steve

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 15:38:30 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > Clear is $15 for 250 hours IIRC. Nothing wrong with them.
    >
    > Surely she's not going to be online more than 8 hours/day

    Could I correct that to 150hrs per month for $15, unless they have upped
    things to 250hrs.

    Connection is good here in Christchurch.

    Gordon, Jun 4, 2004
  19. In article <>,
    says...
    > On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 15:38:30 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >
    > > Clear is $15 for 250 hours IIRC. Nothing wrong with them.
    > >
    > > Surely she's not going to be online more than 8 hours/day

    > Could I correct that to 150hrs per month for $15, unless they have upped
    > things to 250hrs.
    >
    > Connection is good here in Christchurch.

    You are correct. Make that 5 hours/day

    Paradise is 250 I think, for $20

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 4, 2004
  20. steve

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 15:38:30 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > >
    > > > Clear is $15 for 250 hours IIRC. Nothing wrong with them.
    > > >
    > > > Surely she's not going to be online more than 8 hours/day

    > > Could I correct that to 150hrs per month for $15, unless they have upped
    > > things to 250hrs.
    > >
    > > Connection is good here in Christchurch.

    > You are correct. Make that 5 hours/day
    >
    > Paradise is 250 I think, for $20

    Damn near $22 for a TRUE month.

    E. Scrooge