    I ? Anyone got any ideas what it could be? I have only been with slingshots
    adsl for about two weeks too.

    I am therefore back to dail up, they had better not charge me for it.

    Vista, May 31, 2006

  2. Vista

    Vista Guest

    "Vista" <> wrote in message
    news:1149068196.771918@ftpsrv1...
    > Is anyone else using slingshot adsl having a problem tonight? Mine
    > suddenly went down, and I have been on hold to their telephone support for
    > the last half hour. My modem indicates no connection to the ISP.
    > SLingshots website displays no problems. The thing I have found trying to
    > get it working, is that if I unplug the adsl modem from the phone line,
    > and plug in a normal phone (without an ADSL filter), there is a dial tone.
    > Normally plugging a phone into the adsl enabled phone point I shouldn't
    > get a dial tone should I ? Anyone got any ideas what it could be? I have
    > only been with slingshots adsl for about two weeks too.
    >
    > I am therefore back to dail up, they had better not charge me for it.

    Managed to get though , and it is probably a problem affecting people in the
    Hutt Valley. Wish they used their status page as it would have saved a lot
    of time. Hopefully they fix it soon and it is not the same type of problem
    that affected xtra.

    Vista, May 31, 2006

  3. Vista wrote:
    > Is anyone else using slingshot adsl having a problem tonight? Mine suddenly
    > went down, and I have been on hold to their telephone support for the last
    > half hour. My modem indicates no connection to the ISP. SLingshots website
    > displays no problems. The thing I have found trying to get it working, is
    > that if I unplug the adsl modem from the phone line, and plug in a normal
    > phone (without an ADSL filter), there is a dial tone. Normally plugging a
    > phone into the adsl enabled phone point I shouldn't get a dial tone should
    > I ? Anyone got any ideas what it could be? I have only been with slingshots
    > adsl for about two weeks too.
    >
    > I am therefore back to dail up, they had better not charge me for it.

    My interenet went down at home also at appprox this time, Im with xtra
    and am in the newlands/wellington area... after being on hold for close
    to an hour, they said it would be fixed within 2 hours, This mroning its
    still down...

    Andrew Lambert, May 31, 2006
  4. Vista

    AssPacket Guest

    Vista wrote:
    > Is anyone else using slingshot adsl having a problem tonight? Mine suddenly
    > went down, and I have been on hold to their telephone support for the last
    > half hour. My modem indicates no connection to the ISP. SLingshots website
    > displays no problems. The thing I have found trying to get it working, is
    > that if I unplug the adsl modem from the phone line, and plug in a normal
    > phone (without an ADSL filter), there is a dial tone. Normally plugging a
    > phone into the adsl enabled phone point I shouldn't get a dial tone should
    > I ? Anyone got any ideas what it could be? I have only been with slingshots
    > adsl for about two weeks too.
    >
    > I am therefore back to dail up, they had better not charge me for it.

    It looks like Telecom had an issue with there RAN that pretty much nuked
    all the connections off of it, so not just slingshot was broken but ALL
    DSL customers on that RAN.

    AssPacket, May 31, 2006
  5. Vista

    none Guest

    AssPacket wrote:
    > It looks like Telecom had an issue with there RAN that pretty much nuked
    > all the connections off of it, so not just slingshot was broken but ALL
    > DSL customers on that RAN.

    The PRO-RAN was down (Porirua for the uninitiated) from 2130 last night
    (ish) till approx 0730 this morning. Actual connections took till about
    0830 this morning to come right.

    It appears the CH-RAN in Christchurch was also reset at some time this
    morning.

    none, May 31, 2006
  6. Vista

    Peter Nield Guest

    "AssPacket" <> wrote in message
    > Vista wrote:
    > It looks like Telecom had an issue with there RAN that pretty much nuked
    > all the connections off of it, so not just slingshot was broken but ALL
    > DSL customers on that RAN.

    They keep having problems with that. I've lost a weeks worth of service on
    iHUG Bliink since December due to not being able to authenticate or other
    screwups by Telecom. It's a pain to go through the song-and-dance routine
    with the iHUG helpdesk bodies where they are determined to find a fault at
    your end, esp. when you don't use equipment their song-and-dance routine
    covers (Nokia M1122), just to find out that it's a Telecom problem once the
    Helpdesk person decides they better ask their Network Engineers what's going
    on.

    If everything was unbundled, it wouldn't be like pulling teeth to get
    problems fixed.

    Peter Nield, May 31, 2006
  7. Vista

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 10:52:28 +1200, "Peter Nield"
    <> exclaimed:

    >If everything was unbundled, it wouldn't be like pulling teeth to get
    >problems fixed.

    LOL!!! You've been listening to too much of the hype.

    You think it's bad now? You wait until every tom, dick and harry gets
    to **** with the exchanges...

    Fred Dagg, Jun 1, 2006
  8. Vista

    Vista Guest

    "Vista" <> wrote in message
    > Is anyone else using slingshot adsl having a problem tonight? Mine
    > suddenly went down, and I have been on hold to their telephone support for
    > the last half hour. My modem indicates no connection to the ISP.
    > SLingshots website displays no problems. The thing I have found trying to
    > get it working, is that if I unplug the adsl modem from the phone line,
    > and plug in a normal phone (without an ADSL filter), there is a dial tone.
    > Normally plugging a phone into the adsl enabled phone point I shouldn't
    > get a dial tone should I ? Anyone got any ideas what it could be? I have
    > only been with slingshots adsl for about two weeks too.
    >
    > I am therefore back to dail up, they had better not charge me for it.

    Still wasn't working at 10:30 am, which means over 12 hours of outage.
    Absolutely no communication from slingshot, and their status page indicated
    that there was still no problem, even though when I spoke to the support
    people last night, they had told me that they had been getting lots of calls
    from my area with people who had the same problem.
    As of 12:30 it is working again. I wonder if Slingshot will offer
    compensation for the loss of service like telecom did, I doubt it. Very
    poor service. If they had just posted that their was a problem on their
    status page and phone status message, I would have been happy. Because they
    didn't post a message , it means I had to waste my time troubleshooting the
    problem, and being put on hold for over half and hour trying to find out the
    problem.

    Vista, Jun 1, 2006
  9. Vista

    Chris Lim Guest

    Vista wrote:
    > poor service. If they had just posted that their was a problem on their
    > status page and phone status message, I would have been happy. Because they
    > didn't post a message , it means I had to waste my time troubleshooting the
    > problem, and being put on hold for over half and hour trying to find out the
    > problem.

    Yeah Slingshot don't seem to update that page very often. Orcon was
    pretty good in that respect, and now they also have a free service
    where you can TXT them and get a status update via your mobile. You
    could always try that first, and if it's a problem affecting all ISPs
    then at least you'd find out that way.

    Chris

    Chris Lim, Jun 1, 2006
  10. Vista

    Chris Lim Guest

    Chris Lim wrote:
    > pretty good in that respect, and now they also have a free service
    > where you can TXT them and get a status update via your mobile. You

    Just txt 464 with the word 'status' from your mobile.

    Chris Lim, Jun 1, 2006
  11. Vista

    none Guest

    Chris Lim wrote:
    > Chris Lim wrote:
    >> pretty good in that respect, and now they also have a free service
    >> where you can TXT them and get a status update via your mobile. You

    > Just txt 464 with the word 'status' from your mobile.

    You actually pay for the message you send them though, so "free" is open
    to interpretation.

    none, Jun 1, 2006
  12. Vista

    none Guest

    none, Jun 1, 2006
  13. Vista

    Fran Guest

    Vista wrote:
    > Normally plugging a
    > phone into the adsl enabled phone point I shouldn't get a dial tone
    > should I ?

    Yes, you will get a dialtone.
    The phone jack isn't actually ADSL enabled, it's that the rest are ADSL
    un-enabled.

    Fran
    :):):)

    Fran, Jun 1, 2006
  14. Vista

    Chris Lim Guest

    none wrote:
    > You actually pay for the message you send them though, so "free" is open
    > to interpretation.

    Do Orcon get a cut of the 20c or whatever the fee is though? Or does
    Telecom/Vodafone get it all?

    Either way it's nearly free....

    Chris Lim, Jun 1, 2006
  15. Vista

    David Empson Guest

    Andrew Lambert <> wrote:

    > Vista wrote:
    > > Is anyone else using slingshot adsl having a problem tonight? Mine suddenly
    > > went down, and I have been on hold to their telephone support for the last
    > > half hour. My modem indicates no connection to the ISP. SLingshots website
    > > displays no problems. The thing I have found trying to get it working, is
    > > that if I unplug the adsl modem from the phone line, and plug in a normal
    > > phone (without an ADSL filter), there is a dial tone. Normally plugging a
    > > phone into the adsl enabled phone point I shouldn't get a dial tone should
    > > I ?

    Depends on the filtering arrangement. An unfiltered socket will have
    dial tone (and will also get some interference from the ADSL signal, if
    it is active).

    A dual filter with "Phone" and "ADSL" sockets strips out the ADSL signal
    for the "Phone" socket, but might not do any filtering on the "ADSL"
    socket. If it does filter out the voice band on the "ADSL" socket then
    you shouldn't hear dialtone.

    > My interenet went down at home also at appprox this time, Im with xtra
    > and am in the newlands/wellington area... after being on hold for close
    > to an hour, they said it would be fixed within 2 hours,

    Appeared to be a general ADSL outage affecting a lot of Wellington (I'm
    in Wilton). I'm with Actrix, and they had a message on their answerphone
    about 9:30 pm saying that Telecom had a fault and they weren't sure when
    it would be fixed. It was still down by midnight, but working again on
    Thursday morning.

    The modem reported a valid DSL connection but was unable to connect to
    the ISP, suggesting a problem somewhere further upstream than the
    exchange.

    A friend of mine in Stokes Valley (using Xtra ADSL) was not affected.

    > This mroning its still down...

    You might need to power your modem off and on again to get it to
    reconnect. Mine did it automatically.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Jun 1, 2006
  16. Vista

    PingBad Guest

    "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 10:52:28 +1200, "Peter Nield"
    > <> exclaimed:
    >

    >>If everything was unbundled, it wouldn't be like pulling teeth to get
    >>problems fixed.

    > LOL!!! You've been listening to too much of the hype.
    >
    > You think it's bad now? You wait until every tom, dick and harry gets
    > to **** with the exchanges...

    At least them toms dicks and harries are the kinds of tom dick and harry who
    dont **** us over with substandard "broadband" offerings

    PingBad, Jun 2, 2006
  17. Vista

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 05:42:23 +1200, "PingBad" <>
    exclaimed:

    >"Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 10:52:28 +1200, "Peter Nield"
    >> <> exclaimed:
    >>

    >>>If everything was unbundled, it wouldn't be like pulling teeth to get
    >>>problems fixed.

    >> LOL!!! You've been listening to too much of the hype.
    >>
    >> You think it's bad now? You wait until every tom, dick and harry gets
    >> to **** with the exchanges...

    >At least them toms dicks and harries are the kinds of tom dick and harry who
    >dont **** us over with substandard "broadband" offerings

    You've got more faith in them than me!!

    Fred Dagg, Jun 3, 2006
  18. Vista

    shannon Guest

    PingBad wrote:
    > "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 10:52:28 +1200, "Peter Nield"
    >> <> exclaimed:
    >>
    >>> If everything was unbundled, it wouldn't be like pulling teeth to get
    >>> problems fixed.

    >> LOL!!! You've been listening to too much of the hype.
    >>
    >> You think it's bad now? You wait until every tom, dick and harry gets
    >> to **** with the exchanges...

    > At least them toms dicks and harries are the kinds of tom dick and harry who
    > dont **** us over with substandard "broadband" offerings

    It'll be the same subcontractor Tom Dick and Harrys that Telecom
    contract their services out to, that connect pairs in the exchanges and
    at customer premises distribution frames. All ultra standardized
    hardware and procedures used by a worldwide PSTN network industry.

    Telecom are completely fucked now, every day I hear stories from
    consumers who have for instance been told they have been sent modems
    that just haven't arrived, then been told outright lies about what the
    adhoc company policy de jour is. "We don't send modems to box numbers".
    bullshit bullshit bullshit.

    shannon, Jun 3, 2006