    Https

    FTP

    and all other protocals and ports.

    Robert Cooze, Sep 8, 2005

  2. Robert Cooze

    MarkH Guest

    Robert Cooze <> wrote in
    news::

    > Any body had much experience with Slingshot there UBS offerings? Also
    > know about the Orcon debarcal so trying to keep it on topic.
    >
    > Looking at
    >
    > Newsgroups
    >
    > Http
    > Https
    >
    > FTP

    For those above I have no problem hitting the max speed on my 256K UBS
    with Orcon, after the 23rd I will be able to try with 2Mbit instead. In
    fact I have had very little trouble with those protocols since UBS
    started in October (plus POP and SMTP also work well).

    > and all other protocals and ports.

    This is where I understand some Orcon users have been unhappy, primarily
    with P2P file sharing and with online gaming. So this is probably where
    we need the input from Slingshot users to find out if there is any
    advantage with using them instead.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Sep 9, 2005

  3. Robert Cooze

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 02:27:05 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:

    >Robert Cooze <> wrote in
    >
    >> Any body had much experience with Slingshot there UBS offerings? Also
    >> know about the Orcon debarcal so trying to keep it on topic.
    >>
    >> Looking at
    >>
    >> Newsgroups
    >>
    >> Http
    >> Https
    >>
    >> FTP

    >For those above I have no problem hitting the max speed on my 256K UBS
    >with Orcon, after the 23rd I will be able to try with 2Mbit instead. In
    >fact I have had very little trouble with those protocols since UBS
    >started in October (plus POP and SMTP also work well).
    >
    >> and all other protocals and ports.

    >This is where I understand some Orcon users have been unhappy, primarily
    >with P2P file sharing and with online gaming. So this is probably where
    >we need the input from Slingshot users to find out if there is any
    >advantage with using them instead.

    FWIW Doing some testing on ihug 2mb/128k with bittorrent i'm getting 110 kB/S
    with 2 torrents running. Not too bad really. HTTP is excellent, not sure about
    FTP. Streaming radio runs sweet.
    And to top it off they answer the bloody phone too! Quite amazing.
    Craig Shore, Sep 9, 2005
  4. Robert Cooze

    A Guest

    On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 21:41:30 +1200, Craig Shore
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 02:27:05 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:
    >
    >>Robert Cooze <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Any body had much experience with Slingshot there UBS offerings? Also
    >>> know about the Orcon debarcal so trying to keep it on topic.
    >>>
    >>> Looking at
    >>>
    >>> Newsgroups
    >>>
    >>> Http
    >>> Https
    >>>
    >>> FTP

    >>For those above I have no problem hitting the max speed on my 256K UBS
    >>with Orcon, after the 23rd I will be able to try with 2Mbit instead. In
    >>fact I have had very little trouble with those protocols since UBS
    >>started in October (plus POP and SMTP also work well).
    >>
    >>> and all other protocals and ports.

    >>This is where I understand some Orcon users have been unhappy, primarily
    >>with P2P file sharing and with online gaming. So this is probably where
    >>we need the input from Slingshot users to find out if there is any
    >>advantage with using them instead.

    >FWIW Doing some testing on ihug 2mb/128k with bittorrent i'm getting 110 kB/S
    >with 2 torrents running. Not too bad really. HTTP is excellent, not sure about
    >FTP. Streaming radio runs sweet.
    >And to top it off they answer the bloody phone too! Quite amazing.

    I'm with Slingshot 1Mbit plan and get horrible transfers with
    bittorrent (or Shareaza). On the rare occassion I'll get 20kb/s but
    usually its under 10kb/s.

    I've set Shareaza to randomly select a port but that doesn't seem to
    have made any difference.
    A, Sep 9, 2005