    NZ?

    TIA,
    JohnO

    JohnO, Jan 25, 2006

  2. "JohnO" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Need a replacement for a notebook - who supplies these mail-order in
    > NZ?
    >
    > TIA,
    > JohnO

    www.dell.co.nz

    But, don't use firefox to access their website:)

    news.xtra.co.nz, Jan 25, 2006

  3. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > "JohnO" <> wrote in message
    > > Need a replacement for a notebook - who supplies these mail-order in
    > > NZ?
    > >
    > > TIA,
    > > JohnO
    > >

    > www.dell.co.nz
    >
    > But, don't use firefox to access their website:)

    But have you seen their prices? $600+ for a drrive around $100 or less
    from a generic supplier!

    ROTFLMAO!

    JohnO, Jan 25, 2006
  4. JohnO

    EMB Guest

    JohnO wrote:
    > Need a replacement for a notebook - who supplies these mail-order in
    > NZ?

    Will a used one do? There may be a couple kicking around here by next week.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Jan 25, 2006
  5. JohnO

    SteveM Guest

    "JohnO" <> wrote in news:1138149890.166782.193040
    @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > Need a replacement for a notebook - who supplies these mail-order in
    > NZ?
    >
    > TIA,
    > JohnO

    I may have one depending on model you need and how the current faceplate is
    attached to the drive.
    The hardest part is finding a brand of drive that uses the same clips etc
    for the front face. 99% of all drives will fit into the case, but if you
    can't transfer the old drives front face to the new drive then it will not
    look too good..........

    SteveM

    s d m c c at i h u g dot c o dot n z.

    SteveM, Jan 25, 2006
  6. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > JohnO wrote:
    > > Need a replacement for a notebook - who supplies these mail-order in
    > > NZ?

    > Will a used one do? There may be a couple kicking around here by next week.
    >
    > --
    > EMB

    Used sounds great. Are you in Akl?

    JohnO, Jan 25, 2006
  7. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    SteveM wrote:
    > "JohnO" <> wrote in news:1138149890.166782.193040
    > @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
    >
    > > Need a replacement for a notebook - who supplies these mail-order in
    > > NZ?
    > >
    > > TIA,
    > > JohnO
    > >

    > I may have one depending on model you need and how the current faceplate is
    > attached to the drive.
    > The hardest part is finding a brand of drive that uses the same clips etc
    > for the front face. 99% of all drives will fit into the case, but if you
    > can't transfer the old drives front face to the new drive then it will not
    > look too good..........
    >
    > SteveM
    >
    > s d m c c at i h u g dot c o dot n z.

    Hmm, the face plate looks to be integral to the drive?

    It seems to identify as:
    Disk Type : CD-Rom Data
    Peripheral Type : ATAPI
    Model : HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4240N

    .... if that helps?

    JohnO, Jan 25, 2006
  8. JohnO

    EMB Guest

    JohnO wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >
    >>JohnO wrote:
    >>
    >>>Need a replacement for a notebook - who supplies these mail-order in
    >>>NZ?

    >>Will a used one do? There may be a couple kicking around here by next week.
    >>
    >>--
    >>EMB

    > Used sounds great. Are you in Akl?

    Yep - I'll know by about Wed next week when I see what's left over after
    we return some machines at the end of their lease.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Jan 25, 2006
  9. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > JohnO wrote:
    > > EMB wrote:

    > >>Will a used one do? There may be a couple kicking around here by next week.
    > >>
    > >>--
    > >>EMB

    > > Used sounds great. Are you in Akl?
    > >

    > Yep - I'll know by about Wed next week when I see what's left over after
    > we return some machines at the end of their lease.
    >
    > --
    > EMB

    Cool - let me know!

    Cheers,
    JohnO

    JohnO, Jan 25, 2006
  10. JohnO

    SteveM Guest

    "JohnO" <> wrote in

    > SteveM wrote:
    >> "JohnO" <> wrote in news:1138149890.166782.193040
    >> @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
    >>
    >> > Need a replacement for a notebook - who supplies these mail-order
    >> > in NZ?
    >> >
    >> > TIA,
    >> > JohnO
    >> >

    >> I may have one depending on model you need and how the current
    >> faceplate is attached to the drive.
    >> The hardest part is finding a brand of drive that uses the same clips
    >> etc for the front face. 99% of all drives will fit into the case, but
    >> if you can't transfer the old drives front face to the new drive then
    >> it will not look too good..........
    >>
    >> SteveM
    >>
    >> s d m c c at i h u g dot c o dot n z.

    > Hmm, the face plate looks to be integral to the drive?
    >
    > It seems to identify as:
    > Disk Type : CD-Rom Data
    > Peripheral Type : ATAPI
    > Model : HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4240N
    >
    > ... if that helps?

    Yes that helps a lot.
    Found an ebay auction with a good front view of that drive without the
    front face.

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DVD-CD-DRIVE-Modelno-GCC-4240N-5V-for-
    Laptop_W0QQitemZ6808333302QQcategoryZ38116QQcmdZViewItem

    http://tinyurl.com/anpje

    I have a Toshiba DVD/CD drive that has the same mounting holes as your face
    plate. It's not a writer (CD or DVD) though......
    Funnily enough, it was originally out of a Dell laptop. I brought it to
    use in a SFF desktop but never got around to using it.

    Anyway yours if you want it for $50 + P&P.

    If in Auckland you are welcome to come round and i'll fit it for you too.

    SteveM

    SteveM, Jan 26, 2006