    markings on the keys. I bought a nice Belkin (IIRC) keyboard a while
    ago for another PC, similar in appearance to the DSE keyboards, but
    nicer feel, but I can't find one of those now.
    GraB, Nov 1, 2005

  2. GraB

    shannon Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > One thing I envy about Apple computers are their very compact and
    > attractive keyboards. I would like to economise on desktop space and
    > get a compact no-frills keyboard like the ones that come with Apples
    > but there doesn't seem to be anything like that around for PCs.
    >
    > At the moment having had a look at a few websites, Paradigm have quite
    > a nice compact no-frills Gigabyte keyboard which has the full-size
    > reverse L-shaped ENTER key I like but has a whole lot of extra
    > markings on the keys. I bought a nice Belkin (IIRC) keyboard a while
    > ago for another PC, similar in appearance to the DSE keyboards, but
    > nicer feel, but I can't find one of those now.

    The Genius KB19e NB keyboard is available at quite a few places.
    http://www.geniusnet.com.tw/product/product-1.asp?pdtno=382
    shannon, Nov 1, 2005

  3. GraB

    Robert Cooze Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > One thing I envy about Apple computers are their very compact and
    > attractive keyboards. I would like to economise on desktop space and
    > get a compact no-frills keyboard like the ones that come with Apples
    > but there doesn't seem to be anything like that around for PCs.
    >
    > At the moment having had a look at a few websites, Paradigm have quite
    > a nice compact no-frills Gigabyte keyboard which has the full-size
    > reverse L-shaped ENTER key I like but has a whole lot of extra
    > markings on the keys. I bought a nice Belkin (IIRC) keyboard a while
    > ago for another PC, similar in appearance to the DSE keyboards, but
    > nicer feel, but I can't find one of those now.

    I have seen a some time ago a short thin laptop style no neurmeric
    keypad on the side at pbteck in hamilton and there was a full sise one
    as well.
    I saw In Warehouse Stationary a Keybord (laptop style usb with usb hub)
    looked very slim and cool. about $45.ish.

    Robert Cooze, Nov 1, 2005
  4. GraB

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > One thing I envy about Apple computers are their very compact and
    > attractive keyboards. I would like to economise on desktop space and
    > get a compact no-frills keyboard like the ones that come with Apples
    > but there doesn't seem to be anything like that around for PCs.
    >
    > At the moment having had a look at a few websites, Paradigm have quite
    > a nice compact no-frills Gigabyte keyboard which has the full-size
    > reverse L-shaped ENTER key I like but has a whole lot of extra
    > markings on the keys.

    It will be like a laptop keyboard, able to be switched into a numeric
    keypad mode.
    Rob J, Nov 1, 2005
  5. GraB

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    GraB <> wrote:

    > One thing I envy about Apple computers are their very compact and
    > attractive keyboards. I would like to economise on desktop space and
    > get a compact no-frills keyboard like the ones that come with Apples
    > but there doesn't seem to be anything like that around for PCs.

    Apple keyboards since 1998 have been USB and work fine on PCs (and vice
    versa)

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
    Bruce Hoult, Nov 2, 2005
  6. GraB

    EMB Guest

    http://www.qmb.co.nz/p.aspx?102542

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Nov 2, 2005
  7. GraB

    EMB Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Bruce Hoult wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> GraB <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> One thing I envy about Apple computers are their very compact and
    >>> attractive keyboards. I would like to economise on desktop space and
    >>> get a compact no-frills keyboard like the ones that come with Apples
    >>> but there doesn't seem to be anything like that around for PCs.

    >> Apple keyboards since 1998 have been USB and work fine on PCs (and
    >> vice versa)
    >>

    > http://www.qmb.co.nz/p.aspx?102542

    or
    http://www.qmb.co.nz/p.aspx?103874

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Nov 2, 2005
  8. GraB

    thingy Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > One thing I envy about Apple computers are their very compact and
    > attractive keyboards. I would like to economise on desktop space and
    > get a compact no-frills keyboard like the ones that come with Apples
    > but there doesn't seem to be anything like that around for PCs.
    >
    > At the moment having had a look at a few websites, Paradigm have quite
    > a nice compact no-frills Gigabyte keyboard which has the full-size
    > reverse L-shaped ENTER key I like but has a whole lot of extra
    > markings on the keys. I bought a nice Belkin (IIRC) keyboard a while
    > ago for another PC, similar in appearance to the DSE keyboards, but
    > nicer feel, but I can't find one of those now.

    I use Apple USB keyboards on Dell's, but that is Linux which seems to
    have no issues using a Apple keyboard.........

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Nov 2, 2005
  9. GraB

    James West Guest

    http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/webapp...10001&productId=54410&crumb=10005-10198-10658

    also available as a KB only

    James West, Nov 4, 2005
  10. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 22:15:19 +1300, "James West" <>
    wrote:

    >http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/webapp...10001&productId=54410&crumb=10005-10198-10658
    >

    >also available as a KB only

    That is a MS keyboard and not very compact.

    >"GraB" <> wrote in message
    >> One thing I envy about Apple computers are their very compact and
    >> attractive keyboards. I would like to economise on desktop space and
    >> get a compact no-frills keyboard like the ones that come with Apples
    >> but there doesn't seem to be anything like that around for PCs.
    >>
    >> At the moment having had a look at a few websites, Paradigm have quite
    >> a nice compact no-frills Gigabyte keyboard which has the full-size
    >> reverse L-shaped ENTER key I like but has a whole lot of extra
    >> markings on the keys. I bought a nice Belkin (IIRC) keyboard a while
    >> ago for another PC, similar in appearance to the DSE keyboards, but
    >> nicer feel, but I can't find one of those now.

    I went into Magnum in Dunedin today and they confirmed their very
    compact keyboards are PC compatible. Their price was about $58.50 or
    $119 for the wireless one and the bluetooth USB adapter was $68. I
    will probably settle for the standard USB keyboard.
    GraB, Nov 4, 2005
  11. GraB

    riff Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > One thing I envy about Apple computers are their very compact and
    > attractive keyboards. I would like to economise on desktop space and
    > get a compact no-frills keyboard like the ones that come with Apples
    > but there doesn't seem to be anything like that around for PCs.
    >
    > At the moment having had a look at a few websites, Paradigm have quite
    > a nice compact no-frills Gigabyte keyboard which has the full-size
    > reverse L-shaped ENTER key I like but has a whole lot of extra
    > markings on the keys. I bought a nice Belkin (IIRC) keyboard a while
    > ago for another PC, similar in appearance to the DSE keyboards, but
    > nicer feel, but I can't find one of those now.

    I have used and like the IBM SK-8809 Compact Multi-media keyboard. Not sure
    on availability in NZ - found a few on google:
    http://www.surpluscomputers.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetail&item=ACC10882

    cheers, riff
    riff, Nov 4, 2005
  12. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 00:19:18 +1300, "riff" <> wrote:

    >"GraB" <> wrote in message
    >> One thing I envy about Apple computers are their very compact and
    >> attractive keyboards. I would like to economise on desktop space and
    >> get a compact no-frills keyboard like the ones that come with Apples
    >> but there doesn't seem to be anything like that around for PCs.
    >>
    >> At the moment having had a look at a few websites, Paradigm have quite
    >> a nice compact no-frills Gigabyte keyboard which has the full-size
    >> reverse L-shaped ENTER key I like but has a whole lot of extra
    >> markings on the keys. I bought a nice Belkin (IIRC) keyboard a while
    >> ago for another PC, similar in appearance to the DSE keyboards, but
    >> nicer feel, but I can't find one of those now.

    >I have used and like the IBM SK-8809 Compact Multi-media keyboard. Not sure
    >on availability in NZ - found a few on google:
    >http://www.surpluscomputers.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetail&item=ACC10882
    >
    >cheers, riff

    When I talk about compact I particularly want narrow, as in front to
    back. I upgraded from 15" CRT monitor to 19" CRT monitor and that is
    taking up a bit more space. My 10-yr-old Mitsumi Deluxe keyboard is
    rather broad, I could save up to 9cm of desk space as well as end up
    with a better keyboard with the Apple keyboard.
    GraB, Nov 4, 2005
  13. GraB

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 00:19:18 +1300, "riff" <> wrote:
    >

    > >"GraB" <> wrote in message
    > >> One thing I envy about Apple computers are their very compact and
    > >> attractive keyboards. I would like to economise on desktop space and
    > >> get a compact no-frills keyboard like the ones that come with Apples
    > >> but there doesn't seem to be anything like that around for PCs.
    > >>
    > >> At the moment having had a look at a few websites, Paradigm have quite
    > >> a nice compact no-frills Gigabyte keyboard which has the full-size
    > >> reverse L-shaped ENTER key I like but has a whole lot of extra
    > >> markings on the keys. I bought a nice Belkin (IIRC) keyboard a while
    > >> ago for another PC, similar in appearance to the DSE keyboards, but
    > >> nicer feel, but I can't find one of those now.

    > >I have used and like the IBM SK-8809 Compact Multi-media keyboard. Not sure
    > >on availability in NZ - found a few on google:
    > >http://www.surpluscomputers.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetail&item=ACC10882
    > >
    > >cheers, riff

    > When I talk about compact I particularly want narrow, as in front to
    > back. I upgraded from 15" CRT monitor to 19" CRT monitor and that is
    > taking up a bit more space. My 10-yr-old Mitsumi Deluxe keyboard is
    > rather broad, I could save up to 9cm of desk space as well as end up
    > with a better keyboard with the Apple keyboard.

    The basic Microsoft keyboard is quite compact in both directions and
    they are also splash resistant.
    Rob J, Nov 4, 2005
  14. GraB wrote:
    > One thing I envy about Apple computers are their very compact and
    > attractive keyboards. I would like to economise on desktop space and
    > get a compact no-frills keyboard like the ones that come with Apples
    > but there doesn't seem to be anything like that around for PCs.
    >
    > At the moment having had a look at a few websites, Paradigm have quite
    > a nice compact no-frills Gigabyte keyboard which has the full-size
    > reverse L-shaped ENTER key I like but has a whole lot of extra
    > markings on the keys. I bought a nice Belkin (IIRC) keyboard a while
    > ago for another PC, similar in appearance to the DSE keyboards, but
    > nicer feel, but I can't find one of those now.

    I got a nice i-rocks Apple like keyboard from PBTECH the other day. Even has
    and EL Backlight in it. bout $65

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    *Slow day Posts Blog*
    Collector»NZ, Nov 5, 2005
  15. GraB

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    GraB <> wrote:

    >When I talk about compact I particularly want narrow, as in front to
    >back. I upgraded from 15" CRT monitor to 19" CRT monitor and that is
    >taking up a bit more space. My 10-yr-old Mitsumi Deluxe keyboard is
    >rather broad, I could save up to 9cm of desk space as well as end up
    >with a better keyboard with the Apple keyboard.

    The smallest footprint keyboard with full-sized and full-travel keys that I
    know of is the IBM M2. It is only just larger than the area covered by the
    keys - 445 mm wide, 155 mm deep and 25 mm high at the rear, tapering to the
    front. It has a similar "clicky" action to the legendary IBM Model M
    keyboard, which you will love or hate - if you suffer from OOS/RSI, you
    really owe it to yourself to learn to love it.
    http://www.hi-ho.ne.jp/vine/keyboard/1395300/ has good pictures of it.

    It was sold with some models of IBM Aptiva and PS/1 PCs. You can sometimes
    find them on Trademe or at recycle centres for a couple of dollars. I have a
    few, but I place a higher value on them than most people are prepared to
    pay. If you must have a new one, they are available in the US.
    Try clickykeyboards.com or pckeyboard.com for pictures and prices.

    If you must have Windows keys, pckeyboard.com have a model EnduraPro 104
    which is a similar size to an M2 with Windows keys, choice of colour schemes
    and USB or PS/2 interface. US$99 plus shipping.

    I found a testimonial from a Wellingtonian on the clickykeyboards site:
    http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/pages.main/pageID/4

    I do "feel your pain" regarding CRT depths. In my case I went from 15" to 21"
    Trinitron. I had to build a custom keyboard shelf that slides out about 600
    mm from the desk in order to get far enough back.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    Don Hills, Nov 5, 2005
  16. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 15:13:15 +1200, (Don
    Hills) wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >GraB <> wrote:
    >>
    >>When I talk about compact I particularly want narrow, as in front to
    >>back. I upgraded from 15" CRT monitor to 19" CRT monitor and that is
    >>taking up a bit more space. My 10-yr-old Mitsumi Deluxe keyboard is
    >>rather broad, I could save up to 9cm of desk space as well as end up
    >>with a better keyboard with the Apple keyboard.

    >The smallest footprint keyboard with full-sized and full-travel keys that I
    >know of is the IBM M2. It is only just larger than the area covered by the
    >keys - 445 mm wide, 155 mm deep and 25 mm high at the rear, tapering to the
    >front. It has a similar "clicky" action to the legendary IBM Model M
    >keyboard, which you will love or hate - if you suffer from OOS/RSI, you
    >really owe it to yourself to learn to love it.
    >http://www.hi-ho.ne.jp/vine/keyboard/1395300/ has good pictures of it.
    >
    >It was sold with some models of IBM Aptiva and PS/1 PCs. You can sometimes
    >find them on Trademe or at recycle centres for a couple of dollars. I have a
    >few, but I place a higher value on them than most people are prepared to
    >pay. If you must have a new one, they are available in the US.
    >Try clickykeyboards.com or pckeyboard.com for pictures and prices.
    >
    >If you must have Windows keys, pckeyboard.com have a model EnduraPro 104
    >which is a similar size to an M2 with Windows keys, choice of colour schemes
    >and USB or PS/2 interface. US$99 plus shipping.
    >
    >I found a testimonial from a Wellingtonian on the clickykeyboards site:
    >http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/pages.main/pageID/4
    >

    >I do "feel your pain" regarding CRT depths. In my case I went from 15" to 21"
    >Trinitron. I had to build a custom keyboard shelf that slides out about 600
    >mm from the desk in order to get far enough back.

    Thanks for all that. The Apple keyboard is as wide and long as the
    keys - there is no overhang at all and there is no gap between the
    function keys at the back and the number keys so it is pretty narrow.
    One bonus is a couple of USB ports on the back of it.
    GraB, Nov 5, 2005
  17. GraB

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    GraB <> wrote:
    >Thanks for all that. The Apple keyboard is as wide and long as the
    >keys - there is no overhang at all and there is no gap between the
    >function keys at the back and the number keys so it is pretty narrow.
    >One bonus is a couple of USB ports on the back of it.

    I'll check it out - not because I need one, but because it's nice to know
    what's available if someone else asks.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    Don Hills, Nov 5, 2005