    Daniel Stephen
    Dannobyte Consulting
    Internet Studies Student (Curtin)
    Dan Stephen, Apr 10, 2005

  2. Dan Stephen

    me Guest

    what are the specs, and the primary software installed--OS, AV, etc.?

    me, Apr 10, 2005

  3. Dan Stephen

    Dan Stephen Guest

    The client is running XP Home.
    The unit is a HP Pavillion Ze4200 (with a small sticker that says ze4281)
    She tells me that she is using Nortons AV and that she updates it regularly.
    She also uses Ad-aware and Spybot, again regularly updated.

    My only idea is to reset the bios by removing the battery and then we can
    format the drive and start from scratch. Come to think of it I could boot up
    with Partition Magic and just format from there. The only problem is that
    she
    has some rather sentimental photos that she would rather keep.
    Dan Stephen, Apr 10, 2005
  4. Dan Stephen

    me Guest

    I agree--I think it is something to do with your antivirus program--I
    absolutely hate NAV and will not use it again.
    me, Apr 10, 2005
  5. Dan Stephen

    Dan Stephen Guest

    Thanks for the suggestions friends. I'm not a big fan of NAV myself.
    I use Avast and recommend it to my clients. It comes at the right
    price and it hasn't let me down yet.

    Dan Stephen, Apr 10, 2005
  6. Dan Stephen

    Dan Stephen Guest

    No, it won't boot into safe mode.
    Once the error message appears the system locks up solid. When I try to boot
    from xp cd I get as far as the request for the Admin password and that's it.
    The client does not remember it. She has had me try everything she can think
    of but with no success. Is it worth trying to get this system going or just
    format and re-install?

    I've looked through the NAV support site and can find nothing even close to
    my problem.

    Dan Stephen, Apr 10, 2005
  7. Dan Stephen

    AG Guest

    See if you can boot something like Knoppix or another Linux on a disk like
    DSL. If you can boot Knoppix you can use it to burn her wanted files to a
    disk, it has a burning program.
    It could be a hardware problem. I've seen lots of those things that had bad
    power supplies and there's no end of symptoms that can be caused by the PS.

    AG

    AG, Apr 10, 2005
  8. Dan Stephen wrote:

    > Thanks for the suggestions friends. I'm not a big fan of NAV myself.
    > I use Avast and recommend it to my clients. It comes at the right
    > price and it hasn't let me down yet.
    >

    > Daniel Stephen
    > Dannobyte Consulting
    > Internet Studies Student (Curtin)

    I know a lot of people who use the free version of AVG from Grisoft -
    very much at the right price and works great. We use a licenced
    corporate version for all out servers (25).
    StuffJustHappens, Apr 10, 2005
  9. Dan Stephen wrote:

    > No, it won't boot into safe mode.
    > Once the error message appears the system locks up solid. When I try to boot
    > from xp cd I get as far as the request for the Admin password and that's it.
    > The client does not remember it. She has had me try everything she can think
    > of but with no success. Is it worth trying to get this system going or just
    > format and re-install?
    >
    > I've looked through the NAV support site and can find nothing even close to
    > my problem.
    >
    > Daniel Stephen
    > Dannobyte Consulting
    > Internet Studies Student (Curtin)

    Use something like Ultimate Boot CD to reset the admin password to <blank>

    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

    And/or see here: http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm

    I have used this method with XP.

    Also look at using the recovery console:

    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxprcons.htm

    From here you can disable certain drivers/system run apps so that they
    do not immediately crash on boot - I had to do this once when a customer
    managed to install a Windows 2000 tape driver onto XP.
    StuffJustHappens, Apr 10, 2005