    Can anyone tell me how best to do this?

    Cheers.

    Bobby
    Bobby, Apr 8, 2005

  2. Bobby

    Mark W Guest

    "Bobby" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I want to extract a portion of an MP3 file.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how best to do this?
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > Bobby

    What is the MP3 file and which portion do you want? It all depends, you see.
    Mark W, Apr 8, 2005

  3. Bobby

    Bobby Guest

    Not sure what you mean.

    It's a standard MP3 file (spoken not music) and I want to extract a portion
    of it.

    Cheers.

    Bobby

    Bobby, Apr 8, 2005
  4. Bobby

    P Pron Guest

    Bobby wrote:
    > Not sure what you mean.

    Neither is anyone else.....

    > It's a standard MP3 file (spoken not music) and I want to extract a
    > portion of it.

    *MP3 Direct Cut* - free from http://www.mpesch3.de/ is excellent for mp3
    editing - and dead easy to use
    hth
    paul

    P Pron, Apr 8, 2005
  5. Bobby wrote:

    > I want to extract a portion of an MP3 file.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how best to do this?
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > Bobby

    Check out Audacity (audacity.sf.net); it's a free, open source sound
    editor (similar to Symantec's Cool Edit Pro, a great old product
    swallowed up and re-released by Adobe). I think it's fairly intuitive,
    but if you have questions just post. Also, regardless of which product
    you use, be sure to backup your original MP3 and work on that. Every
    product that edits MP3's must first decompress them to WAV then
    re-encode them back to MP3 (a lossy format). Given the choice, I'd
    recommend keeping your sound files in lossless compression formats like
    Shorten (SHN) or Flac.
    Nicholas Andrade, Apr 9, 2005
  6. Bobby

    Rick Guest

    "Nicholas Andrade" <> wrote in message
    > Bobby wrote:
    >
    >> I want to extract a portion of an MP3 file.
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me how best to do this?
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>
    >> Bobby

    > Check out Audacity (audacity.sf.net); it's a free, open source sound
    > editor (similar to Symantec's Cool Edit Pro, a great old product swallowed
    > up and re-released by Adobe). I think it's fairly intuitive, but if you
    > have questions just post. Also, regardless of which product you use, be
    > sure to backup your original MP3 and work on that. Every product that
    > edits MP3's must first decompress them to WAV then re-encode them back to
    > MP3 (a lossy format). Given the choice, I'd recommend keeping your sound
    > files in lossless compression formats like Shorten (SHN) or Flac.

    There is no need to recompress an mp3, you can just edit out the portion you
    need and retain its original encoding. MP3Trim isn't free but if you can
    find a copy then it will cut any part of the mp3 you want, however it will
    only trim from specific points (much like when you edit an .mpg video file
    where it will have "compression markers") which will restrict your choices
    of where to edit from but these are barely half a second out in practice.
    Rick, Apr 9, 2005
  7. Bobby

    Jay G. Guest

    On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 03:54:42 GMT, Nicholas Andrade wrote:

    > Bobby wrote:
    >
    >> I want to extract a portion of an MP3 file.
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me how best to do this?
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>
    >> Bobby
    >>

    > Check out Audacity (audacity.sf.net); it's a free, open source sound
    > editor (similar to Symantec's Cool Edit Pro, a great old product
    > swallowed up and re-released by Adobe). I think it's fairly intuitive,
    > but if you have questions just post. Also, regardless of which product
    > you use, be sure to backup your original MP3 and work on that. Every
    > product that edits MP3's must first decompress them to WAV then
    > re-encode them back to MP3 (a lossy format).

    Not necessarily. There are several mp3 editors that will allow you to cut
    and join mp3 files without decompression-recompression.

    A few that will do so:

    MP3 Direct Cut - http://www.mpesch3.de/
    BeSplit - http://besweet.notrace.dk/BeSplit.html
    MP3 Trackmaker - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/trackmaker.html

    -Jay
    Jay G., Apr 9, 2005
  8. "Bobby" <> wrote in message
    >I want to extract a portion of an MP3 file.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how best to do this?
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > Bobby

    Use the trial version of Goldwave. Drag your mp3 into it from a folder, cut,
    chop, change, add, delete, virtually whatever you want then save the result
    in just about any format you like .

    simple really
    Dr Hackenbush, Apr 9, 2005
  9. Bobby

    Mook23 Guest

    "Bobby" <> wrote in message
    >I want to extract a portion of an MP3 file.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how best to do this?
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > Bobby

    Most decent sound editing progams will acomplish this task as they allow one
    to work with audio files of any format. CoolEdit does it (I think) as does
    Sound Forge. But if it's more of a one time thing, I think there are
    probably easier progams out there for you to use...
    Mook23, Apr 12, 2005
  10. In article <1jtup6pyjexqs$.1vlu7mnud5tn7$>,
    Jay G. <> wrote:
    >On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 03:54:42 GMT, Nicholas Andrade wrote:
    >
    >> Bobby wrote:
    >>
    >>> I want to extract a portion of an MP3 file.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone tell me how best to do this?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.
    >>>
    >>> Bobby
    >>>

    >> Check out Audacity (audacity.sf.net); it's a free, open source sound
    >> editor (similar to Symantec's Cool Edit Pro, a great old product
    >> swallowed up and re-released by Adobe). I think it's fairly intuitive,
    >> but if you have questions just post. Also, regardless of which product
    >> you use, be sure to backup your original MP3 and work on that. Every
    >> product that edits MP3's must first decompress them to WAV then
    >> re-encode them back to MP3 (a lossy format).

    >Not necessarily. There are several mp3 editors that will allow you to cut
    >and join mp3 files without decompression-recompression.
    >
    >A few that will do so:

    >MP3 Direct Cut - http://www.mpesch3.de/
    >BeSplit - http://besweet.notrace.dk/BeSplit.html
    >MP3 Trackmaker - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/trackmaker.html

    Will any of those allow editing of the mp3 without taking out
    the tags for the titles?

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
    Bill Vermillion, Apr 14, 2005