    souls and there are PLENTY of photographers. None, however, have caught on
    to how important the "virtual shop front" is nowadays.

    Rant over!

    Mike, Mar 7, 2006

  2. Mike

    miles Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > Wow! I have just spent an hour trying to find a professional photographer to
    > do a pretty straightforward studio shot of my parents with my wife and I for
    > a wedding anniversary present. The standard of the websites I have been
    > looking at is bad, bad, bad. Poorly laid out, heavy on flash and other such
    > nonsense, typefaces that hurt the eyes - I've seen it all.
    >
    > I must admit I am very surprised - I'd have thought that a user-friendly,
    > informative, well designed website was an absolute necessity for a pro these
    > days. Those that I have seen are next to useless -- and I'm still looking
    > for a photographer!!
    >
    > It's not as if I live in a back-of-the-woods area - I'm in a city of 300,000
    > souls and there are PLENTY of photographers. None, however, have caught on
    > to how important the "virtual shop front" is nowadays.

    A pro photographer maybe lousy at website design or even ad layout and
    content. I would tend to think that they would hire someone to create a
    website that does show off their work. Sounds like they'd be better off
    without their website.

    miles, Mar 7, 2006

  3. miles wrote:
    > Mike wrote:
    >> Wow! I have just spent an hour trying to find a professional
    >> photographer to do a pretty straightforward studio shot of my
    >> parents with my wife and I for a wedding anniversary present. The
    >> standard of the websites I have been looking at is bad, bad, bad.
    >> Poorly laid out, heavy on flash and other such nonsense, typefaces
    >> that hurt the eyes - I've seen it all.
    >>
    >> I must admit I am very surprised - I'd have thought that a
    >> user-friendly, informative, well designed website was an absolute
    >> necessity for a pro these days. Those that I have seen are next to
    >> useless -- and I'm still looking for a photographer!!
    >>
    >> It's not as if I live in a back-of-the-woods area - I'm in a city of
    >> 300,000 souls and there are PLENTY of photographers. None, however,
    >> have caught on to how important the "virtual shop front" is nowadays.

    > A pro photographer maybe lousy at website design or even ad layout and
    > content. I would tend to think that they would hire someone to
    > create a website that does show off their work. Sounds like they'd
    > be better off without their website.

    As a means of generating business, a website is absolutely useless unless
    you can afford extensive advertising to direct people to your website, or
    your company is so huge it is a household name.

    Lots of people with no experience of owning a website have no idea how
    little such a method contributes to the success of a small business. You
    MUST back it up with advertising in the press.

    Dennis Pogson, Mar 7, 2006
  4. Mike

    [BnH] Guest

    And you are in ? if you are willing to pay, a master portfolio is availiable
    @ http://www.yervant.com
    In most cases, your local Yellow pages should have a list of them or just
    visit your local uni and ask the photography teachers there.

    =bob=

    [BnH], Mar 7, 2006
  5. Mike

    Tesco News Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > Wow! I have just spent an hour trying to find a professional photographer
    > do a pretty straightforward studio shot of my parents with my wife and I
    > for
    > a wedding anniversary present. The standard of the websites I have been
    > looking at is bad, bad, bad. Poorly laid out, heavy on flash and other
    > such
    > nonsense, typefaces that hurt the eyes - I've seen it all.
    >
    > I must admit I am very surprised - I'd have thought that a user-friendly,
    > informative, well designed website was an absolute necessity for a pro
    > these
    > days. Those that I have seen are next to useless -- and I'm still looking
    > for a photographer!!
    >
    > It's not as if I live in a back-of-the-woods area - I'm in a city of
    > 300,000
    > souls and there are PLENTY of photographers. None, however, have caught on
    > to how important the "virtual shop front" is nowadays.
    >
    > Rant over!

    Hi.

    There are some excellent Pro photographers out there with superb websites.

    I am not one of them.

    If you had given some indication of your location, you might have been
    pointed in the right direction. Did you actually try any of the Trade
    Association websites for links.

    Roy G

    Tesco News, Mar 7, 2006
  6. Mike

    Bruce Lewis Guest

    "Mike" <> writes:

    > I must admit I am very surprised - I'd have thought that a user-friendly,
    > informative, well designed website was an absolute necessity for a pro these
    > days. Those that I have seen are next to useless -- and I'm still looking
    > for a photographer!!

    A good photographer likely has strong artistic opinions that have little
    to do with user-friendliness or being informative. The web is a medium
    that is unfriendly to those who want full control over aspect ratio,
    resolution and color. I actually find it unsurprising that many
    photographers' web sites are not well designed.

    Bruce Lewis, Mar 8, 2006