    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Nov 17, 2003

  2. Re: slightly-OT: need web page with LD vs. DVD screencapcomparisons

    in article X3cub.18200$, Grand Inquisitor at
    wrote on 11/17/03 2:36 PM:

    > Please help me, I don't own an LD player, but I would like to be
    > directed to a web page that has quality LD and DVD screencaps of movies,
    > preferably of the same shots. Anybody know of such a page?

    I hate it when someone posts a question and people respond with, "why would
    anyone want to do that?" when they don't really want to know why, but
    instead want to tell a person their opinion.

    That being said, why do you want to do that? ;)

    If you're looking to do a comparison of quality between the two, this won't
    be a good way to do it at all. Lots of problems...

    IMAGE COMPRESSION / QUALITY
    Any image would be posted on a Website would be a jpeg and probably
    compressed and scaled in such a way that the quality would be too low to
    make a comparison. One might be better than the other, but that isn't
    necessarily representative of the original source. Now while it is possible
    to do high quality jpeg compression and post them at full size, you're still
    dealing with image issues inherent in the capture process.

    DIFFERENT SOURCE FORMATS
    LD is analog video. DVD is digital video. The best way to import an image
    from a DVD is to pop the DVD in your drive and rip the frames you want
    keeping them in digital form the whole time.

    With LD, you'd play the video through a capture device where it is then
    digitized. This would reduce quality.

    Even if you decided to play both formats through to a video capture device,
    there are differences...with DVD, you can use component inputs if your
    device supports it. You can't do this with LD. If you use the lowest
    common denominator of s-video inputs then you're no longer playing DVD under
    optimal conditions...not to mention no progressive scan.

    Further complicating things is that with LD you may actually get a better
    image by using the composite inputs. The video capture device may process
    this video differently than s-video. You can use composite inputs for the
    DVD video, but again, you're not comparing optimal conditions.

    DIFFERENT SOURCE MATERIAL
    You'd want to make sure that the video you're comparing came from fair
    sources. If you're looking at a DVD that cam from a LD as a source, it's
    not going to be a fair comparison as if both were made from the same high
    quality masters that allowed both to max out on quality. Likewise it would
    be an unfair comparison if you were looking at a restored video on DVD
    versus the unrestored version on LD.

    MR_ED_of_Course, Nov 17, 2003

  3. MR_ED_of_Course wrote:

    > in article X3cub.18200$, Grand Inquisitor at
    > wrote on 11/17/03 2:36 PM:
    >

    >>Please help me, I don't own an LD player, but I would like to be
    >>directed to a web page that has quality LD and DVD screencaps of movies,
    >>preferably of the same shots. Anybody know of such a page?

    > I hate it when someone posts a question and people respond with, "why would
    > anyone want to do that?" when they don't really want to know why, but
    > instead want to tell a person their opinion.
    >
    > That being said, why do you want to do that? ;)

    Short answer: my own private curiosity. Want the long answer?

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Nov 17, 2003
  4. Grand Inquisitor

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote in message
    > Please help me, I don't own an LD player, but I would like to be
    > directed to a web page that has quality LD and DVD screencaps of

    movies,
    > preferably of the same shots. Anybody know of such a page?

    I don't know of any offhand.

    One problem with doing screencaps off laserdiscs is that if the LD in
    question is a CLV format disc, a screencap is going to be of only a
    half-resolution still-field, not a whole video frame, because that is
    the way that LD players with digital field memory freeze motion on CLV.
    So LD screencaps tend to look like utter garbage unless they are taken
    from CAV discs, even though the two formats look pretty much
    indistinguishable from one another when viewed at the proper playback
    speed.

    As a rule, LD vs. DVD screencaps are essentially meaningless. Even if
    the two discs were both mastered from the same video transfer, and even
    if the DVD were an early non-anamorphic disc, the LD screencap is going
    to look exponentially worse than the DVD screencap, whereas you might
    not see as drastic a difference watching them side-by-side.

    Joshua Zyber, Nov 18, 2003
  5. Re: slightly-OT: need web page with LD vs. DVD screencapcomparisons

    in article MQcub.18228$, Grand Inquisitor at
    wrote on 11/17/03 3:28 PM:

    > MR_ED_of_Course wrote:
    >
    >> in article X3cub.18200$, Grand Inquisitor at
    >> wrote on 11/17/03 2:36 PM:
    >>

    >>> Please help me, I don't own an LD player, but I would like to be
    >>> directed to a web page that has quality LD and DVD screencaps of movies,
    >>> preferably of the same shots. Anybody know of such a page?

    >> I hate it when someone posts a question and people respond with, "why would
    >> anyone want to do that?" when they don't really want to know why, but
    >> instead want to tell a person their opinion.
    >>
    >> That being said, why do you want to do that? ;)

    > Short answer: my own private curiosity. Want the long answer?

    Actually, I am kinda curious.

    MR_ED_of_Course, Nov 18, 2003
  6. MR_ED_of_Course wrote:
    >>Short answer: my own private curiosity. Want the long answer?

    > Actually, I am kinda curious.

    I always pined for a Laserdisc player but could never afford one. I
    mean, I really studied up on them. I would have been happy with just a
    basic player and a copy of the Criterion 2001 (maybe 8 1/2), but even
    that was beyond my financial grasp (minimum of $400 for a basic player
    and about $125 for the movie). I was like a guy pining for a shiny
    supercar in a magazine, then gets older and the car is considered an
    antique. I don't have a ton of disposable income these days (I'm still
    a young guy), and part of me wants to buy a cheap LD player off E-Bay
    and some movies, another part of me doesn't want to fork over the
    moolah. I guess I just wanted to see what I was missing all along.
    Plus, there are some movies that may never get a DVD release, but *may*
    be out on Laserdisc (like The Crowd, is that one on LD?).

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Nov 18, 2003
  7. Re: slightly-OT: need web page with LD vs. DVD screencapcomparisons

    in article IZfub.18354$, Grand Inquisitor at
    wrote on 11/17/03 7:03 PM:

    > MR_ED_of_Course wrote:
    >>> Short answer: my own private curiosity. Want the long answer?

    >> Actually, I am kinda curious.
    >>

    > I always pined for a Laserdisc player but could never afford one. I
    > mean, I really studied up on them. I would have been happy with just a
    > basic player and a copy of the Criterion 2001 (maybe 8 1/2), but even
    > that was beyond my financial grasp (minimum of $400 for a basic player
    > and about $125 for the movie). I was like a guy pining for a shiny
    > supercar in a magazine, then gets older and the car is considered an
    > antique. I don't have a ton of disposable income these days (I'm still
    > a young guy), and part of me wants to buy a cheap LD player off E-Bay
    > and some movies, another part of me doesn't want to fork over the
    > moolah. I guess I just wanted to see what I was missing all along.
    > Plus, there are some movies that may never get a DVD release, but *may*
    > be out on Laserdisc (like The Crowd, is that one on LD?).

    I can relate. I got a used LD player for free. It was an expensive unit
    just a few years before. It can play both sides without turning over, and
    plays CDs. I also was able to pick up some LDs at stores converting or
    going out of business.

    I don't think screen shots are going to help you, but perhaps if you can't
    go the eBay route downloading some of those versions that won't ever be on
    DVD might help. Then again, I'm seeing some LD players on eBay with a Buy
    it Now price of $10.

    MR_ED_of_Course, Nov 18, 2003