Slightly OT but nerdy enough for nz.comp geeks

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Waylon Smithers, Jun 29, 2004.

  1. Waylon Smithers, Jun 29, 2004

  2. Waylon Smithers wrote:
    > http://www-pw.physics.uiowa.edu/space-audio/
    > You can listen to the latest sounds from Saturn transmited from the Cassini
    > spacecraft, currently hanging around the neighbourhood.

    ummm sound in a vacuum... I'm sure I read something about this in 6th
    form physics...

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 29, 2004

  3. Waylon Smithers

    Seagull Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Waylon Smithers wrote:
    > > http://www-pw.physics.uiowa.edu/space-audio/
    > > You can listen to the latest sounds from Saturn transmited from the

    Cassini
    > > spacecraft, currently hanging around the neighbourhood.

    > ummm sound in a vacuum... I'm sure I read something about this in 6th
    > form physics...
    >
    > --
    > Dave Hall
    > http://www.dave.net.nz

    By coincidence I have just read this:

    A blonde was playing Trivial Pursuit one night.
    It was her turn, she rolled the dice and she
    landed on "Science & Nature". Her question was,
    "If you are in a vacuum and someone calls your
    name, can you hear it?"

    She thought for a time and then asked, "Is
    it on or off?"

    Seagull, Jun 29, 2004
  4. > ummm sound in a vacuum... I'm sure I read something about this in 6th
    > form physics...

    Ahh, things have progressed since you were in school then. It's called radio
    waves, received by the spacecraft and sent back to earth, then the data is
    processed into sound waves to listen to. Well that's what the man says - who
    has a James A Van Allen Professor of Physics (= so brainy he can't wear a
    hat or he'll overheat).

    Just like the images they take, it ain't a Kodak they've strapped onto the
    front of Cassini !

    ~!@#$%^&*()_+

    Millhouse : "We started out like Romeo and Juliet but it ended in tragedy."

    Waylon Smithers, Jun 30, 2004
  5. Waylon Smithers

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:15:08 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Waylon Smithers wrote:
    >> http://www-pw.physics.uiowa.edu/space-audio/ You can listen to the
    >> latest sounds from Saturn transmited from the Cassini spacecraft,
    >> currently hanging around the neighbourhood.

    > ummm sound in a vacuum... I'm sure I read something about this in 6th form
    > physics...

    Maybe Cassini is picking up a local radio station? ;)

    Anyway (going further off topic) I was just reading in the latest National
    Geographic article about the sun, how scientists are measuring the seismic
    sounds the sun makes to map out it's inner layers. Apparently it makes
    regular noises every 5 mins or so.

    Of course you can't 'hear' them from earth though, they have to be
    measured indirectly. The suns atmosphere does extend out past earth though.

    It's a fascinating article with great pictures.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jun 30, 2004
  6. Waylon Smithers wrote:
    >>ummm sound in a vacuum... I'm sure I read something about this in 6th
    >>form physics...

    > Ahh, things have progressed since you were in school then. It's called radio
    > waves, received by the spacecraft and sent back to earth, then the data is
    > processed into sound waves to listen to.

    gotcha... brain not in gear today.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 30, 2004
  7. I
    >Ahh, things have progressed since you were in school then. It's called radio
    >waves, received by the spacecraft and sent back to earth, then the data is
    >processed into sound waves to listen to. Well that's what the man says - who

    If you play the sound through a tactile transducer then you will be able to
    feel the sound of Saturn

    Steve Robertson, Jun 30, 2004
  8. In article <>,
    dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz says...
    > Waylon Smithers wrote:
    > > http://www-pw.physics.uiowa.edu/space-audio/
    > > You can listen to the latest sounds from Saturn transmited from the Cassini
    > > spacecraft, currently hanging around the neighbourhood.

    > ummm sound in a vacuum... I'm sure I read something about this in 6th
    > form physics...

    Oh man, have you never watched Starwars? All those neat x-wing fighters
    going neeeaaaaaaah chugga chugga chugga vooooooooommmmmmmmmmmm?
    (not to mention banking into their turns, using all that hard vacuum for
    uplift ?)

    'Merican science works different[ly] from 6th form physics books <g>

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jun 30, 2004
  9. Waylon Smithers

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Peter Huebner <> wrote in

    > In article <>,
    > dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz says...
    >> Waylon Smithers wrote:
    >> > http://www-pw.physics.uiowa.edu/space-audio/
    >> > You can listen to the latest sounds from Saturn transmited from the
    >> > Cassini spacecraft, currently hanging around the neighbourhood.

    >> ummm sound in a vacuum... I'm sure I read something about this in 6th
    >> form physics...
    >>

    > Oh man, have you never watched Starwars? All those neat x-wing
    > fighters going neeeaaaaaaah chugga chugga chugga
    > vooooooooommmmmmmmmmmm? (not to mention banking into their turns,
    > using all that hard vacuum for uplift ?)
    >
    > 'Merican science works different[ly] from 6th form physics books <g>
    >
    > -P.

    Even Babylon 5 spacecraft made sounds. If anything was going to get it
    right....
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jun 30, 2004
  10. Peter Huebner wrote:
    >>>http://www-pw.physics.uiowa.edu/space-audio/
    >>>You can listen to the latest sounds from Saturn transmited from the Cassini
    >>>spacecraft, currently hanging around the neighbourhood.

    >>ummm sound in a vacuum... I'm sure I read something about this in 6th
    >>form physics...

    > Oh man, have you never watched Starwars? All those neat x-wing fighters
    > going neeeaaaaaaah chugga chugga chugga vooooooooommmmmmmmmmmm?
    > (not to mention banking into their turns, using all that hard vacuum for
    > uplift ?)
    > 'Merican science works different[ly] from 6th form physics books <g>

    ok then, guess I should have taken media studies instead.

    This has sparked a long and intricate discussion in my work place about
    whether or not the wings were needed.

    We have found from memory, that the X-wing also took off like a harrier
    jump jet, but may have needed the wings for additional lift to get out
    into space.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 30, 2004
  11. Peter Huebner <> scoffed:
    > (not to mention banking into their turns, using all that hard vacuum for
    > uplift ?)

    If it's good enough for Klingons & Romulans ....
    note that Federation ships rarely bank for turning

    J.Random Luser, Jun 30, 2004
  12. J.Random Luser wrote:
    >>(not to mention banking into their turns, using all that hard vacuum for
    >>uplift ?)

    > If it's good enough for Klingons & Romulans ....
    > note that Federation ships rarely bank for turning

    I always find it amazing that they all "fly" up the same way... surely
    if they all have "internal gravity", then it shouldn't matter.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 30, 2004
  13. Waylon Smithers

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 12:23:46 +0000, Dave Taylor wrote:

    > Even Babylon 5 spacecraft made sounds. If anything was going to get it
    > right....

    I've never watched Babylon 5 (so this could be total bollocks, or refer to
    a different programme/movie altogether), but I did read one sci fi geek
    saying that you never heard the sounds when the camera was out in space
    only when it was in the cockpit. Apparently the ships sensors provided
    audible feedback to the pilots for situational awareness.

    And as for banking in space, that might kinda work if there was a big
    thruster under the ship - the little thrusters rotate the ship so the big
    thruster can do the real work. Even then it wouldn't look like WW1
    dogfights though :)

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jun 30, 2004
  14. AD. wrote:
    > And as for banking in space, that might kinda work if there was a big
    > thruster under the ship - the little thrusters rotate the ship so the big
    > thruster can do the real work. Even then it wouldn't look like WW1
    > dogfights though :)

    and surely they'd have sheilds, so no need to move out of the way, and
    lazers that tracked the ships movements anyway...

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 30, 2004
  15. Waylon Smithers

    Disco Stu Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > and surely they'd have sheilds, so no need to move out of the way, and
    > lazers that tracked the ships movements anyway...

    I don't know about Babylon 5, but the Incom T-65 X-wing Starfighter is
    fitted with a system of etheric rudders that change thrust vectors that
    allow for increased combat maneuverability.

    Official sources claim it is fitted with lasers, but this claim I find
    dubious as the energy projected is not constant and apparently not at
    light speed. I believe they are actually armed with some kind of
    'blaster' cannon.

    Disco Stu, Jul 1, 2004
  16. Waylon Smithers

    Dogg Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 17:39:10 +1200, Disco Stu
    <stu@springfield_dance_studio.com> wrote:

    >Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> and surely they'd have sheilds, so no need to move out of the way, and
    >> lazers that tracked the ships movements anyway...

    >I don't know about Babylon 5, but the Incom T-65 X-wing Starfighter is
    >fitted with a system of etheric rudders that change thrust vectors that
    >allow for increased combat maneuverability.
    >
    >Official sources claim it is fitted with lasers, but this claim I find
    >dubious as the energy projected is not constant and apparently not at
    >light speed. I believe they are actually armed with some kind of
    >'blaster' cannon.

    Except that the 'Ether' was proved not to exist over 100 years ago....

    Dogg, Jul 1, 2004
  17. Waylon Smithers

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 08:34:38 +1200, Dogg wrote:

    > Except that the 'Ether' was proved not to exist over 100 years ago....

    They only said that to stop the kids getting high on it during chemistry
    classes! ;)

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jul 1, 2004
  18. Waylon Smithers

    Disco Stu Guest

    Dogg wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 17:39:10 +1200, Disco Stu
    > <stu@springfield_dance_studio.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>

    >>>and surely they'd have sheilds, so no need to move out of the way, and
    >>>lazers that tracked the ships movements anyway...

    >>I don't know about Babylon 5, but the Incom T-65 X-wing Starfighter is
    >>fitted with a system of etheric rudders that change thrust vectors that
    >>allow for increased combat maneuverability.
    >>
    >>Official sources claim it is fitted with lasers, but this claim I find
    >>dubious as the energy projected is not constant and apparently not at
    >>light speed. I believe they are actually armed with some kind of
    >>'blaster' cannon.

    > Except that the 'Ether' was proved not to exist over 100 years ago....

    You're lack of faith in the force is disturbing.

    Disco Stu, Jul 1, 2004
  19. > You're lack of faith in the force is disturbing.

    This thread is disturbing !!

    It's giving ammunition for those who think the www is populated by people
    like cartoon book store guy form the Simpsons... hahaha.

    ~!@#$^&*()_+

    Millhouse; "We started out like Romeo and Juliet but it ended in tragedy."

    Waylon Smithers, Jul 2, 2004
  20. Waylon Smithers wrote:
    >>You're lack of faith in the force is disturbing.

    > This thread is disturbing !!
    > It's giving ammunition for those who think the www is populated by people
    > like cartoon book store guy form the Simpsons... hahaha.

    says the guy who uses the name of a charactor for his handle.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 2, 2004