slight problem while making a network between two computers(again!)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by giddy, Apr 8, 2008.

  1. giddy

    giddy Guest

    hi,

    I'm terribly sorry I'm making this post again, I did make a post
    earlier and somehow got a network done between my PC and laptop, i did
    make a few notes on how I did it all, but now it seems i'm stuck
    again!

    I'll be much clearer this time,

    I have one desktop pc, one latop. The desktop has two LAN cards the
    laptop has one.

    Lan1 on my desktop connects to the internet,I've set it to share its
    conection.
    Lan2 on my desktop is on my PCI and I've set the IP to 192.168.0.1,
    Sub mask:2552552550

    The Lan on the laptop is set to obtain the IP automatically, i can see
    DHCP is enabled.

    Both computers are set to ONE work group (GIDGROUP) and have a
    separate computer name for each.

    however, when i connect the two with a UTP cable on the desktop the
    Lan2 on the desktop says its unplugged and the Lan on the laptop says
    Limited or no connectivity?

    What exactly is the problem then? I did notice the Lan on the laptop
    gets/obtains a very odd IP address?? When i check details on the
    property sheet to the Lan, the IP says : 169.254.79.75? Way different
    from Desktop Lan1s IP??

    Would really appreciate some help!

    Thanks so much
    Gideon

    giddy, Apr 8, 2008

  2. giddy

    giddy Guest

    Re: slight problem while making a network between twocomputers(again!)

    hi,

    Thanks for your reply.

    A router would be more or less a waste of money because I have
    everything I need! and I need the network only for some time before I
    move, its temporary.

    What exactly is the advantage of the router? Beside the slight ease in
    setup?

    Do you think the Lan2 on my desktop is bad, the Leds on it don't light
    up like they used to and no matter what I do it says its unplugged?

    yes, it is a crossover cable.

    Thanks
    Gideon

    giddy, Apr 8, 2008

  3. giddy

    Dave Guest

    On Apr 8, 3:09 am, giddy <> wrote:
    > hi,
    >
    > I'm terribly sorry I'm making this post again, I did make a post
    > earlier and somehow got a network done between my PC and laptop, i did
    > make a few notes on how I did it all, but now it seems i'm stuck
    > again!
    >
    > I'll be much clearer this time,
    >
    > I have one desktop pc, one latop. The desktop has two LAN cards the
    > laptop has one.
    >
    > Lan1 on my desktop connects to the internet,I've set it to share its
    > conection.
    > Lan2 on my desktop is on my PCI and I've set the IP to 192.168.0.1,
    > Sub mask:2552552550
    >
    > The Lan on the laptop is set to obtain the IP automatically, i can see
    > DHCP is enabled.
    >
    > Both computers are set to ONE work group (GIDGROUP) and have a
    > separate computer name for each.
    >
    > however, when i connect the two with a UTP cable on the desktop the
    > Lan2 on the desktop says its unplugged and the Lan on the laptop says
    > Limited or no connectivity?
    >
    > What exactly is the problem then? I did notice the Lan on the laptop
    > gets/obtains a very odd IP address?? When i check details on the
    > property sheet to the Lan, the IP says : 169.254.79.75? Way different
    > from Desktop Lan1s IP??
    >
    > Would really appreciate some help!
    >
    > Thanks so much
    > Gideon

    I would certainly echo the other comment. Use a router. Then you
    won't have to keep the desktop turned on just to use the laptop, for
    example. (At today's prices for electricity, there are some economics
    in that!) Routers are not that expensive, certainly your time isn't
    free either.

    Dave, Apr 8, 2008
  4. giddy

    giddy Guest

    Re: slight problem while making a network between twocomputers(again!)

    hi,

    Thanks for your reply.

    I have been told before to go by a router but down here LAN cards cost
    around $4-$8 and a router would cost over $50! and I can really afford
    anything after i got a laptop worth $650+ And like i said, I need the
    share only for a few months.

    Anyway, I've done this before with a borrowed laptop!! It worked, i
    was able to share files and my connection, I'm not sure whats wrong
    this time.

    I gave the Lan2 card for a checkup to see if its working, it keeps
    saying its unplugged!

    DeskRabbit, could you rephrase if i've not mentioned what you need
    please? My Lan1card is inbuilt into my motherboard, is a Realtek and I
    have a Broadband internet running on it.

    Thanks so much
    Gideon

    giddy, Apr 8, 2008
  5. giddy

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 06:36:41 -0700 (PDT), giddy wrote:

    >hi,
    >
    >Thanks for your reply.

    :) really have to go with vote 3 for a router, it's so much easier.

    >I have been told before to go by a router but down here LAN cards cost

    'down where', that's an expensive router isn't it?

    >around $4-$8 and a router would cost over $50! and I can really afford

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Apr 8, 2008
  6. giddy

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 02:09:10 -0700 (PDT), giddy wrote:

    >hi,
    >
    >I'm terribly sorry I'm making this post again, I did make a post
    >earlier and somehow got a network done between my PC and laptop, i did
    >make a few notes on how I did it all, but now it seems i'm stuck
    >again!
    >
    >I'll be much clearer this time,
    >
    >I have one desktop pc, one latop. The desktop has two LAN cards the
    >laptop has one.

    The hard way :)

    >Lan1 on my desktop connects to the internet,I've set it to share its
    >conection.

    What version of Windows? So this is ICS sharing?

    >Lan2 on my desktop is on my PCI and I've set the IP to 192.168.0.1,
    >Sub mask:2552552550

    255.255.255.0

    <groan> It's often mention, using the Network Setup Wizards </groan>

    Wouldn't ICS take care of this automagically, you need to set a value? I
    have never used ICS but isn't the point share Lan1/Desktop to
    Lan2/Desktop without you forcing an IP. ICS should be serving out IP
    addresses not you. BTW I have never used ICS.

    >The Lan on the laptop is set to obtain the IP automatically, i can see
    >DHCP is enabled.

    Fine.

    >Both computers are set to ONE work group (GIDGROUP) and have a
    >separate computer name for each.

    Fine.

    >however, when i connect the two with a UTP cable on the desktop the

    Ok crossover mentioned later. Tested cable and it's okay?

    >Lan2 on the desktop says its unplugged and the Lan on the laptop says
    >Limited or no connectivity?
    >
    >What exactly is the problem then? I did notice the Lan on the laptop
    >gets/obtains a very odd IP address?? When i check details on the
    >property sheet to the Lan, the IP says : 169.254.79.75? Way different

    This is the APIPA address,
    http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/protocolsdhcp/g/bldef_apipa.htm

    From about Win 2000 on, there is static IP, DHCP, and Alternate
    Configuration. TCP/IP Properties / the Alt Config tab. / Automatic
    private IP address.

    It's meant to make home networking easier by agreeing across the PCs
    what addresses to use when there is no DHCP server.

    >from Desktop Lan1s IP??
    >
    >Would really appreciate some help!

    Do you really want the LAN home networking links posted all over again?

    Ah good thought not.

    You can get then by searching 24HSHD,

    home network links

    From: why?
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: Re: Going Wireless
    Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 12:40:14 GMT

    Search for the message ID here,
    http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?q=&

    Me

    why?, Apr 8, 2008
  7. giddy

    giddy Guest

    Re: slight problem while making a network between twocomputers(again!)

    aha! "wireless dongle".. awesome!

    Thats the perfect solution, but sadly, down here, most of the shops I
    asked didn't exactly know what I was talking about!!(You probably
    wouldn't want to know where down here is!) I might not be able to
    order one from amazon, so I guess I'll re check at better shops when I
    get my Lan card back tomorrow, I think it was probably bad? But the
    place I gave it to are not completely sure!

    Anyway, thanks so much for your replies.I hope it turns out well.

    Gideon

    giddy, Apr 9, 2008
  9. giddy

    giddy Guest

    Re: slight problem while making a network between twocomputers(again!)

    ok, as always my computing ventures take a very unexpected twist.

    Lan2 on the desktop was faulty, I bought a new one.

    Now i connected everything, I could finally ping my desktop from my
    laptop . The internet sharing wasn't working at all **until** I put
    entered my DNS numbers into my LAPTOPS LAN.

    NOW, after that it worked for 2 mins and my whole internet connection
    itself stopped working then, IOW i didn't have internet working on my
    desktop anymore! I struggled for 2 hours, even called my ISP and tried
    all sorts of things, and now found out, that WHEN i plug my laptop IN
    my whole connection jams, I Can still ping my ISP gateway but the DNS
    servers don't respond, so yes, i took off the DNS's off my laptops lan
    and the same thing still happens. The second I connect the laptop I
    can't ping my DNS's from my desktop and the second I plug it OUT I can
    ping them and everything works fine!! What exactly is going on!!

    Also, I've set to share files and they still don't show up on my
    Network places, If i'm correct i chose sharing and security in a
    folders property sheet and had it shared? Well, it still doesn't show?

    Here are my settings

    Desktop:
    LAN1[<myIP><MASK><Gateway>] [PreferredDNS,Alt DNS]-->Connects to
    Broadband Internet, ICS enabled. (Should I enable DHCP here? Makes no
    Diff?)
    LAN2[<192.168.0.1><255.255.255.0><myIP>]

    Laptop:
    LAN[<192.168.0.4><255.255.255.0><192.168.0.1>][Should I have those
    DNS's here??]

    ALSO, my earlier LAN when it was installed has 192.168.0.1 on my
    desktop, so when I give my new card the same IP windows warns me but i
    ignore it.If i do change Lan2 to say 192.168.0.2 and change the laptop
    Lan accordingly I can't even ping the desktop anymore??

    Would someone please help, I'm losing my mind here!! X0

    Thanks so much
    Gideon

    giddy, Apr 10, 2008
  10. giddy

    giddy Guest

    Re: slight problem while making a network between twocomputers(again!)

    Is this part of the madness of WinXp x64? Because thats what I have on
    the laptop(and yes I'm going to take it off soon)

    giddy, Apr 10, 2008
  11. giddy

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:05:11 -0700 (PDT), giddy wrote:

    >Is this part of the madness of WinXp x64? Because thats what I have on
    >the laptop(and yes I'm going to take it off soon)

    Well it's really handy to mention that now. Or it's annoying can't
    decide which.

    2 bits of advice,

    Get a router.

    Ditch XP x64, it' not worth the hassle you have or are trying to fix via
    usenet.

    BTW (a) Never would even dream of trying XP x64 with ICS, and it does
    work using a router setup.

    (b) It's a good OS.

    (c) You didn't mentioned the PC OS.

    Hire somone to fix it.

    Me

    why?, Apr 11, 2008
  12. giddy

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 10:52:50 -0700 (PDT), giddy wrote:

    >ok, as always my computing ventures take a very unexpected twist.
    >
    >Lan2 on the desktop was faulty, I bought a new one.
    >
    >Now i connected everything, I could finally ping my desktop from my
    >laptop . The internet sharing wasn't working at all **until** I put
    >entered my DNS numbers into my LAPTOPS LAN.

    True.

    >NOW, after that it worked for 2 mins and my whole internet connection
    >itself stopped working then, IOW i didn't have internet working on my
    >desktop anymore! I struggled for 2 hours, even called my ISP and tried
    >all sorts of things, and now found out, that WHEN i plug my laptop IN
    >my whole connection jams, I Can still ping my ISP gateway but the DNS

    Check NICs, cables, port speeds, get rif of the fixed IPS, DNS entries
    you put in.

    >servers don't respond, so yes, i took off the DNS's off my laptops lan
    >and the same thing still happens. The second I connect the laptop I
    >can't ping my DNS's from my desktop and the second I plug it OUT I can
    >ping them and everything works fine!! What exactly is going on!!
    >
    >Also, I've set to share files and they still don't show up on my
    >Network places, If i'm correct i chose sharing and security in a
    >folders property sheet and had it shared? Well, it still doesn't show?

    Then map a network drive.

    >Here are my settings
    >
    >Desktop:
    >LAN1[<myIP><MASK><Gateway>] [PreferredDNS,Alt DNS]-->Connects to
    >Broadband Internet, ICS enabled. (Should I enable DHCP here? Makes no

    Yes, since it's causing you confusion about IPs, DNS. Let the ICS DHCP
    create the IPs for LAN2 / Laptop.

    >Diff?)
    >LAN2[<192.168.0.1><255.255.255.0><myIP>]
    >
    >Laptop:

    Running Win XP x64.

    >LAN[<192.168.0.4><255.255.255.0><192.168.0.1>][Should I have those
    >DNS's here??]

    Yes, the laptop with no DNS entries will have problems.

    >ALSO, my earlier LAN when it was installed has 192.168.0.1 on my
    >desktop, so when I give my new card the same IP windows warns me but i

    Warns you with what message? This is getting too much like work now. Got
    hassled about a supposed network issue, it wasn't called to helpdesk,
    but as a complaint in a management meeting. I asked when did the fault
    happen, there are no other calls. Answer was 12 and 2 weeks ago. Silly
    people.

    >ignore it.If i do change Lan2 to say 192.168.0.2 and change the laptop
    >Lan accordingly I can't even ping the desktop anymore??

    Argh missing info, again. Change the Lan2 and laptop to what?

    >Would someone please help, I'm losing my mind here!! X0

    That would be much better,.

    How is it this hard?

    Desktop LAN1 - ISP settings 1 network.

    Desktop LAN2 - ICS settings form a 2nd network
    Laptop LAN - ICS

    Do some reading on

    ipconfig/all

    route print

    both of those work at the command line.

    >Thanks so much
    >Gideon

    Me

    why?, Apr 11, 2008
  13. giddy

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 10:01:49 +1000, Gaius Baltar wrote:

    >On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 10:52:50 -0700 (PDT), giddy <>
    >wrote:
    >>Would someone please help, I'm losing my mind here!! X0

    >Spare yourself and all of us the pain and PAY to get some professional
    >help i.e. hire a technician

    2nd that.

    Did you see the post saying the laptop is XP x64? What a stupid time to
    mention that.

    Me

    why?, Apr 11, 2008