Slight prob!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dave, May 18, 2006.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Hi,
    I have a problem that although not drastic, is a little annoying.

    My PC has an AMD 64 3500 cpu, 256mb Ge force video card, running XP with all
    the updates.
    Software includes Norton Internet security and Works ( both 2006) and is
    updated regularly.

    Problem started a while ago and is mostly intermittent and is this: If I
    leave PC on all day and night the screen saver more often than not will
    freeze and the system becomes unresponsive and the only way to get it
    working properly again is to reboot.

    It works fine all the time I'm actually using it although I have noticed
    when playing Hammond's GP4 with all the graphics options used it sometimes
    "freezes" for a split second.

    Just wondered if anyone had a similar problem and could suggest a remedy.

    Many thanks

    Dave, May 18, 2006

  2. Dave

    old man Guest

    Maybe try updating graphics driver from manu site, not winupdate

    old man, May 18, 2006

  3. Hi Dave

    !RAM!
    One gig? The processor is fast enough....hmmmm....

    The only thing I possibly see as a problem, is NORTON. I would
    NOT put that piece of shit code on my computer, nor any computer
    on my network, and especially on any of my clients computers.

    Just last week, a newish client brought me his computer that was
    acting weird. My suspicion was lightening had got it. Before the
    hard drive went belly up, I slaved it to one of my setups and
    proceded to scan for malicious code. Kaspersky found NINE viruses
    and two worms, including seven trojans. This was from an UPDATED
    Norton. !I couldn't believe it! I found Norton's log files to
    make sure he wasn't blowing smoke, and sure enough, Norton was
    up to date. Client was not a happy camper. Client brought me
    his entire network of computers<five more>. Everyone of them had
    viruses, worms, and trojans. I wasn't a happy camper either. I
    have strep throat and warned him I was contagious. !He didn't
    care! He showed up wearing a mask and sporting a container of
    Clorox wipes...;oD What can you do? Of course I had to supervise,
    as I almost couldn't hold up my head...;o)

    I suspect Norton bogs down your computer's resources to the point
    of not performing to it's capabilities, especially if it is needing
    a reboot. I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time, but
    try disabling ALL of Norton, and see if that solves your problem.

    If that doesn't do the trick, maybe heat? Dust bunnies? Gremlins...
    ;o)

    @}-}-------Rosee, May 19, 2006