    Is there any free software out there to do the above?

    Thanks,
    GT

    GT, Nov 14, 2005

  2. GT wrote:
    > I have a subset of nearly 2000 photos on my PC, which I would like to
    > show as a slideshow. I would like the slide show to loop forever (not
    > stop at the end) and preferebly show the photos in a random order.
    > Even better would be if the software could do all this with photos in
    > several folders.
    > Is there any free software out there to do the above?

    Yes, probably dozens of programs! This is what I use, simply because I
    wrote it:

    http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/software/imaging.html#SlideShow

    You can create a list of images to show by drag-and-drop folders onto the
    slide sorter screen. The slide-show list is a text file, so can be
    edited.

    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 14, 2005

  3. On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 11:15:26 -0000, GT wrote:

    >I have a subset of nearly 2000 photos on my PC, which I would like to show
    >as a slideshow. I would like the slide show to loop forever (not stop at the
    >end) and preferebly show the photos in a random order. Even better would be
    >if the software could do all this with photos in several folders.
    >
    >Is there any free software out there to do the above?

    GT,

    Windows?

    Try its Windows picture and fax viewer. Doesn't do everything
    you want, but it works and is simple and free (provided you have
    Windows already).

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Nov 14, 2005
  4. GT

    Laurent Guest

    "GT" <> a écrit dans le message de news:
    437871d1$0$9482$...
    >I have a subset of nearly 2000 photos on my PC, which I would like to show
    >as a slideshow. I would like the slide show to loop forever (not stop at
    >the end) and preferebly show the photos in a random order. Even better
    >would be if the software could do all this with photos in several folders.
    >
    > Is there any free software out there to do the above?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > GT

    The first thing to know is on wich support you want to show them : PC, Mac,
    home DVD player (CD, VCD, SVCD, DVD)... And also with or without music ?

    Laurent
    --
    = http://www.laurent-roy.com = http://laurentroy.deviantart.com/store =

    Laurent, Nov 14, 2005
  5. GT

    poddys Guest

    Also Thumbs Plus by Cerios (http://www.cerious.com) will do a nice job
    with the slideshow.
    You can reduce images to full screen size, change the background,
    control other info to display, alter the display interval etc - plus of
    course do a lot of image manipulation.
    I have used it for 4 years and still very imrpessed.

    poddys, Nov 14, 2005
  6. GT

    GT Guest

    >>I have a subset of nearly 2000 photos on my PC, which I would like to show
    >>as a slideshow. I would like the slide show to loop forever (not stop at
    >>the end) and preferebly show the photos in a random order. Even better
    >>would be if the software could do all this with photos in several folders.
    >>

    > The first thing to know is on wich support you want to show them : PC,
    > Mac, home DVD player (CD, VCD, SVCD, DVD)... And also with or without
    > music ?

    I have a Windows XP PC. No photo CDs, DVD players or anything complicated,
    just looking for 'normal' software to slideshow photos on my hard disk.

    I would like something similar to the built-in "Windows Picture and Fax
    Viewer", but that can show the photos in a random order and continue to loop
    until I stop it. Also if it can handle photos from a number of folders, that
    would be a bonus.

    GT, Nov 14, 2005
  7. GT

    Celcius Guest

    "GT" <> wrote in message
    > >>I have a subset of nearly 2000 photos on my PC, which I would like to

    show
    > >>as a slideshow. I would like the slide show to loop forever (not stop at
    > >>the end) and preferebly show the photos in a random order. Even better
    > >>would be if the software could do all this with photos in several

    folders.

    > > The first thing to know is on wich support you want to show them : PC,
    > > Mac, home DVD player (CD, VCD, SVCD, DVD)... And also with or without
    > > music ?

    > I have a Windows XP PC. No photo CDs, DVD players or anything complicated,
    > just looking for 'normal' software to slideshow photos on my hard disk.
    >
    > I would like something similar to the built-in "Windows Picture and Fax
    > Viewer", but that can show the photos in a random order and continue to

    loop
    > until I stop it. Also if it can handle photos from a number of folders,

    that
    > would be a bonus.

    GT,
    Win XP has something called "My picture slideshow". It's not the best but is
    included.
    Marcel

    Celcius, Nov 14, 2005
  8. GT

    GT Guest

    > show

    > folders.
    >> >>
    >> > The first thing to know is on wich support you want to show them : PC,
    >> > Mac, home DVD player (CD, VCD, SVCD, DVD)... And also with or without
    >> > music ?

    >> I have a Windows XP PC. No photo CDs, DVD players or anything
    >> complicated,
    >> just looking for 'normal' software to slideshow photos on my hard disk.
    >>
    >> I would like something similar to the built-in "Windows Picture and Fax
    >> Viewer", but that can show the photos in a random order and continue to

    > loop
    >> until I stop it. Also if it can handle photos from a number of folders,

    > that
    >> would be a bonus.
    >>

    > GT,
    > Win XP has something called "My picture slideshow". It's not the best but
    > is
    > included.

    Where do I find this - its not on my Windows Menus? I did a quick Google for
    the term and just found some German websites!

    GT, Nov 14, 2005
  9. GT

    Donald Gray Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I have a subset of nearly 2000 photos on my PC, which I would like to show
    >as a slideshow. I would like the slide show to loop forever (not stop at the
    >end) and preferebly show the photos in a random order. Even better would be
    >if the software could do all this with photos in several folders.
    >
    >Is there any free software out there to do the above?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >GT

    Windows has a slideshow feature built in....

    However, I hope that you divide the 2000 images over several shows

    with the average 5 seconds on screen per image and a 2 second wipe to
    the next slide... = 7 seconds overall per image.

    2000 x 7 seconds = 14,000 seconds. / 60 = 233.333 minutes
    233.333 mins / 60 = 3.8888 hour...

    Will you be serving ices and popcorn between shows?

    Joking apart - if you want to do something special, try Pro Show Gold
    for a top notch slideshow software - not a freebee but very reasonable
    in cost.

    Donald Gray, Nov 14, 2005
  10. GT

    Celcius Guest

    "GT" <> wrote in message

    > > show

    better

    > > folders.

    PC,

    > >> I have a Windows XP PC. No photo CDs, DVD players or anything
    > >> complicated,
    > >> just looking for 'normal' software to slideshow photos on my hard disk.
    > >>
    > >> I would like something similar to the built-in "Windows Picture and Fax
    > >> Viewer", but that can show the photos in a random order and continue to

    > > loop
    > >> until I stop it. Also if it can handle photos from a number of folders,

    > > that
    > >> would be a bonus.
    > >>

    > > GT,
    > > Win XP has something called "My picture slideshow". It's not the best

    but
    > > is
    > > included.

    > Where do I find this - its not on my Windows Menus? I did a quick Google

    for
    > the term and just found some German websites!

    Click on your destop from the right, click on "Properties" from the left,
    then on "screen saver", then choose from the different screen savers, the
    one called "My picture show". Then in the "Settings" menu, click on whatever
    you want: folder, picture change, how big, etc.
    Marcel

    Celcius, Nov 14, 2005
  11. GT

    Laurent Guest

    "GT" <> a écrit dans le message de news:
    437890c8$0$9592$...
    > I have a Windows XP PC. No photo CDs, DVD players or anything complicated,
    > just looking for 'normal' software to slideshow photos on my hard disk.
    >
    > I would like something similar to the built-in "Windows Picture and Fax
    > Viewer", but that can show the photos in a random order and continue to
    > loop until I stop it. Also if it can handle photos from a number of
    > folders, that would be a bonus.

    Isn't the Windows XP screensaver enough to do that ?

    Laurent --> worth a try... ;-)
    --
    = http://www.laurent-roy.com = http://laurentroy.deviantart.com/store =

    Laurent, Nov 14, 2005
  12. GT

    GT Guest

    "Donald Gray" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 11:15:26 -0000, "GT"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have a subset of nearly 2000 photos on my PC, which I would like to show
    >>as a slideshow. I would like the slide show to loop forever (not stop at
    >>the
    >>end) and preferebly show the photos in a random order. Even better would
    >>be
    >>if the software could do all this with photos in several folders.
    >>
    >>Is there any free software out there to do the above?
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>GT
    >>

    > Windows has a slideshow feature built in....
    >
    > However, I hope that you divide the 2000 images over several shows
    >
    > with the average 5 seconds on screen per image and a 2 second wipe to
    > the next slide... = 7 seconds overall per image.
    >
    > 2000 x 7 seconds = 14,000 seconds. / 60 = 233.333 minutes
    > 233.333 mins / 60 = 3.8888 hour...
    >
    > Will you be serving ices and popcorn between shows?

    Yes - its for the background during a kids party!

    GT, Nov 14, 2005
  13. GT

    GT Guest

    "Laurent" <> wrote in message
    > "GT" <> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > 437890c8$0$9592$...
    >> I have a Windows XP PC. No photo CDs, DVD players or anything
    >> complicated, just looking for 'normal' software to slideshow photos on my
    >> hard disk.
    >>
    >> I would like something similar to the built-in "Windows Picture and Fax
    >> Viewer", but that can show the photos in a random order and continue to
    >> loop until I stop it. Also if it can handle photos from a number of
    >> folders, that would be a bonus.

    > Isn't the Windows XP screensaver enough to do that ?

    Thanks for the tip, but I was looking for something I could have more
    control over. This is for a kids party, so I can expect more that the
    occasional twitch of the mouse, so a screensaver would probably not be seen!

    Someone else actually just pointed that out to me, but I didn't know it was
    there as I never use screen savers - they are an old throwback to the days
    when screens used to 'burn' after showing the same green text for a long
    time. A modern CRT monitor is not going to burn out after an hour of the
    same Excel spreadsheet - besides, I have XP set to save power when possible,
    so the monitor switches off after 10 minutes and the computer shuts down
    after an hour of inactivity!

    GT, Nov 14, 2005
  14. GT

    Onno Voors Guest

    "GT" <> wrote in news:437871d1$0$9482
    $:

    > Is there any free software out there to do the above?

    Yes. MyAlbum is my favourite.

    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/myalbum/

    --
    Onno Voors

    Onno Voors, Nov 14, 2005
  15. GT

    IRISH GENE Guest

    open the folder with all the pictures on it in the windows fax and
    picture viewer program then click on a thumbnail pic when it expands
    from a thumbnail to a bigger image click f11 and a slide show will run
    off all the pics in the folder

    gene

    IRISH GENE, Nov 14, 2005
  16. GT

    GT Guest

    "IRISH GENE" <> wrote in message
    > open the folder with all the pictures on it in the windows fax and
    > picture viewer program then click on a thumbnail pic when it expands
    > from a thumbnail to a bigger image click f11 and a slide show will run
    > off all the pics in the folder

    Thanks, but that is the built-in "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" that I
    mentioned. It doesn't do everything I wanted.

    GT, Nov 14, 2005
  17. GT

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 13:58:15 -0000, "GT"
    <> wrote:

    >> show

    >> folders.

    >>> I have a Windows XP PC. No photo CDs, DVD players or anything
    >>> complicated,
    >>> just looking for 'normal' software to slideshow photos on my hard disk.
    >>>
    >>> I would like something similar to the built-in "Windows Picture and Fax
    >>> Viewer", but that can show the photos in a random order and continue to

    >> loop
    >>> until I stop it. Also if it can handle photos from a number of folders,

    >> that
    >>> would be a bonus.
    >>>

    >> GT,
    >> Win XP has something called "My picture slideshow". It's not the best but
    >> is
    >> included.

    >Where do I find this - its not on my Windows Menus? I did a quick Google for
    >the term and just found some German websites!

    You can try this:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/videos/managepics.mspx

    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Nov 14, 2005
  18. GT

    R. Murphy Guest

    If you have windows XP download the Microsoft Power Toys from Microsoft -
    and see if the slideshow wizard does what you want. It generates HTML if I
    recollect, so the slides a re viewed via Internet Explorer.

    Oh - and it is free!

    R. Murphy, Nov 14, 2005
  19. GT

    bert Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I have a subset of nearly 2000 photos on my PC, which I would like to show
    >as a slideshow. I would like the slide show to loop forever (not stop at the
    >end) and preferebly show the photos in a random order. Even better would be
    >if the software could do all this with photos in several folders.
    >
    >Is there any free software out there to do the above?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >GT

    Irfanview will also do what you want

    http://www.irfanview.com

    and its free, its also a good viewer/batch converter etc. for pics

    bert, Nov 14, 2005
  20. GT

    me mosttimes Guest

    GT wrote:
    > I have a subset of nearly 2000 photos on my PC, which I would like to show
    > as a slideshow. I would like the slide show to loop forever (not stop at the
    > end) and preferebly show the photos in a random order. Even better would be
    > if the software could do all this with photos in several folders.
    >
    > Is there any free software out there to do the above?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > GT

    PICASA is now owned by Google and is truely a wonderful program. Its
    free. Go to Google.com then click on "more". You will find Picasa on
    this page and for what it's worth Google Earth is also here for the
    taking. It has absolutely nothing to do with slide shows but is one the
    absolutely most impressive applications you have ever seen. The only
    drawback is that you have to have a relatively newer video card.

    Both of these applications take significant exploration to gain full
    apreciation of them. With Picasa as it is a picture manager, you will
    let it search your computer for your pictures. It will find the folders
    which you are interested in at which point in each folder you will
    select those for the slide show. Selected picture thumbnails will appear
    in the tray in the lower left. You will won't to "hold" these before
    changing to other folders and selecting more pictures for the slide
    show. Once you have them all present in the tray, you will use the LABEL
    option to give these pictures a descriptive name. This is how you
    create a virtual folder. At no time does Picasa alter the original file.
    One thing that is a bit difficult with Picasa is actually locating a
    picture as it sorts the folders by date. If you add newer pictures to an
    older folder the sort order is not altered. Use the search tool in the
    upper right to find the file name or keywords that could have been used
    in the "caption" function it allows you to add.

    Now only does this software do slide shows, it allows you to give the
    slide show to others. Really nice application. I think it does all you
    asked except for random playback.

    I can't believe others haven't already suggested it.

    me mosttimes, Nov 14, 2005