    Regards,
    Nick

    Nick Harrison Lancaster UK
    Nick Harrison, Apr 3, 2004

  2. Nick Harrison

    Stan Prevost Guest

    I believe ProShow will do what you want.

    http://www.photodex.com/products/proshow/

    Stan Prevost, Apr 3, 2004

  3. Nick Harrison

    Bill Guest

    On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 13:13:26 +0100, Nick Harrison
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >Hope this is the right place for this.
    >I want to set up a computer at school to display different directories
    >of digital images showing photos of different school events.
    >It could use a browser or be a stand alone application.
    >I would like it to create/have a menu screen such that people click on
    >an icon/title and this activates a slideshow of images in that
    >directory. At the end of the slideshow it reverts back to the menu
    >screen.
    >Options to change slideshow interval would be nice and possible
    >transition effects though the latter is less important.
    >I only need it to run locally from the hard disk at the moment.
    >Anyone know of such software? Freeware would be nice!
    >OS Mixed Windows 98SE Windows 2000
    >Regards,
    >Nick
    >
    >Nick Harrison Lancaster UK

    Try posting to alt.comp.freeware. I'd be surprised if you didn't turn
    up a couple of alternatives.

    HTH
    Bill
    Bill, Apr 3, 2004
  4. Nick Harrison

    Ahle Wutz Guest

    Take a look at ThumbsPlus, which is an extremely powerful image
    handling, archiving and processing database:

    http://jurgenlobert.net/art/samples/ThumbsPlus.jpg

    One of the nicest features is the ability to create "galleries" with
    images (actually shortcuts to the actual images) from different
    folders, which can then be processed, sorted, annotated, viewed etc.

    The button that looks like a slide in the top button bar, center-left
    starts the slideshow (or press F8), the interface resembles the
    Explorer window with folders on the left, thumbnails on the right and
    info for each file at the bottom.

    You can download a trial or purchase it at www.cerious.com

    AW

    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >Hope this is the right place for this.
    >I want to set up a computer at school to display different directories
    >of digital images showing photos of different school events.
    >It could use a browser or be a stand alone application.
    >I would like it to create/have a menu screen such that people click on
    >an icon/title and this activates a slideshow of images in that
    >directory. At the end of the slideshow it reverts back to the menu
    >screen.
    >Options to change slideshow interval would be nice and possible
    >transition effects though the latter is less important.
    >I only need it to run locally from the hard disk at the moment.
    >Anyone know of such software? Freeware would be nice!
    >OS Mixed Windows 98SE Windows 2000
    >Regards,
    >Nick
    >
    >Nick Harrison Lancaster UK

    JP

    (remove second underscore to email)
    Ahle Wutz, Apr 3, 2004
  5. Nick Harrison wrote:

    >Hope this is the right place for this.
    >I want to set up a computer at school to display different directories
    >of digital images showing photos of different school events.
    >It could use a browser or be a stand alone application.
    >I would like it to create/have a menu screen such that people click on
    >an icon/title and this activates a slideshow of images in that
    >directory. At the end of the slideshow it reverts back to the menu
    >screen.
    >Options to change slideshow interval would be nice and possible
    >transition effects though the latter is less important.
    >I only need it to run locally from the hard disk at the moment.
    >Anyone know of such software? Freeware would be nice!
    >OS Mixed Windows 98SE Windows 2000

    There are a number of good freeware solutions for this problem. Search
    http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search in alt.comp.freeware and
    you will turn up lots of suggestions. Or post in ACF and you'll get
    lots of suggestions and opinions. :)

    My recommendation would be JAblum (http://jalbum.net/), though I have
    to admit this is largely because it's the tool I know, I haven't done
    a comparison study.

    JAlbum generates html slideshows, so you would use a browser as a
    viewer. JAlbum can create multiple levels of slideshows, so the top
    level would show one thumbnail for each show (which is in a
    sub-folder), this serves as your "menu". There are lots of different
    "skins" available, so you can customize how it looks (or you can
    customize further and make your own skin).

    You can specify the slideshow delay time in the skin "template" file.
    There are also skins that provide for user-controlled delays (search
    the JAlbum forum for details). You can also use transition effects
    (assuming your browser supports them). You may have a little work to
    do, creating a template that combines the various features you want
    with the look-and-feel you like.

    Another option would be to use Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com) to
    create slideshows. Then use any menu program to provide the menu
    system.

    Terry
    Terry Orchard, Apr 3, 2004
  6. Nick,

    You can also try Visere, a freware program I have developed. You can create
    slideshows with variable timing options and you also have a few other very
    nice features. Take a look at:

    http://www.dmmd.net/products/visere_screenshots.htm

    Also, any feedback would be greately appreciated.

    Best,
    Darian

    Darian Muresan, Apr 4, 2004
  7. Nick Harrison

    Robert Strom Guest

    It sounds to me like you need a menu interface.

    I use autoplay menu studio

    You design the interface using any graphics you like. The buttons can
    also be any image or graphic. Once the particualr show ends, it
    reverts back to the main menu again.

    Not free, but does exactly what you want, plus a whole lot more that
    you may not find useful... right now (grin)

    Robert Storm

    Robert Strom, Apr 4, 2004
  8. On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 13:13:26 +0100, Nick Harrison
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,

    <snip> request for slideshow presenter with menu choice.
    >Nick Harrison Lancaster UK

    Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Proshow doesn't support menus. Proshow Gold is fairly slick with
    transitions but a bit expensive for me and not very flexible.
    I already use IrfanView. Like it a lot and could set up menus for
    standalone slideshows,. Hadn't thought of that!!
    ThumbsPlus looks great but more than I need and a bit expensive for my
    purpose.
    JAlbum seems to be the one for me. Freeware but I'll have to get to
    grips with HTML for a customised browser screen related to school logo
    etc. That's an incentive to allocate time.
    Not had time to try Visere but will give it a try.
    Thanks again.
    Regards,
    Nick

    Nick Harrison Lancaster UK