Slideshow on DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by SHRED©, Oct 22, 2003.

  1. SHRED©

    SHRED© Guest

    I am building a computer system for a friend. He mentioned he would like to
    play a slideshow, with music added, of his photos on his home DVD player.

    What do I need for hardware? Is there a format for CD-R that a DVD player
    would recognize?
    In other words do I need to install a DVD burner or will a CD burner do it?

    Which hardware and what software would you advise?

    Thanks
    SHRED©, Oct 22, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. SHRED©

    Pug Fugley Guest

    I use a DVD burner with Sonic MY DVD software.


    "SHRED©" <> wrote in message
    news:tyklb.104390$gv5.85142@fed1read05...
    >
    >
    > I am building a computer system for a friend. He mentioned he would like

    to
    > play a slideshow, with music added, of his photos on his home DVD player.
    >
    > What do I need for hardware? Is there a format for CD-R that a DVD player
    > would recognize?
    > In other words do I need to install a DVD burner or will a CD burner do

    it?
    >
    > Which hardware and what software would you advise?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    >
    Pug Fugley, Oct 22, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. in article tyklb.104390$gv5.85142@fed1read05, SHRED© at
    wrote on 10/21/03 6:03 PM:

    >
    >
    > I am building a computer system for a friend. He mentioned he would like to
    > play a slideshow, with music added, of his photos on his home DVD player.
    >
    > What do I need for hardware? Is there a format for CD-R that a DVD player
    > would recognize?
    > In other words do I need to install a DVD burner or will a CD burner do it?
    >
    > Which hardware and what software would you advise?
    >
    > Thanks


    I would highly recommend a Mac. Get one turn-key with a DVD/CD burner along
    with all the software you'd need, specifically iPhoto for photo editing and
    managing, iTunes for music management/ripping, and iDVD for building the
    slideshows...of course a bunch of other software is also included, such as
    iMovie for editing videos. It's all about quality, elegance and ease of
    use.

    Or like everyone I know who ignores my advice...

    Buy the cheapest PC you can possibly find. Take that $100 you save and use
    it to buy virus protection and additional software that you'd want. Spend
    night after night dealing with the typical "my audio isn't synching to the
    video" or "I'm getting buffer underrun errors" or "I can't figure out____",
    and eventually giving up. Then see a DVD some kid created in a couple of
    hours on a Mac and be all impressed on how talented and smart the kid
    appears to be.
    MR_ED_of_Course, Oct 22, 2003
    #3
  4. SHRED©

    Doc_Johnson Guest

    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/author

    You do not need a DVD burner for a VCD slideshow.
    A CD burner will work fine and be recognized by most DVD players.

    Doc




    On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:03:13 -0700, "SHRED©" <> wrote:

    >
    >
    >I am building a computer system for a friend. He mentioned he would like to
    >play a slideshow, with music added, of his photos on his home DVD player.
    >
    >What do I need for hardware? Is there a format for CD-R that a DVD player
    >would recognize?
    >In other words do I need to install a DVD burner or will a CD burner do it?
    >
    >Which hardware and what software would you advise?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    Doc_Johnson, Oct 22, 2003
    #4
  5. SHRED©

    Max Volume Guest

    In article <BBBB31F3.23079%>, MR_ED_of_Course
    <> wrote:

    > I would highly recommend a Mac. Get one turn-key with a DVD/CD burner along
    > with all the software you'd need, specifically iPhoto for photo editing and
    > managing, iTunes for music management/ripping, and iDVD for building the
    > slideshows...of course a bunch of other software is also included, such as
    > iMovie for editing videos. It's all about quality, elegance and ease of
    > use.
    >
    > Or like everyone I know who ignores my advice...
    >
    > Buy the cheapest PC you can possibly find. Take that $100 you save and use
    > it to buy virus protection and additional software that you'd want. Spend
    > night after night dealing with the typical "my audio isn't synching to the
    > video" or "I'm getting buffer underrun errors" or "I can't figure out____",
    > and eventually giving up. Then see a DVD some kid created in a couple of
    > hours on a Mac and be all impressed on how talented and smart the kid
    > appears to be.


    Oh look, Mr. Ed is back. I have to admit I couldn't have said it
    better myself.

    You might be interested to know that I took a trip to Circuit City and
    BEST BUY the other day, and while each store had only one DVD player
    hooked up (a SONY and a SAMSUNG respectively), both players refused to
    play my Region 2 DVD-R citing "region protection", yet they both played
    my Region 1 disc.

    Ready to eat your words yet???
    Max Volume, Oct 22, 2003
    #5
  6. SHRED©

    Trevor S Guest

    "SHRED©" <> wrote in
    news:tyklb.104390$gv5.85142@fed1read05:

    >
    >
    > I am building a computer system for a friend. He mentioned he would
    > like to play a slideshow, with music added, of his photos on his home
    > DVD player.
    >
    > What do I need for hardware? Is there a format for CD-R that a DVD
    > player would recognize?
    > In other words do I need to install a DVD burner or will a CD burner
    > do it?
    >
    > Which hardware and what software would you advise?


    My recomendation. A DVD-Burner and Uleads DVD Pictures Show 2. I make my
    photo DVD's with background music ussing this. Very simple to use.

    http://www.ulead.com/dps/trial.htm



    --
    Trevor S


    "Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    -Albert Einstein
    Trevor S, Oct 22, 2003
    #6
  7. On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 01:57:20 GMT, MR_ED_of_Course
    <> wrote:

    >in article tyklb.104390$gv5.85142@fed1read05, SHRED© at
    >wrote on 10/21/03 6:03 PM:
    >
    >>
    >>
    >> I am building a computer system for a friend. He mentioned he would like to
    >> play a slideshow, with music added, of his photos on his home DVD player.
    >>
    >> What do I need for hardware? Is there a format for CD-R that a DVD player
    >> would recognize?
    >> In other words do I need to install a DVD burner or will a CD burner do it?
    >>
    >> Which hardware and what software would you advise?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >
    >I would highly recommend a Mac. Get one turn-key with a DVD/CD burner along
    >with all the software you'd need, specifically iPhoto for photo editing and
    >managing, iTunes for music management/ripping, and iDVD for building the
    >slideshows...of course a bunch of other software is also included, such as
    >iMovie for editing videos. It's all about quality, elegance and ease of
    >use.
    >
    >Or like everyone I know who ignores my advice...
    >
    >Buy the cheapest PC you can possibly find. Take that $100 you save and use
    >it to buy virus protection and additional software that you'd want. Spend
    >night after night dealing with the typical "my audio isn't synching to the
    >video" or "I'm getting buffer underrun errors" or "I can't figure out____",
    >and eventually giving up. Then see a DVD some kid created in a couple of
    >hours on a Mac and be all impressed on how talented and smart the kid
    >appears to be.
    H E Pennypacker, Oct 22, 2003
    #7
  8. SHRED©

    JC Guest

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:03:13 -0700, "SHRED©" <>
    wrote:

    >
    >
    >I am building a computer system for a friend. He mentioned he would like to
    >play a slideshow, with music added, of his photos on his home DVD player.
    >
    >What do I need for hardware? Is there a format for CD-R that a DVD player
    >would recognize?
    >In other words do I need to install a DVD burner or will a CD burner do it?
    >
    >Which hardware and what software would you advise?
    >
    >Thanks
    >


    If its on a PC you could try MemoriesOnTV with the MPEG2 SVCD/DVD
    plugin. I think the site is something like www.picturestotv.com but a
    search on Google should turn it up. Very simple and intuitive software
    and you could burn it out to an SVCD (assuming your friend's player
    supports SVCD) instead of to a DVD

    Please note - I am not in anyway associated with the above company - I
    tried their software out a month or two ago when I was looking for
    something similar

    JC
    JC, Oct 22, 2003
    #8
  9. Re: Region Coding DVD-Rs (was Slideshow on DVD?)

    in article 221020030434052577%, Max Volume at
    wrote on 10/22/03 1:31 AM:

    > In article <BBBB31F3.23079%>, MR_ED_of_Course
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I would highly recommend a Mac. Get one turn-key with a DVD/CD burner along
    >> with all the software you'd need, specifically iPhoto for photo editing and
    >> managing, iTunes for music management/ripping, and iDVD for building the
    >> slideshows...of course a bunch of other software is also included, such as
    >> iMovie for editing videos. It's all about quality, elegance and ease of
    >> use.
    >>
    >> Or like everyone I know who ignores my advice...
    >>
    >> Buy the cheapest PC you can possibly find. Take that $100 you save and use
    >> it to buy virus protection and additional software that you'd want. Spend
    >> night after night dealing with the typical "my audio isn't synching to the
    >> video" or "I'm getting buffer underrun errors" or "I can't figure out____",
    >> and eventually giving up. Then see a DVD some kid created in a couple of
    >> hours on a Mac and be all impressed on how talented and smart the kid
    >> appears to be.

    >
    > Oh look, Mr. Ed is back. I have to admit I couldn't have said it
    > better myself.


    Yes, I think this is one of the few areas where we agree.

    > You might be interested to know that I took a trip to Circuit City and
    > BEST BUY the other day, and while each store had only one DVD player
    > hooked up (a SONY and a SAMSUNG respectively), both players refused to
    > play my Region 2 DVD-R citing "region protection", yet they both played
    > my Region 1 disc.
    >
    > Ready to eat your words yet???


    Quite simply, I don't believe you.

    The manuals for DVD Studio Pro state in several locations that you can't use
    it to burn a DVD-R with region coding. All that is possible is setting the
    region code for outputting to CMF/DLT for a replicator to press the disc.

    In other words, Apple states in several locations that you can't do what you
    say you did.

    In addition, it's something I've tested myself both with the Apple
    SuperDrive as well as a third party drive.

    In the last thread, you had several other people tell you that you can't
    burn a DVD-R with region coding as you described.

    Gee, I wonder why every replicator that accepts DVD-Rs as masters does
    require CMF/DLT for DVDs with CSS, Macrovision or REGION CODING?

    --Mr Ed.
    MR_ED_of_Course, Oct 23, 2003
    #9
  10. SHRED©

    Max Volume Guest

    Re: Region Coding DVD-Rs (was Slideshow on DVD?)

    In article <BBBCD565.23A8F%>, MR_ED_of_Course
    <> wrote:

    > Quite simply, I don't believe you.


    Then you're hopelessly and persistently ignorant. As Emerson said, "A
    foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

    > The manuals for DVD Studio Pro state in several locations that you can't use
    > it to burn a DVD-R with region coding. All that is possible is setting the
    > region code for outputting to CMF/DLT for a replicator to press the disc.
    >
    > In other words, Apple states in several locations that you can't do what you
    > say you did.


    Simply put, either you misread it or it's wrong. It worked.

    > In addition, it's something I've tested myself both with the Apple
    > SuperDrive as well as a third party drive.


    Try again.

    > In the last thread, you had several other people tell you that you can't
    > burn a DVD-R with region coding as you described.


    They're wrong.

    > Gee, I wonder why every replicator that accepts DVD-Rs as masters does
    > require CMF/DLT for DVDs with CSS, Macrovision or REGION CODING?


    I'm actually surprised that replicators even accept DVD-Rs.

    If you're convinced I'm lying, fine. Would you like me to send you my
    Region 2 DVD-R???
    Max Volume, Oct 24, 2003
    #10
  11. Re: Region Coding DVD-Rs (was Slideshow on DVD?)

    in article 231020032119453169%, Max Volume at
    wrote on 10/23/03 6:17 PM:

    > In article <BBBCD565.23A8F%>, MR_ED_of_Course
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Quite simply, I don't believe you.

    >
    > Then you're hopelessly and persistently ignorant. As Emerson said, "A
    > foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."


    And the Thompson Twins *both* once said, "Lies, lies, lies..."

    I'm being far from ignorant here. I've read the manuals, I've read what the
    experience of other professionals has been, and I've tested it myself.

    Everything and everyone contradicts what you say.

    What do you have to offer to prove that Apple is wrong, as well as everybody
    else?

    >> The manuals for DVD Studio Pro state in several locations that you can't use
    >> it to burn a DVD-R with region coding. All that is possible is setting the
    >> region code for outputting to CMF/DLT for a replicator to press the disc.
    >>
    >> In other words, Apple states in several locations that you can't do what you
    >> say you did.

    >
    > Simply put, either you misread it or it's wrong.


    SEE IF YOU READ IT ANY DIFFERENTLY. FROM PAGE 567:

    You must use a replication facility if you require dual-layer discs, or if
    you intend to include high-end features such as copy protection or region
    codes. Replication facilities use a glass mastering process to create DVDs
    that are compatible with all DVD players, as opposed to the DVD-R process
    used by duplication facilities. See also duplication facility.

    AGAIN FROM PAGE 29:

    Burn one or more DVDs on your system (if properly equipped). This is a quick
    way to create a test disc. You are limited to creating a single-sided
    single-layer (DVD-5) disc. You cannot add high-end features such as copy
    protection or region support.

    FROM PAGE 31:

    However, if you intend to use a replicator and require high-end features
    such as dual-layer discs, Macrovision copy-protection, region support, and
    CSS data encryption, you must use authoring media with an authoring drive.
    Even with authoring media, you cannot burn a DVD that supports any of these
    high-end features on your own system. However, authoring media supports the
    Cutting Master Format (CMF), which can be used to add information required
    by the replicator to put these features on your discs. General media does
    not support CMF.

    Those are three different instances in the DVD Studio Pro 2.0 manual where
    Apple says you can't do it. It's also in prior manuals.

    > It worked.


    No it didn't.

    >> In addition, it's something I've tested myself both with the Apple
    >> SuperDrive as well as a third party drive.

    >
    > Try again.


    Why? It's pretty simple to test. I did it once before we started arguing
    about it. Then I tested 2 more times (once for each drive) after you
    claimed you had succeeded in doing it.

    >> In the last thread, you had several other people tell you that you can't
    >> burn a DVD-R with region coding as you described.

    >
    > They're wrong.


    Apple and everybody else is wrong. You are the only person who is right.

    OR __________.

    >> Gee, I wonder why every replicator that accepts DVD-Rs as masters does
    >> require CMF/DLT for DVDs with CSS, Macrovision or REGION CODING?

    >
    > I'm actually surprised that replicators even accept DVD-Rs.


    Why? As long as you're doing CMF or as long as you're doing single layer,
    disks without CSS, Macrovision or...REGION CODING, there should be no
    problem or need to require DLT.

    > If you're convinced I'm lying, fine.


    I think it does fall into the fine category.

    > Would you like me to send you my Region 2 DVD-R???


    Sure, but what would that prove?

    As has been pointed out before, it's not impossible to region code a DVD-R.
    You just can't do it with DVDSP2 on an iMac with a SuperDrive.
    MR_ED_of_Course, Oct 24, 2003
    #11
  12. SHRED©

    Max Volume Guest

    Re: Region Coding DVD-Rs (was Slideshow on DVD?)

    In article <BBBDF148.23C9D%>, MR_ED_of_Course
    <> wrote:

    > And the Thompson Twins *both* once said, "Lies, lies, lies..."


    Well, now that we've established our comparative levels of literacy...

    > I'm being far from ignorant here. I've read the manuals, I've read what the
    > experience of other professionals has been, and I've tested it myself.
    >
    > Everything and everyone contradicts what you say.
    >
    > What do you have to offer to prove that Apple is wrong, as well as everybody
    > else?


    My Region 2 DVD-R.

    > Those are three different instances in the DVD Studio Pro 2.0 manual where
    > Apple says you can't do it. It's also in prior manuals.


    It's simply wrong. If something can't be proven to work 100% of the
    time no matter what the combination of hardware and software, Apple
    will not acknowledge that it will work. Simple enough for you?

    > > It worked.

    >
    > No it didn't.


    And you know this how? You're assuming. Stop.

    > Why? It's pretty simple to test. I did it once before we started arguing
    > about it. Then I tested 2 more times (once for each drive) after you
    > claimed you had succeeded in doing it.


    Then you're not doing something right or you have a different
    SuperDrive.

    > Apple and everybody else is wrong. You are the only person who is right.
    >
    > OR __________.


    There is no "OR", the first statement was correct.

    > Why? As long as you're doing CMF or as long as you're doing single layer,
    > disks without CSS, Macrovision or...REGION CODING, there should be no
    > problem or need to require DLT.


    DLT is considered a "pro" format, DVD-R is largely consumer-oriented,
    with the possible exception of DVD-R for Authoring, but then you may as
    well use DLT.

    > I think it does fall into the fine category.


    Then you're a closed-minded moron.

    > > Would you like me to send you my Region 2 DVD-R???

    >
    > Sure, but what would that prove?


    That the manual is not absolute truth and that you need to start
    listening to people.

    > As has been pointed out before, it's not impossible to region code a DVD-R.
    > You just can't do it with DVDSP2 on an iMac with a SuperDrive.


    Actually, I've not seen anyone admit it's not impossible to region code
    a DVD-R, least of all you. Care to tell me what equipment is required?

    And by the way, I'm using a 17" iMac with Jaguar and an HL-DT-ST
    SuperDrive and DVD Studio Pro 1.5 -- maybe one or more of those
    elements is the reason I've been able to do this. At any rate, send me
    your address and I'll mail you the disc. Maybe then you'll shut the
    **** up.

    Oh, and the Thompson Twins was a three-person outfit until the late
    '80s.

    Also, you continually ignore the fact that I have NO REASON to lie
    about this. I'm not selling a "region-code your DVD-R" service or
    how-to book. I even took the disc to Circuit City and BEST BUY to make
    doubly sure I was right. You sir, are simply ignorant. I tried to
    prove myself wrong and failed, while you won't even admit the
    possibility that you may be mistaken.
    Max Volume, Oct 25, 2003
    #12
  13. Re: Region Coding DVD-Rs (was Slideshow on DVD?)

    in article 251020030241161835%, Max Volume at
    wrote on 10/24/03 11:39 PM:

    > In article <BBBDF148.23C9D%>, MR_ED_of_Course
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> And the Thompson Twins *both* once said, "Lies, lies, lies..."

    >
    > Well, now that we've established our comparative levels of literacy...


    No just an example of how retarded it is to quote an irrelevant phrase to
    advance your argument.

    >> I'm being far from ignorant here. I've read the manuals, I've read what the
    >> experience of other professionals has been, and I've tested it myself.
    >>
    >> Everything and everyone contradicts what you say.
    >>
    >> What do you have to offer to prove that Apple is wrong, as well as everybody
    >> else?

    >
    > My Region 2 DVD-R.


    Which either does not exist or was not created by DVD Studio Pro.

    >> Those are three different instances in the DVD Studio Pro 2.0 manual where
    >> Apple says you can't do it. It's also in prior manuals.

    >
    > It's simply wrong. If something can't be proven to work 100% of the
    > time no matter what the combination of hardware and software, Apple
    > will not acknowledge that it will work. Simple enough for you?
    >
    >>> It worked.

    >>
    >> No it didn't.

    >
    > And you know this how? You're assuming. Stop.


    I know this because I know how DVD Studio Pro works. I know how DVD-Rs
    work. I've read the manuals and books on these and tested myself. It's
    anything but an assumption or being ignorant.


    >> Why? It's pretty simple to test. I did it once before we started arguing
    >> about it. Then I tested 2 more times (once for each drive) after you
    >> claimed you had succeeded in doing it.

    >
    > Then you're not doing something right or you have a different
    > SuperDrive.


    Right...and Apple is wrong, the books are wrong...and everybody else is also
    wrong.

    >> Why? As long as you're doing CMF or as long as you're doing single layer,
    >> disks without CSS, Macrovision or...REGION CODING, there should be no
    >> problem or need to require DLT.

    >
    > DLT is considered a "pro" format, DVD-R is largely consumer-oriented,
    > with the possible exception of DVD-R for Authoring, but then you may as
    > well use DLT.


    You're such an idiot. If you're a replicator, there's no reason not to take
    DVD-R. There's no additional cost or effort for them. It's not like as if
    they're saying, "Gee we would take a DVD-R if only we had a DVD drive that
    could read it, so let's make all potential clients use DLT." Every
    replicator I checked was willing to accept DVD-R unless CSS, Macrovision, or
    REGION CODING is required.

    >> I think it does fall into the fine category.

    >
    > Then you're a closed-minded moron.


    Right, reading books, checking the manual, checking with replication service
    companies, reading specs on DVD-R, reading posts from others in this group,
    and testing this 3 times myself makes me a closed minded person as opposed
    to blindly believing someone who has a history of talking shit about things
    he later admits he knows nothing about.

    >>> Would you like me to send you my Region 2 DVD-R???

    >>
    >> Sure, but what would that prove?

    >
    > That the manual is not absolute truth and that you need to start
    > listening to people.


    Nice breaking up of a quote. But what *people* should I be listening to.
    Everyone and everything disagrees with *you*. Don't you mean I should stop
    listening to people and listen to you?

    >> As has been pointed out before, it's not impossible to region code a DVD-R.
    >> You just can't do it with DVDSP2 on an iMac with a SuperDrive.

    >
    > Actually, I've not seen anyone admit it's not impossible to region code
    > a DVD-R, least of all you. Care to tell me what equipment is required?


    Go back to the last thread on the subject. This was given in detail in
    regards to how it can be done, but not with DVD Studio Pro, and not by
    accident. This was specified by someone who worked in a replication
    facility, and I even gave the address of the bits that needed to be edited.

    > And by the way, I'm using a 17" iMac with Jaguar and an HL-DT-ST
    > SuperDrive and DVD Studio Pro 1.5 -- maybe one or more of those
    > elements is the reason I've been able to do this.


    That's right, you don't have DVD Studio Pro 2.0, you just like to talk shit
    about it and other things you've never used. Great, but all this applies to
    1.5 as well.

    > At any rate, send me
    > your address and I'll mail you the disc. Maybe then you'll shut the
    > **** up.


    What part of "What would that prove? As has been pointed out before, it's
    not impossible to region code a DVD-R." did you not understand?

    > Oh, and the Thompson Twins was a three-person outfit until the late
    > '80s.


    Great.

    > Also, you continually ignore the fact that I have NO REASON to lie
    > about this.


    You had no reason to be an obnoxiously rude asshole to everyone in the
    previous thread, but you were weren't you? You had no reason to talk shit
    about applications you had never used before, but you did. As far as I'm
    concerned, you have no reason to exist, but there you are.

    > I'm not selling a "region-code your DVD-R" service or
    > how-to book. I even took the disc to Circuit City and BEST BUY to make
    > doubly sure I was right. You sir, are simply ignorant. I tried to
    > prove myself wrong and failed, while you won't even admit the
    > possibility that you may be mistaken.


    I guess you might think I might be biased because I'm selling a "region-code
    prevention DVD-R" service or how-not-to book.

    Actually, I started with the premise that I was wrong. I read the manual
    and confirmed that it could not be done.

    I tried burning 3 DVD-Rs. I've even tried other utilities, re-read the
    manual, read books, read information from replicators, and read posts from
    others.

    There is nothing nowhere that I see that indicates in anyway that I am wrong
    in what I've tried, and what everyone else besides you is saying.

    Maybe if you weren't such an asshole in every thread I've seen you post in.
    Maybe if you didn't have a history of talking shit about stuff you know
    nothing about, I'd... Well, I'd just think that there was *one* person
    claiming different experiences from myself and everyone else.

    But I do think you are lying. I think it's pretty fucked up for you to do
    this because someone searching for information on how to region code a DVD-R
    or as in the previous thread is concerned about being able to play one may
    stumble across one of your posts and believe that it is possible. Purchases
    may be made or not made because of you being an asshole.
    MR_ED_of_Course, Oct 25, 2003
    #13
  14. SHRED©

    Max Volume Guest

    Re: Region Coding DVD-Rs (was Slideshow on DVD?)

    In article <BBC011BC.24360%>, MR_ED_of_Course
    <> wrote:

    > Which either does not exist or was not created by DVD Studio Pro.


    Guess I should have seen that coming. There's no point in sending it
    to you because you'll insist that it wasn't created with DVD Studio
    Pro.

    > I know this because I know how DVD Studio Pro works. I know how DVD-Rs
    > work. I've read the manuals and books on these and tested myself. It's
    > anything but an assumption or being ignorant.


    The more you go on about how I couldn't have done this, the more you
    show yourself to be ignorant.

    > Right...and Apple is wrong, the books are wrong...and everybody else is also
    > wrong.


    Yes, and they will continue to be wrong until they start listening.
    I've already explained why the manual says what it does about this.

    > You're such an idiot. If you're a replicator, there's no reason not to take
    > DVD-R. There's no additional cost or effort for them. It's not like as if
    > they're saying, "Gee we would take a DVD-R if only we had a DVD drive that
    > could read it, so let's make all potential clients use DLT." Every
    > replicator I checked was willing to accept DVD-R unless CSS, Macrovision, or
    > REGION CODING is required.


    Listen, moron. There's no reason for your local TV station not to play
    the movie of the week off a DVD, but they don't do it, do they?

    > Right, reading books, checking the manual, checking with replication service
    > companies, reading specs on DVD-R, reading posts from others in this group,
    > and testing this 3 times myself makes me a closed minded person as opposed
    > to blindly believing someone who has a history of talking shit about things
    > he later admits he knows nothing about.


    I assume you're referring to DVD Studio Pro 2. I saw the reviews, read
    all about the features, and merely commented that the inclusion of
    templates was stupid and geared towards Joe End-User instead of
    professionals. I feel qualified to make such comments given what I
    know about the program. I was open-minded enough to admit that I
    hadn't used it and might like some of the other new features, but I
    never backed down from the opinion that including templates is stupid.

    > Nice breaking up of a quote. But what *people* should I be listening to.
    > Everyone and everything disagrees with *you*. Don't you mean I should stop
    > listening to people and listen to you?


    Again, I personally don't care. You're dead-set against learning
    something here (including what you might be doing wrong in DVD Studio
    Pro or that you have an older Superdrive), and all I'm doing is trying
    to educate you.

    > Go back to the last thread on the subject. This was given in detail in
    > regards to how it can be done, but not with DVD Studio Pro, and not by
    > accident. This was specified by someone who worked in a replication
    > facility, and I even gave the address of the bits that needed to be edited.


    I did nothing but a "Build & Format" from within DVD Studio Pro.

    > That's right, you don't have DVD Studio Pro 2.0, you just like to talk shit
    > about it and other things you've never used. Great, but all this applies to
    > 1.5 as well.


    Apparently not.

    > What part of "What would that prove? As has been pointed out before, it's
    > not impossible to region code a DVD-R." did you not understand?


    Apparently the part where you really meant to say "Hey, don't bother
    man, I'm just gonna claim you used some other utility to achieve this."

    > Great.


    That's it? No argument that the name of the band clearly indicates two
    people and that if I did indeed see three people on the album cover
    that it must have been a different band?

    > You had no reason to be an obnoxiously rude asshole to everyone in the
    > previous thread, but you were weren't you? You had no reason to talk shit
    > about applications you had never used before, but you did. As far as I'm
    > concerned, you have no reason to exist, but there you are.


    Fine, dude. Wallow in your ignorance -- see if I care.

    > I guess you might think I might be biased because I'm selling a "region-code
    > prevention DVD-R" service or how-not-to book.


    No, you're just stupid. Look man, I'm not 16 years old. This isn't a
    pissing contest over who's right and who's wrong. I came into this
    thread genuinely wanting to know the answer and assuming it was
    impossible. After switching my SuperDrive to region 2 and having the
    machine ask to switch it back when I inserted a region 1 DVD-R, I
    became skeptical of what I had read both online and in the manual.

    > Actually, I started with the premise that I was wrong. I read the manual
    > and confirmed that it could not be done.


    You read the manual and ASSUMED it could not be done.

    > I tried burning 3 DVD-Rs. I've even tried other utilities, re-read the
    > manual, read books, read information from replicators, and read posts from
    > others.


    Again, are you so blind that you won't even accept that you might have
    the older Pioneer Superdrive??? There's a world of difference between
    the two, but if it would hurt you to not have the latest and greatest
    hardware, just keep thinking it couldn't be the hardware.

    > There is nothing nowhere that I see that indicates in anyway that I am wrong
    > in what I've tried, and what everyone else besides you is saying.


    That's a double negative. Maybe everyone else simply assumes it can't
    be done and hasn't tried it. Also, I'd hazard a guess that many here
    have older Superdrives.

    > Maybe if you weren't such an asshole in every thread I've seen you post in.
    > Maybe if you didn't have a history of talking shit about stuff you know
    > nothing about, I'd... Well, I'd just think that there was *one* person
    > claiming different experiences from myself and everyone else.


    Again, they probably haven't tried. Doesn't matter to me really, but
    it pisses me off for you to continually call me a liar when I was only
    trying to share information I acquired by simply trying it.

    > But I do think you are lying. I think it's pretty fucked up for you to do
    > this because someone searching for information on how to region code a DVD-R
    > or as in the previous thread is concerned about being able to play one may
    > stumble across one of your posts and believe that it is possible. Purchases
    > may be made or not made because of you being an asshole.


    Ever consider that you're closing the door to someone who needs to do
    this but believes your shit about it being impossible?

    At any rate, go ahead, continue in your folly and keep burning those
    region-free DVD-Rs all you want. I don't give a shit what you think or
    what anyone else here thinks or does with their DVD-Rs. Maybe next
    time I'll think twice about trying to enlighten anyone on this
    newsgroup. If they're all as stubborn as you, it certainly won't be
    worth the effort.

    I'm curious, though. What exactly would you do if someone else tried
    the same thing and was successful? Would you accuse them of being me
    under another name? What would happen if someone performed this
    "impossible" feat before your eyes? Would you insist that the disc was
    already recorded??? Would you suggest that it was actually a pressed
    DVD made to LOOK like a DVD-R??? Your unwillingness to let go of all
    that you think you know is simply astounding.
    Max Volume, Oct 27, 2003
    #14
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. John
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    33,429
    Judith.R
    Oct 16, 2008
  2. Paul Stokes

    DVD Slideshow

    Paul Stokes, Sep 17, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    522
    Unome
    Sep 19, 2004
  3. Nozza

    MyDVD Lite slideshow to DVD question

    Nozza, Jun 13, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    435
    Nozza
    Jun 13, 2005
  4. Val Sharp

    DVD and PC slideshow

    Val Sharp, Sep 25, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    280
    Jeff Zawrotny
    Sep 25, 2003
  5. photo2dvd
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    2,523
    savitashri
    Apr 12, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page