    what is the best way to do this?

    thanks

    Ian
    Ian Fraser, Sep 11, 2005

  2. Ian Fraser

    John Inzer Guest

    Ian Fraser wrote:
    > My wife has over a 1,000 slides from when she was a
    > younge girl and wants me burn them
    > to dvd for safe keeping!
    >
    > what is the best way to do this?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Ian

    ==================================
    First, you need a scanner with a
    transparency adapter.

    Read some reviews at the following
    link:
    http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,119276,00.asp

    The following link offers lots of good
    info on scanning:

    A Few Scanning Tips:
    http://www.scantips.com/

    When all the slides are scanned and
    saved on your hard drive...burn them
    on a disk. CD / DVD / etc.

    If you have a DVD burner...it came with
    software that will do this task.

    --

    John Inzer
    John Inzer, Sep 11, 2005

  3. Ian Fraser

    gangle Guest

    "Ian Fraser" wrote
    > My wife has over a 1,000 slides from when she was a younge girl and wants me
    > burn them
    > to dvd for safe keeping!
    >
    > what is the best way to do this?
    >
    > thanks

    You need a high quality scanner that properly reads slides,
    which will then deposit them onto the hard drive as jpegs.
    The jpegs can be edited (if necessary) with an image program
    like Irfanview. Then you can burn the jpegs onto a DVD using
    the DATA setting of your DVD burning software.

    Helpful, starting sites on slide scanning:
    http://www.flatbed-scanner-review.org/35mm_slide_film_scanners/scanning_35mm_slides.html

    http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,115075,00.asp

    Free yet fabulous Irfanview: www.irfanview.com/

    Also, there are commercial enterprises that will do it for
    a fee (although not a practical idea when you have a
    lot of slides -- you are better off buying a decent scanner).
    Example:
    http://www.yourmemories4ever.com/
    gangle, Sep 11, 2005
  4. Ian Fraser

    FML Guest

    Ian Fraser wrote:
    > My wife has over a 1,000 slides from when she was a younge girl and wants me
    > burn them
    > to dvd for safe keeping!
    >
    > what is the best way to do this?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Ian

    If it is a one time thing, you are better off paying someone to do it.
    Good slide scanners that are not a PITA to scan large volumes of slides
    are expensive. In the US, Walgreen's will do 100 slides for $49.99. I
    have seen local (Dallas, TX, USA) shops advertise for as little as .29
    per slide. Still $290 - $500 (to do 1000 slides) is less than you'll pay
    for a good slide scanner like these:

    http://tinyurl.com/9br9e
    http://tinyurl.com/dpnmj

    Not to mention the cost of the time you'll have to put in to do it yourself.
    FML, Sep 11, 2005
  5. Ian Fraser

    Toolman Tim Guest

    FML wrote:
    > Ian Fraser wrote:
    >> My wife has over a 1,000 slides from when she was a younge girl and
    >> wants me burn them
    >> to dvd for safe keeping!
    >>
    >> what is the best way to do this?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>
    >> Ian
    >>

    > If it is a one time thing, you are better off paying someone to do it.
    > Good slide scanners that are not a PITA to scan large volumes of
    > slides are expensive. In the US, Walgreen's will do 100 slides for $49.99.
    > have seen local (Dallas, TX, USA) shops advertise for as little as .29
    > per slide. Still $290 - $500 (to do 1000 slides) is less than you'll
    > pay for a good slide scanner like these:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/9br9e
    > http://tinyurl.com/dpnmj
    >
    > Not to mention the cost of the time you'll have to put in to do it
    > yourself.

    Yeah - my Dad's slide collection is over 10,000. I just can't see the point
    <g>

    Actually, much of his work is excellent. Some award winning in fact (local
    and state awards, no national). But I would like Mom to go through it and
    start picking out what she really wants to save. The slides are from the
    50's, 60's and 70's mostly, and many are fading. We should try to get them
    into a digital format soon.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 11, 2005
  6. Ian Fraser

    Tom Guest

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 16:43:58 +1000, "Ian Fraser"
    <> wrote:

    | My wife has over a 1,000 slides from when she was a younge girl and wants me
    | burn them
    | to dvd for safe keeping!
    |
    | what is the best way to do this?
    |
    | thanks
    |
    | Ian

    Whatever you choose to do, do NOT get a flatbed scanner that scans
    film/slides. Get a dedicated film scanner instead.

    I have an Epson Perfection 1650, a flatbed scanner which supports slides
    and film. I got a job to scan around 400 slides. Let me tell you, this
    was a NIGHTMARE and took a few months to complete.

    All the flatbed scanners I know will scan 4-8 slides at a time, and
    because of the resolution each one will take minutes.

    These are good for just a few slide/films scans, but for a 1000? I don't
    think so.

    Just my opinion,

    Tom.
    Tom, Sep 12, 2005