SLIDES ( again )

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Guest, Nov 29, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I've got boxes of 35mm slides in the closet.

    I really don't want to buy a slide scanner.
    It seems I should be able to use my KODAK 7330 camera
    to do some slide copying.

    Has anyone experimented with this ?

    I'm thinking;
    board with camera mounted at one end
    magifying lens
    slide holder
    light source

    ???

    Slide copy tubes used to be popular with SLRs....
    maybe some sort of lash-up ?

    <rj>
    Guest, Nov 29, 2004

  2. I tried to copy my slides with my digital camera and a slide copier
    attachment, The results were usable but loss of resolution. I ended up
    buying a Nikon coolscan II slide copier off EBay and used it then resold it
    at a profit. I got better and faster results than I could with the camera.
    Its a long process what ever you do, especially if the slides are old. The
    coolscan is not the newest scanner but it does have digital Ice which
    removes 99% of all dust spots and small blemishes with inferred. The newest
    ones also do an automatic color correction for those faded ones. Most of
    mine were 1960's and always kept in a steal box in the dark. However some
    faded. I also did my fathers 1950's and some of his had mildew growing on
    them. He kept them in the Kodak carousel carriers.

    azscrewdriver, Nov 29, 2004

  3. "<RJ>" <> wrote in message

    > I've got boxes of 35mm slides in the closet.
    >
    > I really don't want to buy a slide scanner.
    > It seems I should be able to use my KODAK 7330 camera
    > to do some slide copying.
    >
    > Has anyone experimented with this ?
    >
    > I'm thinking;
    > board with camera mounted at one end
    > magifying lens
    > slide holder
    > light source
    >
    > ???
    >
    > Slide copy tubes used to be popular with SLRs....
    > maybe some sort of lash-up ?
    >

    > <rj>

    In the November issue of Australian Photography there was an article about
    this.
    Basically the author used an old diffusion enlarger and mounted his Canon
    300D with suitable close-up lenses and then took digital photos of the
    slide.
    He reckons it works! It gives him files of about 3Mb size.
    If you want a copy of the article I suggest you write to their subscription
    department
    Have fun.

    Gerrit - Oz
    Gerrit 't Hart, Nov 30, 2004
  4. Guest

    Bob Williams Guest

    wrote:
    > I've got boxes of 35mm slides in the closet.
    >
    > I really don't want to buy a slide scanner.
    > It seems I should be able to use my KODAK 7330 camera
    > to do some slide copying.
    >
    > Has anyone experimented with this ?
    >
    > I'm thinking;
    > board with camera mounted at one end
    > magifying lens
    > slide holder
    > light source
    >
    > ???
    >
    > Slide copy tubes used to be popular with SLRs....
    > maybe some sort of lash-up ?
    >

    > <rj>

    I used a Nikon 4300 (3MP) with a Nikon slide copying adapter and it
    worked very well. I made a homemade slide copier for my Canon S45 (4MP),
    much as you proposed. It worked even better (better lens and more
    pixels). In fact I preferred the results to that obtained on my 2800 dpi
    H-P film scanner. The film scanner seems to pick up grain which is a
    little bit annoying. Also digitizing with the camera is MUCH faster than
    scanning.

    Most digicams have a 4:3 aspect ratio, whereas slides have a 3:2 ratio,
    so if you want to capture the entire original slide you will have to
    photograph a little more than the slide and crop it in a photo editor to
    the 3:2 aspect ratio. This is no big deal for me because I like to
    adjust levels, color balance and sharpening with Photoshop anyway.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams, Nov 30, 2004
  5. Re: SLIDES ( again ) (again)

    "<RJ>" <> wrote in message

    > I've got boxes of 35mm slides in the closet.
    >
    > I really don't want to buy a slide scanner.
    > It seems I should be able to use my KODAK 7330 camera
    > to do some slide copying.
    >
    > Has anyone experimented with this ?
    >
    > I'm thinking;
    > board with camera mounted at one end
    > magifying lens
    > slide holder
    > light source
    >
    > ???
    >
    > Slide copy tubes used to be popular with SLRs....
    > maybe some sort of lash-up ?
    >

    > <rj>

    I just came accross this website.
    Maybe it is useful
    http://store.yahoo.com/specialtyphotographic/

    Gerrit
    Gerrit 't Hart, Nov 30, 2004
  6. Guest

    Denis Marier Guest

    Would the Nikon coolscan II slide copier handle Agfa glass mounted slides.
    I am now musing about the Canon 8400F 3200 X 6400 ($249.00 CAD) and the
    9950F 4800 X 9600 ($599.00 CAD). I have thousands of color slides taken in
    the sixty while in Africa. Many are mounted in glass frame. Some have
    Newton ring. I do not know if I will be able to remove these rings?

    Denis Marier, Nov 30, 2004
  7. Guest

    cheney Guest

  8. Guest

    medard Guest

  9. Guest

    Ron Baird Guest

    Re: SLIDES ( again ) (again)

    Greetings Hart,

    I suspect that you could use your camera to do this but it will not be the
    kind of digital image quality you might expect from your camera. Rather,
    you are going to be much happier, if the content of the slides are really
    valuable to you, by being selective and getting the slides scanned on of
    film/slide scanner. The service should clean your slides as well. It would
    be worth having a service scan a few slides while you try capturing the same
    slides on your camera. You can then evaluate and decide which is the best
    way to go for the money. If you have a great many, then consider a good
    scanner with a slide copy feature. There are a good many of them out there
    and at a good price.

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Dec 17, 2004
  10. Guest

    Roger Guest

    Re: SLIDES ( again ) (again)

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 14:08:54 -0500, "Ron Baird" <>
    wrote:

    >Greetings Hart,
    >
    >I suspect that you could use your camera to do this but it will not be the
    >kind of digital image quality you might expect from your camera. Rather,
    >you are going to be much happier, if the content of the slides are really
    >valuable to you, by being selective and getting the slides scanned on of
    >film/slide scanner.

    Agreed

    > The service should clean your slides as well. It would

    They charge extra for this and if the scans are to be of high quality
    you are looking at close to a dollar (USD) per image. It can get
    expensive fast. More with cleaning.

    >be worth having a service scan a few slides while you try capturing the same
    >slides on your camera. You can then evaluate and decide which is the best
    >way to go for the money. If you have a great many, then consider a good
    >scanner with a slide copy feature. There are a good many of them out there
    >and at a good price.

    When you say a good scanner with the slide copy feature? So far,
    dedicated slide and film scanners do a much better job on film and
    slides than a flat bed with an adapter that allows the copying of
    slides and negatives.

    Copying slides and or negatives can be a very tedious process.
    Then there is the storage medium and the naming conventions.

    it can be a lot of work.

    >Talk to you soon,
    >
    >Ron Baird
    >Eastman Kodak Company

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger, Dec 18, 2004
  11. Guest

    Ron Baird Guest

    Re: SLIDES ( again ) (again)

    Hi Roger,

    You are quite right, Roger, it can be expensive to buy a film scanner and
    not just a flatbed with a scanner feature, though some of them are pretty
    good. I suspect that trying one to see if the scans are acceptable to you
    might be a good idea? If you like the results, you are all set. If not,
    you can invest in a higher priced scanner. I would think twice about that
    if you are not going to be using it much after scanning the slides you
    already have. It may well be possible to get high res scans of your slides
    for less money than a scanner might cost, plus you would not have to do the
    work.

    Of course, if you are going to be using the scanner afterwards, then the
    film scanner would be for you.

    Talk to you soon, Roger,
    Let me know if you have questions.

    Ron Baird