    difference between JPEGs, VCD and DVD?

    Thanks,

    Gordon

    Gordon Macpherson, Aug 17, 2005

  2. Gordon Macpherson

    Marvin Guest

    Gordon Macpherson wrote:
    > Forgive my ignorance. In considering only the visual quality of the
    > images from a slide show as seen on a standard TV, is there any
    > difference between JPEGs, VCD and DVD?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Gordon

    To begin with, JPEG denotes a common file format for images. VCD and DVD are formats of
    disks that can be used to display photos, etc. on TVs. I can't begin to answer every
    question you may still have, so please be more specific.

    Marvin, Aug 17, 2005

  3. "Gordon Macpherson" <> wrote in message
    > Forgive my ignorance. In considering only the visual quality of the
    > images from a slide show as seen on a standard TV, is there any
    > difference between JPEGs, VCD and DVD?

    That's a very good question: which is the best?

    A friend says he gets great results hooking his Digital Rebel directly to
    the TV set's Video connector. I made a VCD picture disc once but I was not
    impressed.

    Dave R knows who, Aug 17, 2005
  4. Gordon Macpherson

    Randy Guest

    "Dave R knows who" <> wrote in message

    > "Gordon Macpherson" <> wrote in message
    >> Forgive my ignorance. In considering only the visual quality of the
    >> images from a slide show as seen on a standard TV, is there any
    >> difference between JPEGs, VCD and DVD?

    > That's a very good question: which is the best?
    >
    > A friend says he gets great results hooking his Digital Rebel directly to
    > the TV set's Video connector. I made a VCD picture disc once but I was not
    > impressed.

    You should try one of the many DVD slideshow apps out there. I use
    MemoriesOnTV and it's a great way to share photos with others.

    Randy, Aug 17, 2005
  5. Gordon Macpherson

    wilt Guest

    Remember that TV is a relatively low resolution device...even the best
    large screen units (42-50") are only 1300x768 resolution devices!

    Now I'm curious...I guess I should try the same photo at each
    resolution with my Canon G2, to see if there is any observable image
    quality difference with direct input from my G2's video connector to my
    32" TV, and also burn the same photos to DVD to see if my Sony DVD
    recorder plays images thru the S-video connector with any higher
    quality!

    wilt, Aug 17, 2005
  6. Gordon Macpherson

    Kevin Guest

    Gordon Macpherson <> wrote:
    > Forgive my ignorance. In considering only the visual quality of the
    > images from a slide show as seen on a standard TV, is there any
    > difference between JPEGs, VCD and DVD?

    Typical video signals are not very high resolution anyway. A typical DVD
    is encoded at roughly 720x480, as is miniDV camera footage. VCDs are MPEG
    videos encoded at roughly 352x240, or 1/4 the resolution. You'll probably
    notice this as blurry or fuzzy pictures. It might not look "bad" but you'd
    definitely notice the difference compared to a DVD of the same image,
    particularly if it's moving video and not just a still picture. (Still
    pictures which move or zoom, aka the "Ken Burns effect", will also betray
    the lack of resolution.)

    So, your two front-runners are JPEG and DVD. The easy answer would be, if
    your JPEGs are stored at a higher resolution than 720x480, they will probably
    look better. That's hard to tell for sure though, since there are so many
    different ways that JPEGs can be shown on a TV -- through a VGA-to-video
    scan converter, through a TV-out on your video card, even burned onto a CD
    or DVD for playback in a JPEG-enabled DVD player.

    Software that turns JPEGs into slide shows on a DVD are actually converting
    your JPEG images into 720x480 DVD video streams anyway. They do, however,
    have the advantage of being able to generate crossfades, wipes or other
    effects, which obviously you can't do with just images.

    Hope that helps, somewhat. :)

    Kevin, Aug 18, 2005
  7. Gordon Macpherson

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 16:43:46 GMT, "Dave R knows who"
    <> wrote:

    >"Gordon Macpherson" <> wrote in message
    >> Forgive my ignorance. In considering only the visual quality of the
    >> images from a slide show as seen on a standard TV, is there any
    >> difference between JPEGs, VCD and DVD?

    >That's a very good question: which is the best?
    >
    >A friend says he gets great results hooking his Digital Rebel directly to
    >the TV set's Video connector. I made a VCD picture disc once but I was not
    >impressed.

    Not surprising; VCD is lower quality than VHS.
    DVD will give the better between VCD and DVD. Just like DVD will give
    better quality between DVD and VHS.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"