Slide show with transitions, audio, zoom/pan?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Terry, Jul 3, 2004.

  1. Terry

    Terry Guest

    Sorry for yet another request for a slide show program, but I have not
    found the right application yet.

    I want to create slide shows with:

    - Adjustable timing between slides.

    - Audio in the background. Ability to easily sync the audio to
    specific slides.

    - Transitions between slides. The more choices the better, but at
    least a few basic things like fade (disolve), slide left and right,
    etc.

    - Ability to zoom and pan across a slide (and rotate, as well). This
    seems to be known as the "Ken Burns" effect. It lets you provide
    "motion" in the show, pan across a high resolution panorama, etc.

    - Ability to rotate the picture when shown, without modifying the
    original file.

    - I do not want to create video files. I want to see my slides at the
    full resolution of my monitor (say 1600x1200). The ability to create
    video would be nice to have, but that should not be the only output
    option.

    - Works with a system with dual monitors. It doesn't have to show the
    slides across both monitors, in fact I don't want it to. But some
    slide show programs are confused by the dual monitor setup, and show
    only half the slide on the left monitor.

    - Good navigation during the show. You should be able to pause, move
    back and forth between slides, go to a specific slide, show the
    filename of the slide, turn on and off caption or other descriptive
    information. Also zoom and pan would be nice.

    - The ability to import a list of slides from a file (csv, xml, a
    database, whatever). I want to choose the slides and order them in
    another program, export the list of filenames, and then import them
    into the slide show program.

    I have tried a number of programs, including MyAlbum, ProShowGold,
    MemoriesToTV, MySlideShow, IMatch, etc.

    The best seemed to be ProShow Gold, but it can't import a list of
    slides, and the navigation during the show was poor - mouse only, no
    keyboard, only forward and back (no jumping to a specific slide), no
    information about the slide avaialble. I am also unhappy with the
    ProShow Gold license agreement, which specifically permits them to
    send information from my computer to them.

    Any suggestions for applications that can do the above?

    Thanks,

    Terry

    Terry, Jul 3, 2004

  2. Terry

    jbruceb Guest

    Photo Story 2 which is part of Microsoft Plus will do some of your stuff.
    You can make VCDs with it, and I think that it costs about $20.

    jbruceb, Jul 3, 2004

  3. Terry

    Jimmy G Guest

    ProShow Gold does all of the thing you want & more! Google them & you'll
    find their site.

    Jimmy G, Jul 4, 2004
  4. Terry

    Terry Guest

    jbruceb wrote:

    >Photo Story 2 which is part of Microsoft Plus will do some of your stuff.
    >You can make VCDs with it, and I think that it costs about $20.

    This originally looked to me like it only created video files, but now
    that I look again, it's not clear. I'll download the LE version (demo)
    and see how it looks. Thanks.

    Terry

    Terry, Jul 4, 2004
  5. Terry

    Terry Guest

    No, it doesn't. As I said in my original post:

    >The best seemed to be ProShow Gold, but it can't import a list of
    >slides, and the navigation during the show was poor - mouse only, no
    >keyboard, only forward and back (no jumping to a specific slide), no
    >information about the slide avaialble. I am also unhappy with the
    >ProShow Gold license agreement, which specifically permits them to
    >send information from my computer to them.

    If I'm wrong about any of this, please let me know.

    Terry

    Terry, Jul 4, 2004
  6. Terry

    Terry Guest

    Terry wrote:

    >jbruceb wrote:
    >
    >>Photo Story 2 which is part of Microsoft Plus will do some of your stuff.
    >>You can make VCDs with it, and I think that it costs about $20.

    >This originally looked to me like it only created video files, but now
    >that I look again, it's not clear. I'll download the LE version (demo)
    >and see how it looks. Thanks.

    Yep, it's video only. Max 640x480 resolution. Max 150 slides (why
    would they put such a limit in?!). Those are show-stopping
    limitations. Besides that, it does not rotate slides. WMV format only.
    Poor runtime controls, no filename display. The LE (demo) version
    doesn't let you control transitions, zoom and pan, so I can't tell how
    good (or bad) that is in the Plus version.

    Terry

    Terry, Jul 4, 2004
  7. Terry

    Onno Guest

    Terry <> wrote in news:ivsde05jsc27964tvvm9hultsk5rl7p6rs@
    4ax.com:

    > I have tried a number of programs, including MyAlbum,

    FYI, the next version of MyAlbum has transitions. I use the beta and it
    works.

    --
    Onno

    Onno, Jul 4, 2004
  8. Terry

    Terry Guest

    Onno wrote:

    >Terry <> wrote in news:ivsde05jsc27964tvvm9hultsk5rl7p6rs@
    >4ax.com:
    >
    >> I have tried a number of programs, including MyAlbum,

    >FYI, the next version of MyAlbum has transitions. I use the beta and it
    >works.

    That's good to know. I had noticed that MyAlbum had a transition in
    the object model, but it seemed like nothing connected to it. Now I
    know why! :)

    Transitions would make MyAlbum pretty good, and I have to admit the
    price is right (free). It is still missing some things:

    - No zoom and pan across the image.
    - Setting timing for individual slides is not easily done (only with
    scripts, no user interface to do this).
    - No import a list of slides
    - It doesn't work with my two monitor setup (Win XP), it detects it as
    one monitor, so shows the image spread across the two monitors. There
    are no controls that affect this.

    Please correct me if I've missed something.

    Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea when the next version will
    be available? Or is the beta open?

    Terry

    Terry, Jul 4, 2004
  9. Terry

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    right now the best Slide Show program that we are using in our digital
    photography club is ProShow Gold.
    I lets you do transitions, control the time for each slide, syncronizes music
    and voice over, and has fade in and fade out for sound.
    It is not very intuitive but if you take some time to experiment you can do
    some pretty fancy stuff.
    Also it lets you burn to CD and DVD.
    Rosita

    HRosita, Jul 4, 2004
  10. Terry

    Onno Guest

    Terry <> wrote in

    > Onno wrote:
    >
    >>Terry <> wrote in
    >>news:ivsde05jsc27964tvvm9hultsk5rl7p6rs@ 4ax.com:
    >>
    >>> I have tried a number of programs, including MyAlbum,

    >>FYI, the next version of MyAlbum has transitions. I use the beta and
    >>it works.

    [snip]
    > Transitions would make MyAlbum pretty good, and I have to admit the
    > price is right (free). It is still missing some things:
    >
    > - No zoom and pan across the image.

    Press Z and the left/right/up/down buttons. It can be done with the mouse
    too.

    > - Setting timing for individual slides is not easily done (only with
    > scripts, no user interface to do this).

    In the beta this is possible without a script.

    > - No import a list of slides

    Why do you want to do that? It's rather easy to make an album with
    MyAlbum.

    > - It doesn't work with my two monitor setup (Win XP), it detects it as
    > one monitor, so shows the image spread across the two monitors. There
    > are no controls that affect this.

    In settings (File -> settings) you can tell MyAlbum which monitor to use.
    It has a Monitors tab. If it doesn't work, you can contact the author. He
    is very helpful.

    > Do you have any idea when the next version will be available?

    No. But I think the beta works fine :)

    Or is the beta open?

    Don't think so. The author, Pierre Meindre, gave me a download link for
    the beta, because I needed it to make the Dutch translation. The link is
    not on his site.
    Even if the link still works, I don't think he would want me to disclose
    it in a NG.

    --
    Onno

    Onno, Jul 4, 2004
  11. Terry

    Terry Guest

    HRosita wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >right now the best Slide Show program that we are using in our digital
    >photography club is ProShow Gold.
    >I lets you do transitions, control the time for each slide, syncronizes music
    >and voice over, and has fade in and fade out for sound.
    >It is not very intuitive but if you take some time to experiment you can do
    >some pretty fancy stuff.
    >Also it lets you burn to CD and DVD.

    Yes, I mentioned ProShow Gold in my original post, and I have since
    done some more testing with it.

    The biggest problem with ProShow Gold is the poor user control during
    playback. If you create an executable slide-show file, you get some
    keyboard control during playback (pause, forward one slide, back one
    slide). But that means copying all your image files to a large exe
    file. And you do not have the ability to move to a specific slide
    within the show, all you can do is +1 or -1.

    If you run the slide show from within PSG itself, you don't have the
    big slide show file, but now you have no control over the show at all
    at runtime; no pause key, not even next and previous slide operations.
    All you can do is stop the show, move the previous slide (or whatever
    slide you want) in the PSG timeline, and then start the show again.

    For a free running show it seems great. But if you want the show to be
    interactive, where you want to pause the show, move forward and
    backwards, skip ahead 5 slides, etc., it seems very limited.

    For an otherwise powerful program, it seems a curious oversight.
    Perhaps I am missing something, though I have looked (hard) for these
    functions.

    Terry

    Terry, Jul 4, 2004
  12. Terry

    Terry Guest

    Onno wrote:

    >Terry <> wrote in
    >
    >> Onno wrote:
    >>
    >>>Terry <> wrote in
    >>>news:ivsde05jsc27964tvvm9hultsk5rl7p6rs@ 4ax.com:
    >>>

    >> - No zoom and pan across the image.

    >Press Z and the left/right/up/down buttons. It can be done with the mouse
    >too.

    Yes, I guess I wasn't clear. In ProShow Gold, for example (and some
    other programs), you can set up automatic pan and zoom during the
    slide view. So the slide show will slowly zoom in to the left corner
    (for example), than pan down and to the right. You can control where
    it zooms and pans to during slide show creation, not with keystrokes
    during the show itself. It makes for very nice effects.

    >> - Setting timing for individual slides is not easily done (only with
    >> scripts, no user interface to do this).

    >In the beta this is possible without a script.

    Great!

    >> - No import a list of slides

    >Why do you want to do that? It's rather easy to make an album with
    >MyAlbum.

    Because I use IMatch as an image management system, and that is where
    I want to select which images are going to be in the slide show. The
    images themselves are in a bunch of different directories, in IMatch
    they are in one "category". I would like to export that list and then
    import it into MyAlbum, so I don't have to redo the selection process
    by hand.

    >> - It doesn't work with my two monitor setup (Win XP), it detects it as
    >> one monitor, so shows the image spread across the two monitors. There
    >> are no controls that affect this.

    >In settings (File -> settings) you can tell MyAlbum which monitor to use.
    >It has a Monitors tab. If it doesn't work, you can contact the author. He
    >is very helpful.

    Yes, I saw that, but it says I only have one monitor and all the other
    controls are therefore disabled. I will contact him, thanks.

    >> Do you have any idea when the next version will be available?

    >No. But I think the beta works fine :)
    >
    >Or is the beta open?
    >
    >Don't think so. The author, Pierre Meindre, gave me a download link for
    >the beta, because I needed it to make the Dutch translation. The link is
    >not on his site.
    >Even if the link still works, I don't think he would want me to disclose
    >it in a NG.

    Understood.

    Thanks for the helpful answers.

    Terry

    Terry, Jul 4, 2004
  13. Terry

    Onno Guest

    Terry <> wrote in

    [snip]
    >>> - No import a list of slides

    >>Why do you want to do that? It's rather easy to make an album with
    >>MyAlbum.

    > Because I use IMatch as an image management system, and that is where
    > I want to select which images are going to be in the slide show. The
    > images themselves are in a bunch of different directories, in IMatch
    > they are in one "category". I would like to export that list and then
    > import it into MyAlbum, so I don't have to redo the selection process
    > by hand.

    I see. Perhaps you should use MyAlbum as your image management system ;)
    Anyway, have you tried using drag and drop from IMatch to MyAlbum (or other
    album software). MyAlbum does support drag and drop to and from file
    managers, but I've never tried it with other album software.

    [snip]
    > Thanks for the helpful answers.

    You're welcome.

    --
    Onno

    Onno, Jul 4, 2004
  14. Terry

    Onno Guest

    Onno <> wrote in

    > Anyway, have you tried using drag and drop from IMatch to MyAlbum (or
    > other album software). MyAlbum does support drag and drop to and from
    > file managers, but I've never tried it with other album software.

    As I found out after some searching, there is a VBS script that should do
    it:
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/myalbum/axTest/LoadListFileToAlbum.vbs

    While this seems awkward, it isn't after setting it up, which takes a few
    minutes at most.
    Just go to Tools -> Run script
    Load the script
    Change 'd:\windows\sdk\alblist\AlbList.txt' to the file path of your
    exported list.
    Save the script.

    Then go to Tools -> Customize

    Browse to the script
    Give it a caption
    Give it a shortcut
    click on Add.

    From now on all you have to do is export your IMatch list to the text file
    specified in the script and then in MyAlbum click on Tools -> the caption
    you gave to the script.

    --
    Onno

    Onno, Jul 5, 2004
  15. Terry

    Terry Guest

    Onno wrote:

    >I see. Perhaps you should use MyAlbum as your image management system ;)

    <smile> IMatch is far superior to MyAlbum for image management. Really
    what I'd like is to improve the IMatch slideshow feature to include
    all the things I want. Unfortunately, I don't think that's going to
    happen soon, he's busy on other features.

    > Anyway, have you tried using drag and drop from IMatch to MyAlbum (or
    > other album software). MyAlbum does support drag and drop to and from
    > file managers, but I've never tried it with other album software.

    Yes, I tried this, doesn't work.

    >As I found out after some searching, there is a VBS script that should do
    >it:
    >http://perso.wanadoo.fr/myalbum/axTest/LoadListFileToAlbum.vbs

    This is great. I looked through the scripts, and I don't know how I
    missed this. Thanks!

    Terry

    Terry, Jul 5, 2004