Slide show on TV, quality display?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dave C, Feb 1, 2004.

  1. Dave C

    Dave C Guest

    Just about 10 years ago I bought a relatively cheap ($100) Kodak box for
    showing Kodak Photo CDs on my old 27" tube TV. The box came with a demo
    Photo CD, and the quality of the displayed image was not half bad when
    connected to the TV via composite or coax. I acquired another Photo CD, and
    its images also showed pretty good. (Whoever designed the digital to analog
    TV converter in that box was a genius.) Encouraged by this initial success
    I thought that the box plus a big TV might be a nice replacement for a slide
    projector.

    But I never converted to Photo CDs because of the expense and the
    inconvenience. Just stuck to projector slide shows when I had to show
    photos to an audience.

    But in recent years I bought a slide/film scanner and have become addicted
    to Photo Shop manipulation. Now I want to use manipulated images in my
    slide shows.

    Recently I bought a cheap "Cyber Home" DVD player which will play .JPG
    images on my (same old) TV. This might have been a solution, but the
    quality of the displayed images is not as good as those from the 10-year old
    Kodak box. Images are fuzzier than Kodak and they sort of scintilate at
    color edges.

    Question: Are there DVD players that will handle .JPGs and display better
    quality images on a regular TV?

    Observation: I made a test CD containing a good .JPG image at different
    resolutions. The size of the .JPG files ranges from about 2.8 Megs to 84 k.
    Yesterday I took the CD to a local Fry's Electronics superstore to see what
    the images would look like on really good TVs including HDTVs. I told the
    salesman he might be able to sell me an new TV if he could knock my socks
    off with an on-screen .JPG image. He tried but the results were pretty
    grim. He only had a couple of .JPG enabled DVD players hooked to expensive
    TVs. On those my .JPG images looked a little better than on my old TV at
    home. I was very surprised and disappointed.

    Fry's does have some very impressive looking TVs which are fed by high
    definition signals; but I guess that nobody bothers to build a good system
    for showing high resolution still images from a CD.

    Post Script: My cousin just showed me his new, $10,000+ plasma monitor
    system which displays knock-your-socks-off images taken with his $1000
    digital (5 meg) camera! I would be satisfied with his system - if I could
    just lay my hands on $11,000.

    Oh yes, I do know that I could spend $1000-$2000 for a digital projector;
    but that is still a pretty expensive investmentfor an occasional slide show.

    Seriously, I would like to hear if anybody has discovered a reasonably
    priced system for doing slide shows on a TV.

    Thanks,

    DaveC

    Dave C, Feb 1, 2004

  2. PAL :)
    j/k

    There are a number of DVD software products for creating slideshows out of images. Ulead DVD
    Pictureshow and Sonic MyDVD spring to mind. They convert your still images into a mpeg movie
    slideshow. They may be woth a look.

    --
    Colm

    Colm Gallagher, Feb 1, 2004

  3. Dave C

    Jacky Guest

    "Colm Gallagher" <> wrote in message news:<bvjsdg$s791p$-berlin.de>...
    > PAL :)
    > j/k
    >
    > There are a number of DVD software products for creating slideshows out of images. Ulead DVD
    > Pictureshow and Sonic MyDVD spring to mind. They convert your still images into a mpeg movie
    > slideshow. They may be woth a look.

    You can try Photo2DVD Studio 3. It should be just what you need.
    http://www.photo-to-dvd.com

    Jacky, Feb 2, 2004
  4. Dave C

    Guest

    >Seriously, I would like to hear if anybody has discovered a reasonably
    >priced system for doing slide shows on a TV.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >DaveC

    I've tried a few and the best I've come across is ULead DVD Picture
    Show (v.1). It gave excellent pictures on my 42in plasma, was easy to
    use, quick to make the disc, and squeezed lot of pictures on it -
    100s. I did briefly try v2 and it appeared to be taking up vastly more
    disc space with fewer pics. But I only played with it for a few
    minutes and haven't got back to it, so it may be my settings weren't
    right. Then again, maybe not. Anyway, none of the others that I tried
    came close to this one. Other people have said that they've had crap
    results with it, but I have no doubt as to the quality that I saw on
    my screen. The pictures were from a 4mp camera. Be warned that
    navigating a picture cd isn't so straightforward as with a dvd. You
    may have to play around with your remote to find which buttons work.

    MJ

    , Feb 2, 2004
  5. Dave C

    YoYo Guest

    I use the Lasonic DVF-982 just throw your cd or dvd with jpegs and it will
    do a top quality slide show automatically no software needed. This unit is
    portable also so great when dealing with customers....

    YoYo

    YoYo, Feb 2, 2004
  6. Dave C

    Alan Browne Guest

    Dave C wrote:

    > Seriously, I would like to hear if anybody has discovered a reasonably
    > priced system for doing slide shows on a TV.

    Yes indeed. Put your Kodak slide projector on top of the TV. Project
    your slides onto a screen or a nice white wall.

    Glad I could help.

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Browne, Feb 2, 2004
  7. Dave C

    Alan Browne Guest

    YoYo wrote:

    > I use the Lasonic DVF-982 just throw your cd or dvd with jpegs and it will
    > do a top quality slide show automatically no software needed. This unit is
    > portable also so great when dealing with customers....

    ....yeah at about 10% of the res. of a nice Velvia projection.

    Alan Browne, Feb 2, 2004
  8. Dave C

    Dave C Guest

    Thanks for the suggestions.

    With my present hardware and software I am able to put high res jpeg images
    on a CD, no problem. The trouble is the DVD player box converts the high
    res jpeg images into a pretty crappy feed for the TV.

    Is there some inherent advantage to going to mpegs or some other format? I
    do notice that the DVD movies I show on my TV look better than the jpeg
    images.

    DaveC

    Dave C, Feb 3, 2004